Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: www.thujone.info
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Dr Magnan's Lab
Oxygenee
Still a work in progress, but it's starting to take shape.

The longer term aim is to do for the scientific and technical side of absinthe what my Virtual Museum site does for the historical side: put as much information and source material as possible into the public domain.

The two key parts of the site are:
i.) a list of every significant peer-reviewed scientific article on thujone and absinthe, with either an abstract or wherever possible the full text (usually in PDF).
ii.) a databank of independent, 3rd party thujone analyses of both contemporary and vintage absinthes. There's much more work to be done on this section in particular.

Would appreciate comments and suggestions.
Lord Stanley
Have you spoken with Dr. O?

I know that he has a lot of insignificant, non-peer-reviewed, unscientific information.
Plus, he can be kinda abstract.
traineraz
O is unique, making him his only peer.

Thus everything he writes is, by virtue of his having written it, peer-reviewed.
hartsmar
Dr O is a good man. Many good people have strange beliefs. Dr O is one of them. I still like him.

This is an excellent page. Pure hard facts with the history behind it all. The one thing anyone would eventually need to find out whatever they like about thujone and absinthe together and it's "effect".

Good job!
G&C
O, is my hero.

Don't discount him.
Absomphe
Well, if he happens to go on sale...
traineraz
There's a coupon in the Sunday paper.
dr_ordinaire
Hey guys, haven't you learned from vampire movies? They only come in if you call them.

So, let the Dr. lie (hmmmm, I might want to rephrase that...)

I promise to come back only every two years or so, to show you the difference between the old "reality" and the new "realite-du-jour". As defined (or decided) by you-know-who and friends.

As in the transition from: "Amer are abominations targeted to the thujone crowd" to "Amers are perfecty acceptable absinthes".

eric
Hi! Dr. O.

abs-cheers.gif

traineraz
QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Aug 27 2006, 04:43 PM) *

I promise to come back only every two years or so, to show you the difference between the old "reality" and the new "realite-du-jour". As defined (or decided) by you-know-who and friends.

. . . just so you don't edit it out.

See ya in 2008!
dr_ordinaire
It was Head who altered posts, Trainer, not me... We couldn't toss him for hacking, since he actually was one of the moderators...

I promised not to come back PROVIDED that I'm not invited. You did it twice.

The only way to get rid of the dreaded Dr. is respectful silence.

Shhhhh......
traineraz
Your promise (as quoted above) said nothing about "being called" or not.

I'm afraid you can't change it now.

See ya in 2008!
hartsmar
Every two years, eh? Well, Doc... Here you are

on Sept 15, 2005:
QUOTE(dr_ordinaire)
Yeah, OK, the Spanish thing was…to cool my hurt feelings…

OK, the Emmert thing was pretty definitive. There are loose ends (the 25 mg/L of Ian's study) but there are also loose ends in evolution. Or in astrophysics.

OK, I recognize that traditional absinthe may not have a lot of in it. It is tough to imagine millions of frogs having a simultaneous hallucination, but, I'll eat it.

The end.

Link to post: http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?s=...ost&p=95645

But I don't want you to go Doc!
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE(traineraz @ Aug 27 2006, 10:56 PM) *

Your promise (as quoted above) said nothing about "being called" or not.

I'm afraid you can't change it now.

See ya in 2008!

You are not too smart are you? Or you read bottom to top? (No pun intended)

But why bother? This is the typical bullshit I have to deal with by cocksuckers that try to "shield" T-d from criticism. (Nothing personal, Trainer, nor it has to do with your sexual orientation. ALL those who kowtow to T-d are cocksuckers to me...)

They try to distract us from the important thing. Which I won't repeat, because everybody here knows what it is.
dr_ordinaire
Sorry for the "C" word, guys. I really prefer the more dignified "minions".
eric
Oh Heck Dr. O, I do not want you to leave.

It just that sometimes it is hard to tell if you are talking about porkchops or whatshisname.

You seem to flip back and forth between the two subjects in a rather ambiguous manner.

If you could stick to one subject at a time, we all might just have an interesting conversation.

In any case my door is always open to you.
eric
Even if you do despise me.
Jaded Prole
Don't Go, O! Entertainment aside, you are a necessary iconoclast, (and some of those horses may still be alive after all).

Consider this an invitation!
sixela
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Aug 25 2006, 07:15 PM) *

ii.) a databank of independent, 3rd party thujone analyses of both contemporary and vintage absinthes. There's much more work to be done on this section in particular.

Would appreciate comments and suggestions.

For a paper discussing what chop.gif test results (and other tests) can tell you about absinthe, see also this. The poster is interesting in its own right, showing the immense spread in chop.gif content for distilled absinthes and some correlation between quality and (real, as opposed to advertised) chop.gif content - though there are obviously outliers caused by e.g. distilled absinthes coloured with grande absinthe (blech!).

And, of course, there's also the first paper with chop.gif tests by the same team.

And, of course, there's also table 6 in http://www.thujoneinfo.com/thujone-absinthe-3.html (also by that team) - a nice summary covering several independent studies (with references to the original articles at the end of the article). It's already on the site, but there's no pointer to that data in the "testing" section.
Oxygenee
I've substantially increased the number of linked papers on the site, from 18 to 31. Amongst the new ones are several from the Belle Epoque era that have never been available online before, including Amory's influential 1868 article from the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal, and a fascinating 1910 German paper on the analysis of absinthe and its essential oils.

New data has also been added to the Thujone Testing section.
turangalila
Oxy. Wonderful job on chop.gif.info. I'm looking forward to reading through it. It's exactly what I was hoping for two years ago.
SethP
A little bump to this thread:

What has happened to chop.gif.info? Is it beeing re-worked, or perhaps even shut down?
Nowadays I only get the message "Under construction" when I visit the site and it's been that way for at least a couple of days now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.