Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Grilles and Sugar Tongs from Kirk
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Oxygenee
For those who don't get my newsletter:
http://www.oxygenee.com/absintheWEBSHOP5.html
grey boy
I've seen those tongs in person and they are gorgeous.
More fantastic stuff Kirk!
Absomphe
Nonpareil, as always, Zilbermeister! chickawow.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
GTO said it best:
PTFA! This is the new belle epoque. Screw the antiques, support a living artist.
Artemis
Agreed, but what does he have in the way of a flying monkee grille?
DereksArt
I really want to buy some items from Kirk but the prices seem really high. Don't jump all over me for this but, since I have some exp. in contracting with some artists (silver and gems), the 2006 Artemisia Grill which is $145, in my opinion, should only be around $70 at best. That's factoring out selling about 200 over two years time. Same with the tongs - $175? Ouch. Looking at about $80 for that one. Artemisia Spoon for $285? I could see about $170 for that one since it's a bit bigger and only 100 made. His cane is a one of a kind, but $5000? Drop it to $2500 and someone will actually buy it unless you really don't want it sold and it's a personal favorite of Kirks. Go ahead - rip me a new one but this is only one persons opinion and seems that those who buy his items really cherish them.

Marc
Expensive blink.gif
Naaa, they are really cheap for one-of-a-kind handworked masterpieces.
It is 'art' DereksArt, I don't mind paying $1000 for a 50ex B&W photograph if I love it, same with Kirk's spoons except they're cheap.
And remember Oxy's prices include worldwide shipping, and also remember he needs a lot of money for the OAF (Oxygenee's Absinthiana Foundation) wink.gif
Jaded Prole
One should factor in his labor as he is a classic artisan who eschews modern methods of mass production and much of "value" is in the labor involved. In Kirk's you should consider that these designs are his creations and are not just fancy paraphenalia but art. Also he gives much of his work away and is certainly one of the most generous people on this veil of tears.
eric
So why don't you develop your silver smithing skills?

Maybe you could hire an artist of Kirks caliber and pay him in peanuts. I am sure there must be a lot of them walking around looking for a smart guy like you to tell them what to do. Any volunteers?

You could then produce something of equal or better quality and undercut his prices.

It is really just that simple.

cdog-plain.gif
Jaded Prole
Sounds like the American Way.
Oxygenee
I'm an interested party in this of course, but I really strongly disagree - I think Kirk's stuff is pretty reasonably priced for what it is.

Kirks grilles are all made in limited editions (which means the cost of development, and of producing the moulds, is spread out over a finite number of copies). Each piece is signed by Kirk. Each piece is individually hand-finished - a time consuming and laborious process. Most importantly, these pieces are, in my opinion, minature works of art. Taking the new Artemisia grille as an example, I really have a hard time believing that you could find any silver art anywhere of equivalent weight, workmanship and remotely equivalent artisitic quality for less than $145.

For what it's worth btw, the new range is selling so well, that Kirk is struggling to keep up with the demand.
traineraz
A Tiffany lampshade is just a bunch of cut, colored glass and lead. Shouldn't sell for more than, say, $50.

A Stickley chair is just pieces of cut wood, and you sit on it. It shouldn't sell for more than about $75.

An Ansel Adams original photograph is just a print from a negative on photo paper. $20.

The Mona Lisa is gobs of pigmented goo on a piece of wood. $100, but only because it's really old.

Right?

The proper price for anything is what the market will bear. That's how capitalism works. When dealing with the work of artists or artisans, their design skills, labor, and imagination are part of what you buy, not just the raw materials.

In other news, Kirk also likes to give pieces away -- yes, GIVE, as in FREE -- at events, and would probably have been willing to discuss a "special deal" had you asked politely if there were a way to make his work affordable for your budget.

This piece may be better suited to your posting style:

IPB Image
DereksArt
QUOTE(eric @ Aug 14 2006, 06:07 PM) *

Maybe you could hire an artist of Kirks caliber and pay him in peanuts.

This is what I was trying to avoid.

I am talking about an artist that comes up with an original, makes casts, creates as many pieces as possible before the cast goes bad. I was not aware that he makes each one by hand - never heard that. Then I agree, his prices are more than justified. I am sorry if I offended Kirk or Oxy in any way. That was not my intention. I would love some of his pieces and will aquire them sooner than later.
DereksArt
QUOTE(traineraz @ Aug 14 2006, 06:26 PM) *

A Tiffany lampshade ... [edit long rambling sarcastic comment that was pretty obsurd at best]

Kirk
Thanks for the moral support you guys.
I really have been putting a lot of time into this and the per hour profit is negligible, it always has been.
It's really a labor of love, it takes a lot of blood sweat and tears too. If it weren't for the demons I'd probably quit.
Derek, if you think I am getting rich off my art maybe you should come and spend a couple days with me and watch me work, see what I do, see what it pays and how I spend the money.
I'd also like to take a look at any canvas and paint you might have for sale or trade.
You are seriously welcome here, although I live in a shack in dog patch my door is always open.
DereksArt
Like I said, I was mistaken on how you create what you create and for that I am sorry. I feel your prices are more than worth it.
Wild Bill Turkey
BTW, just to be clear-
The "screw the antiques" comment was not a plea to get Absomphe laid.
eric
Derek, I am sure that Kirk appreciates your humble retraction as do I.

Let us all have another drink.

You all can come by my place as well. The Absinthe will be on me.

I got lots of the stuff.

abs-cheers.gif
Marc
I have both antiques and kirk's spoon/grilles all together on the same shelf, in perfect harmony, but I couldn't add any repro on that shelf, they're not playing in the same category.
Kirk's works are originals, that's why I love them as much as my antiques, think about the Artemisia spoon in 50 or 100 years, showing its own patina after having served thousands of absinthe glasses.
DereksArt
That's a pretty sweet picture. Something like this?

Absomphe
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Aug 14 2006, 04:09 PM) *

BTW, just to be clear-
The "screw the antiques" comment was not a plea to get Absomphe laid.

Thanks, Wild Bill.

I spent a year in law school during my misspent youth, so I'm perfectly capable of entering my own pleas, however, as Mrs. A can surely testify to. biggrin.gif
MrsAbsomphe
I plead the Fifth.

---Tish looking-up.gif
traineraz
Were I in your shoes, I'd plead FOR a fifth.

abs-cheers.gif
justabob
QUOTE(eric @ Aug 14 2006, 03:24 PM) *

I got lots of the stuff.

abs-cheers.gif

I got the same problem blink.gif
Oxygenee
QUOTE(DereksArt @ Aug 15 2006, 02:02 AM) *

Like I said, I was mistaken on how you create what you create and for that I am sorry. I feel your prices are more than worth it.

Thanks for the apology Derek, but it really wasn't necessary.

A simple large, pre-paid cash order would have been just as good.
Stroller
QUOTE(DereksArt @ Aug 14 2006, 02:14 PM) *

I really want to buy some items from Kirk but the prices seem really high. Don't jump all over me for this but, since I have some exp. in contracting with some artists (silver and gems)

Derek, do you own some type of art shop? I was guessing you were an artist by trade but your post sounded more like you buy & sell art.
DereksArt
I'm an artist of a different sort but have contracted with other artists in the past.
Stroller
What do you do? Or is art more of a hobby?
Absomphe
QUOTE(traineraz @ Aug 14 2006, 07:27 PM) *

Were I in your shoes, I'd plead FOR a fifth.

abs-cheers.gif

I'm sure you'd love being in her shoes, literally, Sailor. harhar.gif

traineraz
Hope she's got some big feets, USO Girl.

Now, stop trying to distract everyone from Stroller and Derek's discussion about art an' stuff. Otherwise, I will have to post THIS again.

DAMMIT! Too late!
Absomphe
I hope Freeeeeeedie will PTFA, and take some musical and lyrical pointers! chickawow.gif
DereksArt
QUOTE(Stroller @ Aug 15 2006, 01:28 PM) *

What do you do? Or is art more of a hobby?

It's something I can turn on or off. But getting paid for it is nice. I am not Derek Hess. He is a recovering alcoholic.
Stroller
Any photos you can post?
Artemis
I have a number of Kirk's pieces, and for these I paid nothing. So the list prices go to cover freeloaders such as myself. Kirk is generous beyond imagination. It's true that he would rather barter, but his requirements are, shall we say, rather specific. Artists supporting artists, as it were.
grey boy
Nothing wrong with that.

His skills deserve nothing but the finest in return.
DereksArt
QUOTE(Stroller @ Aug 15 2006, 05:12 PM) *

Any photos you can post?

Where should I post them?
eric
In Mr. Creepy's Art Hole of course.
Stroller
Gertz may have some competition. I don't think I've seen any pics of his work lately.
Kirk
You all can come by my place as well. The Absinthe will be on me.

Is it any good?
Jack Batemaster
It taint burnt™.
Kirk
But is it pretty good?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.