Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe Glass
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Amdusias
I just bought this glass and know little of it's history. As you can see it is a reservoir type glass, 7" tall but does have a rather thin stem. It does have some age on it, it is made of vaseline (uranium) glass and does flourescence under black light. And seeing as it was $11.00 I really didn't think I could be hurt by buying it.

Did I make a great buy? Or do I have an unusual wine glass? Either way it will be used for my favorite green beverage...lol.

IPB Image
Wild Bill Turkey
Well, I'm fairly certain it wasn't produced to be an "Absinthe Glass", but it looks like it would make a fine one. Regarding the reservoir, you should measure its capacity, and then measure out three additional amounts equal to the reservoir capacity, ( four parts total ) and see how full the glass is, so that you'll know about where to louche to.

My guess is the glass will not look very full at 3:1. This looks like it would be a better glass for making the Brut d'Alambic, where your pour ratio will be more like 5:1.

Anyway, considering that you can't even get a decent modern wine glass at Bevmo for less than 13.50, getting an antique uranium-glass this unique for 11.00 is still a good deal!
Amdusias
I normally like a 4-1 ratio just as a matter of personal taste so I am sure the glass will work fine as far as that goes. And, like you say, it is a great price for an older piece of vaseline glass. I wish they would of had a couple of them. (I like to buy pairs of glasses, I just like the symetery for display). I think Mosser is the only current manufacturer of vaseline glass in the US and sadly they don't offer anything like these.
Marc
Not an absinthe glass for sure, probably a water or wine glass (part of a complete glasses set), as for the age... hard to say... I would guess 30-40 years old, maybe less.
Amdusias
It is older than that, most likely made between 1920 and 1940 when the manufacture of vaseline glass was halted due to the uranium content. I don't think it is a mordern piece either or it would be easier to catalog, very few companies started to make vaseline glass after the ban on owning uranium was lifted. At any rate I will keep searching for other examples of reservoir glasses made of this material, I have quite a few pieces of uranium glass and have always loved the look.
Absomphe
I think you're correct about the age, Amdusias, and my guess is it's a cordial glass.
traineraz
It certainly does appear polite.
Absomphe
Yes, I wonder where those good manners stem from?
traineraz
The suppression of its dark base instincts, I imagine.
Marc
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jul 19 2006, 03:53 PM) *

I think you're correct about the age, Amdusias, and my guess is it's a cordial glass.

ooops sorry Amdusias, was looking at french glasses for comparison, was wrong...
I had a better look at american glasses and 'depression' period and vaseline and 'cordial' (hard to find the equivalent in France, except for the 'mazagran' glass maybe, but it was thicker).
So after having done some researches, I totally agree with Absomphe and yourself for the age and with Absomphe for the type of glass, i.e. cordial abs-cheers.gif
BTW, I didn't know there was so many vaseline glassware made in the US during 1920-1940, was impressed blink.gif
Amdusias
It is a bit large for a cordial glass I think, perhaps one design for port or even a nice single malt. The reservoir would allow for a nice bouquet to develope. I just ordered two bottles from LdF, I will give it a try with them and see how well it serves as a glass destined for L'Heure Verte.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.