Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WW1 Trench Art Absinthiana
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Symbiote
These were sent to me by a friend who is involved with some French WW1 re-enactors. I wasn’t able to find them in any searches here so I hope they are not duplicates. Enjoy.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Standard Deviant
http://www.oxygenee.com/absintheSPOONS6.html?
Symbiote
Thanks Standard. I knew it had to be somewhere.
Oxygenee
The spoon's from my collection, but the postcard shown on my website is by kind permission of Pierreverte.
Anything World War I related referencing absinthe is scarce, because the drink was banned in the frst few weeks of the war.
GeraldDuval
Wow! Talk about a small world. Your friend didn't happen to get those pictures of the Great War Associations online forums did he? I'm a World War 1 Reenactor as well and I posted those pictures (with credit given to oxy's spectacular site of course) amongst others in a topic discussing French military drinks. I would be really excited if there were more absintheurs in the trenches...

By the way, oxygenee, do you have any info on the Military distribution of absinthe? I know that the french army issued it in hospitals to help stomache problems, I'm curious to know what brand, how much, etc...was issued...
pierreverte
>Anything World War I related referencing absinthe is scarce, because the drink was banned in the frst few weeks of the war

so what DID you do in the war after you were banned, absinthe?
GeraldDuval
So, from what I understand, the distilleries re-distilled the absinthe into a diffrent liquor? Is my french that bad, or is it really that odd. I wonder what the "Bon Gout" Liquor they talk about is...

Though I'm glad to see the date on it. Fee Verte survived atleast until 1916. I wonder what it's availability to the troops was after the ban. There is atleast one incident that I can remember during the Somme Campaign (1916), A group of british soldiers took cover in an abandoned cellar during one of the assaults. To their luck it was stocked full of Wine and Absinthe. They were eventually court-marshaled for being drunk on duty.

Definately a cool find. Do you happen to have that in a higher res?
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(GeraldDuval @ Sep 6 2006, 07:17 PM) *

There is atleast one incident that I can remember during the Somme Campaign (1916)

And I thought Absomphe was our oldest member...
pierreverte
the letter is a form letter sent to absinthe distilleries that said that they could sell their reserves of now illegal absinthe to this distillery owner, who was authorized to pay them a fair price for a product they could no longer sell and then he would redistill (rectify) the absinthe into pure alcohol (the alcohol named BON GOUT), which would then be sold to the French ministry of war, to be used in the manufacture of gun powder. The letter goes on to say that the absinthe could only be delivered in barrels or demijohns, and not in normal bottles and that the purchase price would be 8% over the cost.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Sep 6 2006, 08:34 PM) *

And I thought Absomphe was our oldest member...

Oh, c'mon, Wild Bill...

How could any mortal be older than Artemis?
Wild Bill Turkey
Artemis is mortal?
Donnie Darko
He did defeat Mehrunes Dagon, so it's entirely possible he isn't.
GeraldDuval
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Sep 7 2006, 11:16 AM) *

He did defeat Mehrunes Dagon, so it's entirely possible he isn't.

Haha! So that's the true identity of the last Septium king!

Anyway, That's really interesting. The last thing I would have expected is them to turn absinthe into gunpowder...I bet it killed more people in that form than it did as liquor.
Wild Bill Turkey
Rilly, talk about beating plowshares into swords...
Absomphe
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Sep 7 2006, 11:52 AM) *

Artemis is mortal?

No she isn't.

At least the last time I checked. wink.gif
Artemis
Mehrunes Dagon wasn't so tough my first time through.

The second time, I've left Martin Septim freezing his nuts off on a balcony in Bruma, that Alpine town, while I entertain myself murdering and looting in the tropics. This second character could take Mehrunes Dagon bare-handed. Oblivion ain't what it used to be.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Sep 7 2006, 02:21 PM) *

the letter is a form letter sent to absinthe distilleries that said that they could sell their reserves of now illegal absinthe to this distillery owner, who was authorized to pay them a fair price for a product they could no longer sell and then he would redistill (rectify) the absinthe into pure alcohol (the alcohol named BON GOUT), which would then be sold to the French ministry of war, to be used in the manufacture of gun powder.

It didn't take long for the crack team of researchers we employ here at The Virtual Absinthe Museum to come up with some independent corroboration:

From the Washington Post, 3rd October 1915
Oxygenee
...and from the Clearfield Progress, 4th November 1915

Jaded Prole
What a sad waste of absinthe. Truly a crime against humanity!
Oxygenee
Literally, the first thujone-bomb.
Absomphe
I wonder if those made the HUN tripbalz™.
brucer
Well done, Oxy. I thought making gunpowder from alcohol seemed a little strange. What was meant, of course, was nitro-cellulose. Note too, this is not actually for the shells themselves (ie high explosive) but for the cartridge (ie propellant).

Bruce
Symbiote
QUOTE(GeraldDuval @ Sep 6 2006, 01:48 PM) *

Wow! Talk about a small world. Your friend didn't happen to get those pictures of the Great War Associations online forums did he? I'm a World War 1 Reenactor as well and I posted those pictures (with credit given to oxy's spectacular site of course) amongst others in a topic discussing French military drinks. I would be really excited if there were more absintheurs in the trenches...

Possibly, He has been chatting online with some WW1 reenactors for a while now. I know he has dreams of putting together a French uniform so he can join up with them but it seems that buying one is out of reach for him right now. You may already know him. I'll point out this thread to him next time we get together. He is the one who introduced me to Absinthe. I owe, err... I mean I blame it all on him.

Cheers abs-cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.