Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Labels on Ebay
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Pages: 1, 2
DereksArt
I see tons of preban labels on ebay - where the hell are these coming from? Some even have little stains on them. They do not look like reproductions. Are there that many bottles out there that they remove the labels? Wouldn't that lower the value? Curious where they are getting these from.
hartsmar
There have been stamp collectors ever since the first stamp was made. Label collectors have been around probably since day one of the label itself...
Donnie Darko
I'm sure JMFranc has something to do with it.
hartsmar
HA HA HA!
abs-cheers.gif
DereksArt
I did some searches and found some reprinted preban labels from France. Are they selling these as originals?

Such as:

This one.

And this one.

And even this one.

Did someone named JMfranc make these or something?
Hiram
He didn't make them, but don't be surprised if they show up on a bottle of "pre-ban" sometime soon.
DereksArt
I guess this topic is kind of over but isn't it odd that these preban labels, still in VERY good condition, would appear on ebay.fr?

At first it made me think there was tons of preban out there and after they finished it they removed the labels. Don't know what to think now.

Oxy? Any first hand knowledge of someone selling genuine preban labels? I'm surprised more people aren't pissed off about this stuff.
Hiram
What's to be pissed off about? Do you know they're fake?

pierreverte
all you posted ARE real labels...never been used. sometimes found in old distilleries' storage; though many are generic and came from old print-shop stocks...there are now a few repros floating around, but you have to know what you are looking at and how the label was printed...it's very expensive today to have good labels printed, especially to try to pass off as originals. Most people are surprised to know that some of these labels survived unused, and as a collectable, they are undervalued...
DereksArt
Thank you pierreverte, I was hoping someone might give some good info. That answers my question.
G&C
You're welcome, Jim.
Stroller
With the volume of other unused labels (fruit crate, can, bottle) around, I'm surpised there aren't more turning up on ebay.

I don't think JMFranc will be playing label games anytime soon.
Wild Bill Turkey
Somehow I hadn't noticed this topic until just now.
I've been collecting vintage labels since I had my first sip of absinthe. I have about two dozen different labels, and could have collected more, but I'm only interested in the ones that are actually attractive. Some of them are just gorgeous.

You can tell right away when they're genuine, because as PierreVerte said, the expensive printing gives them away. Most of them are printed with 4-5 ink colors, but not using the 4-color proccess to make a full spectrum of colors. This is old-time letterpress printing, where each color is distinct. Often a metallic silver or gold is used. You can see the impression left on the paper by the press, as well as the actual edge of the layer of ink (which you wouldn't see with today's printing) and there is usually a topcoat of varnish, yellowed with age.

Butty sells a wide variety of repro labels on her site ( which I won't post a link to) and they're pretty inexpensive, ( imagine her selling something cheap! ) but, having never ordered from her, I have no idea what the quality is like.
crosby
Prolly right out of the inkjet printer, just like the ones she puts on the bottles of LB she sells.
Kirk
I was a little dissapointed when the label on my $225 bottle of booze bled all over my wifes grandmothers lace table cloth.
"Yeah honey, sorry, the booze is good but I guess the labels suck".
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(G&C @ Sep 2 2006, 08:04 PM) *

You're welcome, Jim.

I guess no one PTFA!!!
G&C
They rarely do.
Jack Batemaster
Sad, taint tit?
G&C
Indeed.
Nymphadora
There were a few that noticed.
Absomphe
who.
Nymphadora
Ummmmm..............me. I knew what to look for, though. Dereksart / JMFranc sent me his revealing post August 2nd. I had thought about unveiling the info sooner, but others convinced me it would be fun to wait until he trips.
G&C
Labels, bottles, fake pre-ban.

It all stinks of Jim.
DereksArt
Fake preban? I see no proof of that.

Labels? I would like to frame a couple.

Bottles? I bought a couple from Oxy with labels on them.
Nymphadora
Ok, I used to think maybe you were a con man. Still trying to deny who you are?! I think you are fucking insane.
Fredie
But HEY, at least he's inanely insane.... and that's at least entertaining!
Sorta like watching Faces of Death synched up to The Cure!! harhar.gif
ubu
Fredie: [/i]"Sorta like watching Faces of Death synched up to The Cure!!"[/i]

I'm easily (inanely) entertained. I think I just might try it.
Hiram
QUOTE(Nymphadora @ Sep 22 2006, 08:24 PM) *
There were a few that noticed.
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Sep 22 2006, 09:17 PM) *
who.

Everyone who knew already over a month ago but were waiting to watch him hang himself before blurting it right out like the snot-nosed kid at a magic show who tells everybody where the dove went because he thinks he's the only clever one in the room.

That's who.
eric
Somebody told me quite a while back. I forget who. I never said anything. Just wanted to see how it would unfold.
Nymphadora
QUOTE(Hiram @ Sep 23 2006, 11:48 PM) *

but were waiting to watch him hang himself before blurting it right out like the snot-nosed kid at a magic show who tells everybody where the dove went because he thinks he's the only clever one in the room.

Hey! I'm not snot-nosed! I have a handy travel hanky..........
Fredie

And here I just thought he was plain ol' fucking stupid......DAMN my apathy!!! frusty.gif
Absomphe
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Sep 22 2006, 10:17 PM) *

who.

Um, this was intended as a Sixer-like grammatically picayune correction, not a question, folks. biggrin.gif
Nymphadora
You like to fondle your pet thesaurus, don't you? harhar.gif
Stroller
When he started talking about labels again, I about spit out my coffee. JM, do you ever fucking learn? I bet in another month he would have had a little preban sample sale going on.........
Nymphadora
You think?
Stroller
After he had about 3 other puppets endorse him as legit.
speedle
Clueless as it may sound, who is this JMFranc guy? The posts about him go on for miles and miles in the search I did. Is this like some hobby he has, popping up with different names every so often?
Stroller
Member Sells Bullshit
Hiram
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Sep 25 2006, 05:53 AM) *
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Sep 22 2006, 10:17 PM) *
who.
Um, this was intended as a Sixer-like grammatically picayune correction, not a question, folks. biggrin.gif
Oh.

Well then, never mind. I'm just sayin', that's all.
Jack Batemaster
abs-cheers.gif
Patlow
Wow. I just read that whole thread. I think I was addicted to Ambien when all that went on. I don't remember any of it. Also, glad I didn't buy anything from him...

Real scandal, that... chickawow.gif
The Standard Deviant
Ambien? You need www.jackbatemaster.com!
speedle
OK, I've read most of that whole list of previous JMFranc antics, before my eyes glazed over I had one thought. So, this is really happening? It's not some kind of LFV inside joke that I don't get or the like? There's this real crook, dare I say criminal, trolling, lurking, and basically terrorizing this board? Can anybody say USA Patriot Act? Help me understand, oh wise elders of absinthe! blink.gif
DereksArt
QUOTE(speedle @ Sep 27 2006, 02:45 PM) *

There's this real crook, dare I say criminal

You may want to watch that tone...
Wild Bill Turkey
That greatly overestimates him.
He's becoming a sort of forum icon, a rodentine plaything for the bored housecats, occasionally darting from under the sofa and never quite making it to the pantry.
Stroller
QUOTE(DereksArt @ Sep 27 2006, 12:13 PM) *

What's the issue? Speedle needed to add liar as well?
DereksArt
QUOTE(Stroller @ Sep 27 2006, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(DereksArt @ Sep 27 2006, 12:13 PM) *

What's the issue? Speedle needed to add liar as well?

Aren't you a furry hole that stinks! Way to go!
speedle
frusty.gif

I'm just askin'.....
Fredie
QUOTE(DereksArt @ Sep 27 2006, 11:13 AM) *

Yeah, or he might get all huffy and LIE at you or something!! spam_laser.gif
Steve
I'm just adding this so Fredie's name isn't on the main forum page. No offense, Fredie. I'm just helping Head have a Fredie-free birthday month!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.