Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe: Sip of Seduction
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Brett
I had not expected to acquire Betina's book, but surprisingly enough, I found a copy at Chapter's. Well it seems well put together, I haven't had a chance to read much of it.

One objection, and this is something that really affect's an author's credibility: why bother reviewing something that is not even available?

There is a review of Jade's Absithe Nouvelle-Orleans and a website listed as if its been available for quite some time. However, as we all know, the website makes no indication that this absinthe is available to anyone and it really makes Betina lose credibility reviewing "non-existant" products.

Or is this maybe an indicator that Jade is close to actually coming out on a commercial basis?
Absomphe
Brett: As usual, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any Jade products. I'm sure the review is included as "payment" for Ted's involvement with the book (I believe he was the editor).
Just keep Jade way back on the burner...and maybe SOMEDAY............. spam.gif
I_B_Puffin
Ted was an editor of the book. So at least you know the book will be factually correct. Well, except maybe when it comes to Jade. If I were you, I would hold no expectations about Jades release. Forget about it, and if it actually does every come out, count yourself lucky.
Brett
Well, I never get my hopes up for Jade. I just thought that maybe a review meant that sometime, in the not-to-distant future, possibly shortly after we colonize Mars, Jade may make an appearance. sp_ike.gif
Brews
Her book is the first one on the list at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Speaking of Betina, I emailed her over a week ago and no answer. no.gif
Kallisti
Wow, someone is selling the used hardcover for $196!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/store...2165982-0467911

Good luck, buddy!

(Betina is usually very good with answering the emails, but she travels a TON. She's probably just stuck somewhere w/o an internet cafe.)
Brews
Thanks for the info Kallisti. wormwood.gif
crosby
QUOTE (Brett @ Dec 10 2003, 10:16 AM)
...and it really makes Betina lose credibility reviewing "non-existant" products.

I wasn't aware of her having any to lose.
Kallisti
To be accurate, the product exists but has just been in development stage for too long. I've had it (as have more than a few here). It's yummy. bye1.gif
Rimbaud
QUOTE (kallisti @ Dec 11 2003, 06:21 PM)
I've had it (as have more than a few here). It's yummy. bye1.gif

Indeed! hyper.gif
Absomphe
Super Yummy even...but I wonder how that would translate to large scale distillation?
Donnie Darko
I'm sure they've already got that part worked out. The problem is WHERE to do the large scale distillation.
Absomphe
Donnie: Yes I know...I 've always thought that Southeast Asia was a bit of an odd choice. I understood wanting to keep costs down, so that the products would be affordable, but if that were my incipient business, I would have been worrying about issues like political and economic stability...but that's just me hyper.gif
Maldoror
Yeah, but they have to produce their products in the original ground to keep them in competition... I wouldn´t pay a large sum of money for a product of Thailand for example....
I_B_Puffin
QUOTE (Maldoror @ Dec 13 2003, 03:36 PM)
I wouldn´t pay a large sum of money for a product of Thailand for example....

I wouldn't care where it was made, only how good it was.

As far as production goes, there are dozens of places producing absinthe now, and probably hundreds more that could. I have no idea why Jade can't be produced when no one else seems to have problems producing absinthe. Only Ted can say why and he hasn't.
Maldoror
QUOTE (I_B_Puffin @ Dec 13 2003, 07:51 PM)
I wouldn't care where it was made, only how good it was.

Yeah, you are right! The place shouldn´t matter...
Z.v.E
.. I am still waiting for my ltd edition hardcover.....

bobw.gif <-- who is Bob?
Kallisti
are you? I would write the publisher if it has been awhile. you should have gotten it by now.

Bob is BOB WILKINS! Wooo!

http://www.bobwilkins.tv/

Artemis
Let's say you're a U.S. citizen, living in the U.S.
You want to start an absinthe distillery. Where are you going to place it? The U.S. is ruled out immediately for obvious reasons. There are any number of possible locations, but you have a willing partner living in Thailand, which happens to be one of said locations, who can do what needs to be done. Will you ask him to move to some other country, or just go for it in Thailand? It's not complicated. This is a theoretical discussion. Any resemblance to actual people and events may be coincidental.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (I_B_Puffin @ Dec 13 2003, 07:51 PM)
I have no idea why Jade can't be produced

How do you know it isn't being produced? For all we know the stills might be running somewhere at this very moment, then it will age for a few months (who knows how long the distiller deems fit, but I would guess 4-6 months), and then we'll get a big surprise.

This is all speculation of course and has no bearing on real people or events.
I_B_Puffin
I don't know it's not being produced, but it's been coming out soon for something like 3 or 4 years. I don't see why the announcement this time is any more believable. Just look at Teds website, it still says 2002. I would think if it really was being produced now he would update his site and send out announcements. I don't think anyone has been sent a coming out soon announcement in over a year.
Brett
Perhaps Jade will never come out, perhaps it already exists within each and every one of us...oh wait, that's hope.

And the spirits of Christmas is despair.
Artemis
"I don't think anyone has been sent a coming out soon announcement in over a year."

The guy has been burned before by predictions he couldn't meet, and most of them weren't even made by him. If I were him, I wouldn't say anything, let the website gather dust, and then blow the doors off at the proper moment.
Absomphe
Artemis: Point well taken...I might opt for the same strategy...and pigs might sprout wings and fly! Just funnin'...none of us has any idea what Ted and cohorts might do, or when...time will tell ultimately...I just hope I'm still around to sample the triumph...I'm not getting any younger you know! Santa.png
Donnie Darko
In any case, one unintended benefit of Jade's delay is that the quality of Ted's product has inspired many to see if they can achieve something of comparable quality on their own.

A few have actually come close... these are exciting times.
Z.v.E
QUOTE (kallisti @ Dec 14 2003, 09:52 PM)
are you?  I would write the publisher if it has been awhile.  you should have gotten it by now.

Bob is BOB WILKINS!  Wooo!

http://www.bobwilkins.tv/

I did a while ago... the book was shipped around 10th November and it was too early to consider it lost.. I will wait...and wait

Still don't know Bob.. but ok I don't watch television..

tv_horror.gif
Absomphe
Donnie: Excellent point! These are exciting times indeed...and a little birdie has hinted that they may become even moreso. I can only wonder, like everyone else, what that may entail... wacko.gif
Artemis
"none of us has any idea what Ted and cohorts might do, or when"

Actually, I have a very good idea, because he told me not long ago, but, in the immortal words of Ernest T. Bass:

"I ain't talkin, I ain't talkin. the more yer askin, the more Ah'm balkin"
Absomphe
In the immortal words of Jim Carey:" Well alllllllllllllllllllrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighteeeeeeeeeeeee then!!!!" Smokin Monkey.gif
Z.v.E
The book arrived today. Nice pictures. Looks fine to me.

Glad it arrived just before 'the most horrible time of the year'.... something new to read...

Kirk
QUOTE (Artemis @ Dec 15 2003, 09:27 AM)
a willing partner living in Thailand, which happens to be one of said locations, who can do what needs to be done.

Is there any High altitude in Thailand ? I like those high altitude esters! Too bad politicians don't stay bought ( and S. and M. ain't what it used to be!)
Absomphe
Kirk: "High" and "Thailand"....Two great tastes that don't taste great together... dev.gif
hartsmar
I got my Lim Ed Hardcover a couple of weeks back. And I like it. But, just a few days before sip of seduction arrived, I got "Absinthe - a Myth always Green" aswell, and I like that one better.

Just so y'all know. yes.gif

Absomphe
Hatrtsmar: The artwork in "Absinthe: A sip of Seduction is wonderful...if not quite as comprehensive as: Absinthe: History In a Bottle.
As to Absinthe: A Myth Always Green...Wonderfully Quirky, offbeat references, and anecdotes...unbeatable for the absinthe cognascenti!!
Conju
I thought "Absinthe: Sip of Seduction" was a pretty good first-time-induction-into-absinthe-book for me and would highly reccomend it to the newbies in the forum (including myself). however, I found her use of the word "albeit" to be rather excessive.
I then proceeded on to "The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History". I thought this book was rather good, however a little redundant to the first book I read. Although it did provide some other interesting facts that the previous did not mention.
Right now, I am about Halfway through "Absinthe: History in A Bottle". And am finding it to be a rather good read, but yet again redundant to the first two. After I finish with this book, I will proceed on to "Absinthe: A Myth Always Green", and will review the latter two books in more detail. But for now, I would highly reccomend the first book, and moderately reccomend the second. due to the multitude of difficult words that are hard for a prodigal ADD child (such as myself) to follow. fez.gif

cocktail1.gif Cocktails all around! cocktail1.gif
hartsmar
Well, Sip of Seduction is a wonderful book, sure is.
However, I find that History in a Bottle is far more factual.
But this far, A Myth always Green, is my absolute favourite. A combination of them all, with loads of facts, glossy paper, fancy photos and lovely stories and anecdotes... That'd be a hit.

The only thing I really miss is some form of "bonus" along with the books. Magazines usually have some perfume samples or such included... When will we see a book on absinthe, with a sample of Un Emile included?! w00t2.gif

Absomphe
Hartsmar: Great idea w00t2.gif Unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath...well, maybe for the Fou-Juice! dev.gif
Brews
Did a search for Absinthe on Barns & Nobel and Amazon earlier today and found a cornucopia of tomes.

B & N has a hard copy of Absinthe: History in a Bottle for $224.99!
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/OopBooks/...n=2781840221326

And Amazon even has French Absinthe Glasses, a set of 6 for $44.95. Pretty cool.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...itchen&n=507846
Conju
Even if they did do that, it would probably show up in one of those "ketchup packet" type deals. and you would probably end up spilling it all over just trying to open up the packet.
Absomphe
Conju: You're not calling my spiritual brothers Peter and Ian cheapwads, now are you? headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
Conju
Naw. If theres anything I learned from this forum, its "blame it on the czech".
Absomphe
Conju: Ah then are an apt pupil, Grasshopper. When you can snatch this Fou-Juice from my hand, it will be time for you to leave!! ( With apologies to Key Luke! bye1.gif
Kallisti
I then proceeded on to "The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History".

Recently found out that this site is mis-accredited in that book to my Sepulchritude partner Mordantia Bat.

Bat thinks it is because her name sounds spookier. looking-up.gif

I have the book but strangely have never read it all the way through. So it had to take a friend of ours reading it and reporting back to find out. Bastard writers.

crosby
That's a lame ass mistake. I think it's time for more fun with word filters.

Buttina guillotine.gif
Conju
Additional Generic post crosby! headbonk.gif myself
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.