Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sneak Preview-New LdF Glasses
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Wild Bill Turkey
Through a unique confluence of events, I magically found myself presented, this morning, with a pre-release set of the new absinthe glass being produced for LdF by Cristalerias San Miguel, in Badalona, Spain, the makers of LdF's cordon glasses.

Hand-blown into original molds from 100+ years ago. Just beautiful.

If filled to exactly the top of the reservoir, the dose is 2cl, half the dose size of the hand-blown Pontarlier glasses.

IPB Image

IPB Image

My immediate reaction to the size of the dose is that the glass fills an important niche, party service. At big parties, especially, where large numbers of people are going to be drinking and sampling several absinthes. People don't want big drinks, even more so when most of the people at the party are new to absinthe. Everybody can have fresh, cold drinks of many absinthes, all night long, if the drinks are smaller.
And this doesn't feel like a small drink glass in your hand. It's a full size glass.
hartsmar
Yes, perfect for tastings. Smaller dose but a true absinthe-glass.
G&C
It's a nice looking glass, but I'd not buy one until they have a full dose version.

Something about drinking overwatered Absinthe doesn't appeal to me.
hartsmar
It is a full 2cl dose.
Marc
a 'baby' then
Absomphe
The old Absomphe would have considered that an oxymoronic statement, Hartsmar. evill.gif

However, 2cl. seems an adequate enough dose now, plus they're reasonably attractive.
traineraz
G&C, it is not required that you fill the glass to the top . . .

And they do look nicely done.
G&C
Whatever.

It seems a pity to waste the space in the glass.
Jack Batemaster
I hafta agree...why can't someone actually make a functional Absinthe glass?? One with a proper dose....I herd one existed, butt they changed the design the very next year.
Wild Bill Turkey
What would that be? There are glasses with 2, 3,and 4cl doses. What would a functional absinthe glass be?
crosby
I've said this before:
traineraz
So you fill it to his foot for 2 cl, the crotch for 3 cl, and the top of the martini glass for 4 cl?
G&C
I said I liked it, I just won't buy one because the dose is too small for me to bother with.

traineraz
You must be one of the few remaining Great Drinkers, then!
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Mild Dill Jerkey @ Jun 30 2006, 02:24 PM) *

What would that be? There are glasses with 2, 3,and 4cl doses. What would a functional absinthe glass be?

25ml, 35ml, and 45ml of course!
Jack Batemaster
And if you're The Prol Puller -- 25L, 35L and 45L...
Stroller
That would be alot of dead soldiers in Prol's trash.
The Standard Deviant
You wouldn't fill a wine glass to the top (I hope), so why fill an absinthe glass to the top?
Absomphe
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Jun 30 2006, 05:40 PM) *

And if you're The Prol Puller -- 25L, 35L and 45L...

Ah, the good old days...
crosby
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Jul 1 2006, 08:18 AM) *

You wouldn't fill a wine glass to the top ...

Why not?
Steve
My favorite modern glass is still the La Fée cut crystal one. It's perfectly proportioned for me, nice big dose and not a lot of room for excess water. I could do without the eye logo on the bottom.
Wild Bill Turkey
I always thought that looked like a good one too. I may have to break down and get one some day.
G&C
My favorite glass is a 1 liter.
Click to view attachment
I usually mix at 2:1

Notice the dose mark at 35cl. When topped off this baby will hold more than 1 liter of mixed drink.

That is an Absinthe Glass!
crosby
Same size as mine, but yours has a handle.
G&C
I have a rope to tie it around my neck so I don't drop it.

That' s why it still has the handle.
Absomphe
You, and Saint Bernards are cool.
G&C
No, St. Bernardus is cool.

I'm just getting warm.
Already 80 and not even noon.
Absomphe
They're cool for a commercial brewery, I suppose.

It's somewhat cooler in East Bumfuck today, temperaturewise, anyway.
petbottle
I actually like the new glass quite a bit. It's design is rather simple, but it has nice contours -- it looks like a good middle ground between the Pontarlier and the Cordon glasses. The size seems just about right for me, too, since I tend to mix a pretty high water to alcohol ratio.

Of course, I'm still drinking out of a miniature Coca-Cola glass received as a freebie from an internet cafe, so I suppose at this point just about anything is an improvement. IPB Image
SoulShade
That looks like a great glass Wild Bill, I'll have to look into it.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(SoulShade @ Jul 3 2006, 08:02 AM) *

That looks like a great glass Wild Bill, I'll have to look into it.

All you'll see is absinthe.
traineraz
All I'd see is the bottom. <GULP>
Absomphe
That's what they always say at the Cuff.
traineraz
. . . says King of the No Shoes.

Er, Shows.
Jack Batemaster
St. Bernadus tastes burnt™...™
Absomphe
Butt you Stille like it better than Roachfart 10, as I recall.
Jack Batemaster
Yes. I like the St. Bernardo.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Spoon @ Jul 1 2006, 11:15 AM) *

My favorite modern glass is still the La Fée cut crystal one. It's perfectly proportioned for me, nice big dose and not a lot of room for excess water. I could do without the eye logo on the bottom.

After Spoon recommended it so highly, I had to get one of these glasses, even though they're brutally expensive.
The proportions, and the shape, make the glass appear to be smaller in an isolated photo. In reality, the glass is gargantuan, by far the largest modern absinthe glass I've seen. But it still feels comfortable in your hand. It's also crystal, not ordinary glass, and the difference is obvious right away when it's standing beside a normal glass. At least you get what you pay for.

IPB Image
Steve
I hope you like it! They are hella expensive but a lot higher quality.
jacal01
My favorite is a 17th century wine goblet reproduction. It’s perfectly sized for a 2 oz. dose, and the curvature and wide mouth allows for indirect water drip all the way to full dilution, as well as opening up the essence aromas into the room.

I was gratified to see an exact replica in the HBO Elizabeth movie, which pointed out both the popularity of the style then, and the movie’s obvious faithfulness to the period costumes and props. Quality movie, BTW, and Helen Mirren was superb.

IPB Image
The Standard Deviant
I got some torsade mominettes the other day…
Wild Bill Turkey
Never heard of them. Post pictures?
Steve
Those are easily found in flea markets and antique shops in Paris. I don't know why I never bought any!
The Standard Deviant
Sorry it took so long Bill… I've put them in front of some reproduction torsade glasses for comparison.

IPB Image
Wild Bill Turkey
Never seen anything like them before! Those are great. They don't seem to show up on ebay, so I guess I have something to search for next time I go to France. Thanks for the pics, SD.
Absomphe
So that's what they're called!

I got one of those in a trade with Chrysippvs a few years ago, and neither of us could think what to refer to it as, except a mominette.

Thanks, Deviant. abs-cheers.gif
The Standard Deviant
I bought some on eBay last week, but I haven't gone home to England yet, so have no idea if they have arrived (I'll know on Wednesday). They were listed as "3 ANCIENS VERRES SEMI TORSADE", if that helps give an idea of how they might be listed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.