Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does your (absinthe) garden grow?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
mxreb0
Here's some pictures of my little absinthe herb garden including Artemisia absinthium (wormwood), bronze fennel, lemon balm (melissa), and rosemary and spearmint (the last two not in absinthe, but still good).

IPB Image

and a closeup
IPB Image

Yes, the wormwood makes a nice garnish in a glass of absinthe.
G&C
Bronze fennel?
mxreb0
Just another breed of fennel.gif
Kirk
I believe G&C was trying to point out that it's the wrong variety for an absinthe garden.
mxreb0
It tastes the same and has the same oils as green anise, and is even the same species (it is a different sub-species or "breed"), the tips just can turn a bronze color in the sun. It can take more sun.
Zman
No, it does not taste the same. Bronze fennel seed (what can be collected from a wild plant anyway) looks and tastes similar, but is much higher in fenchone content. That particular chemical has a nasty camphor-like tastes that you don't want in your absinthe.
Artemis
If you tasted it side by side with the proper fennel for absinthe (Florence fennel), you would change your mind about it tasting the same.

The content of the various oils in fennel can vary greatly from one cultivar to the next, even from one Florence fennel to the next. They may be the same oils overall, but the ratio of those oils varies from one plant to the next.

In any case, the way it tastes after distillation is what tells the story. Absinthe made from that bronze fennel will likely taste funky.
sixela
QUOTE(mxreb0 @ Sep 4 2006, 07:16 PM) *

It tastes the same

No. It tastes the same as the "selvatica" wild Foeniculum vulgare you can find by roadsides in most of the Mediterranean. You won't find anyone in Tuscany prepared to use it in the kitchen, even though it's just palatable for chewing when you have nothing else to chew on.

Hints: "var. dulce" means the other one isn't as sweet. Florence started cultivating "var. azoricum" ("from the Azores") because it was better than the stuff that had been growing for ages on their patch.
tristan
QUOTE(Zman @ Sep 4 2006, 10:52 AM) *

No, it does not taste the same.

QUOTE(Artemis @ Sep 4 2006, 11:09 AM) *

If you tasted it side by side with the proper fennel for absinthe (Florence fennel), you would change your mind about it tasting the same.

QUOTE(sixela @ Sep 4 2006, 03:35 PM) *

No. It tastes the same as the "selvatica" wild Phoeniculum you can find by roadsides in most of the Mediterranean.

PWNED!!!!!

sixela
QUOTE(tristan @ Sep 5 2006, 02:16 AM) *

PWNED!!!!!

Funny, that. I was just playing Warcraft¹ a few hours ago.

--
¹Source of that geeky term; its creation story is a reminder to all of us that spell-checking has its virtues wink.gif.
mxreb0
Anyone want to complain about my wormwood next?
G&C
Since you insist.

Only the part where you put it in your glass.
Kirk
We're just trying to help.
Artemis
Anyone want to complain about my wormwood next?

They probably weren't trying to be snotty, just trying to save you some wasted time, in case you were going to try and make any sort of beverage with your plants. The plants are nice enough, as was the picture, to illustrate what absinthe plants LOOK like.
brucer
Ah. And some of us just like to criticise. harhar.gif

Your melissa is pathetic and weedy.

Still, no problem. Turn your back, count to ten, turn round, and it will have taken over the pot.

abs-cheers.gif

Bruce
Absomphe
QUOTE(brucer @ Sep 6 2006, 02:34 AM) *

Your melissa is pathetic and weedy.

His lemon balm is da bomb, though! chickawow.gif
Fizzle
I am trying to grow some Florence fennel. I bought some fennel that was labeled as Foeniculum Vulgare Azoricum. Underneath that phrase, however, it said "green leaf or bronze leaf." As the plant has grown, it has developed both purple and bronze colored fronds. I am guessing that what I got was the bronze fennel and not Florence fennel. While I was at a local nursery I noticed some fennel labeled "sweet fennel" that looks like the Florence fennel pictures I see online.

I have tried researching this, but I keep coming up with contradictory information online. If any of the resident plant experts could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
absinthist
I am having the same problem, anytime I buy something labelled as FF, it cracks up to be not (so say some people), if not so bad, either. I am growing one fennel right now and really do not give the slightest damn how Florence it is, it is sufficient that it does serve its purpose.
I have also started growing anise, both are doing just great, so I am wishin' anyone the same results abs-cheers.gif
TommyGun
I had some similar questions. My wormwood is growing great right now. It was a cutting of a much older plant that was sent to me about two years ago and is just now growing pretty good - good enough that it will look like the traditional wormwood that Ted uses.

My question: of all the people growing true Florence fennel, where exactly did you get it? And if there is a link you could provide, it would be VERY helpful.

All the other herbs seem pretty easy to find. I live in the US. A link please!
Zman
QUOTE(absinthist @ May 6 2007, 02:10 PM) *

I am having the same problem, anytime I buy something labelled as FF, it cracks up to be not (so say some people),

Correct. Every picture you have posted of your fennel seed at the WS is not Florence fennel. You can take that to the bank.

QUOTE(TommyGun @ May 6 2007, 02:35 PM) *

My question: of all the people growing true Florence fennel, where exactly did you get it? And if there is a link you could provide, it would be VERY helpful.
A link please!

www.cascadeherbs.com
Jaded Prole
An excellent and dependable source!
TommyGun
QUOTE(Zman @ May 6 2007, 04:41 PM) *

www.cascadeherbs.com

Thank YOU very much!
Zman
QUOTE(Fizzle @ May 6 2007, 07:47 AM) *

I am trying to grow some Florence fennel. I bought some fennel that was labeled as Foeniculum Vulgare Azoricum. Underneath that phrase, however, it said "green leaf or bronze leaf." As the plant has grown, it has developed both purple and bronze colored fronds. I am guessing that what I got was the bronze fennel and not Florence fennel. While I was at a local nursery I noticed some fennel labeled "sweet fennel" that looks like the Florence fennel pictures I see online.

I have tried researching this, but I keep coming up with contradictory information online. If any of the resident plant experts could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

There is always much confusion as to the difference between fennel cultivars. If your fennel is growing up bronze or slightly copper coloured, it isn't Florence fennel. True Florence fennel will be green, very green, and will form a white bulb at the base. Many seed sellers and nurseries will sell Florence fennel and call it Sweet fennel, and vice-versa, but the two are of different cultivars. IMHO, Florence fennel makes the best seed for absinthe, but most commercial absinthe makers use sweet fennel seed or even common fennel seed.
Kirk
I see florence fennel on the seed racks at Lowes and WallMart, I think it's from Ferry Morse co.
You only get a few seeds of generic florence fennel but it's conveniently available. Cascade on the other hand will be a better deal and a more reliable cultivar.
Jaded Prole
If you want to grow it for seed, you better plant a few acres.
Fizzle
Thank you for the information.

No need for acres, Prol. I am simply trying to further educate my palate and increase the enjoyment of my new backyard.
Le Gimp
The bulb is pretty good sauted in butter and just a touch of garlic.

It does not grow well here. The bulbs in stores look much better.
TommyGun
This post deleted by admin for privacy reasons.
scaper8
QUOTE(TommyGun @ May 8 2007, 08:04 AM) *
If ordering any of the wormwoods, hyssop or angelica seed, shipping is discounted when combined with an anise and/or fennel seed order.
I just can't imagine why they would pick that particular combination. wink.gif
TommyGun
Interesting, huh?
rogue_designer
QUOTE(Le Gimp @ May 7 2007, 02:19 PM) *

The bulb is pretty good sauted in butter and just a touch of garlic.

It does not grow well here. The bulbs in stores look much better.

Nor here... I like it sauteed with a bit of olive oil, and a splash or two of Strega.
absinthist
Very young, if not that shy, only several days old, the family is getting bigger w00t2.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7846634@N08/492588240/

TommyGun
Great photo.

I am still looking for a few people to go in on an herb order that I mentioned earlier. I won't post the list here (it was deleted after I posted it here) but PM me and maybe we can get an order in. I don't want to spend more that $30 on the full range of absinthe related herbs. It's from a very high quality source - and true Florence Fennel.

NOTE FROM ADMIN:

Please do NOT use the the forum as a vehicle to engage in activities related to HG. We have already deleted a previous post of yours on this subject. We are removing your PM privileges immediately, and should you continue in this vein, we will close your account.

wooperman
There's this place too, if'n ya want seeds. - Will not ship to Washington State...interesting

http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/wormwood.html
G&C
Wormwood is classified as a Class C Noxious Weed in Washington State.

Class C noxious weeds are either already widespread in Washington or are of special interest to the agricultural industry.

wooperman
One man's junk is another man's drink! abs-cheers.gif
TommyGun

NOTE FROM ADMIN:

Please do NOT use the the forum as a vehicle to engage in activities related to HG. We have already deleted a previous post of yours on this subject. We are removing your PM privileges immediately, and should you continue in this vein, we will close your account.

I am truly offended by this. Why not PM me or email me this instead of posting it here? I can find you numerous discussions on growing herbs to learn the subtle flavors of absinthe. You completely took it too far and am very insulted that you can't contact me privately about this matter. I have agreed, previously, not to post the entire list of herbs and I have stuck by that.

I have emailed the admin about this and all I was told was that he deleted it but was not at liberty to tell my why. But then you post this statement? Why didn't you just tell me about this Oxy when I PM'd you? Why?
wooperman
Tommy, get back in your hole!
Click to view attachment
Oxygenee
Your PM privileges were removed because AFTER we removed your initial post, and PM'ed you to tell you that herb supplier discussion like this was not allowed, you nontheless went ahead and posted again, solicitating members to come in with you on a joint order from this same herb supplier.
TommyGun
At this point in time, I would appriciate if you just delete my account in its entirety.
peridot
You petulant child.
traineraz
There's a little X in the upper right corner. Click on it, and you will never see us again.

Cheers! abs-cheers.gif
Steyr850
QUOTE(prattwink @ May 11 2007, 10:37 AM) *

Scoot over and make some room.
scaper8
It occurs to me that my reply to TommyGun's post may have contributed to the whole HG thing. If so I would just like to make a public apology. My intent was not to get Oxy or anyone for that matter in hot water. I noticed something that I thought was kind of funny ('ha ha' funny not 'that's weird' funny) that may or may not have been related to absinthe at all, and decided to share it here.

Again if I did add to the problem, I'm sorry. I'll do my best to not let it happen again.
Wild Bill Turkey
Gentlemanly of you but no, it wasn't you.
wooperman
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ May 11 2007, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(prattwink @ May 11 2007, 10:37 AM) *

Scoot over and make some room.

Can't....your suction... wont... let.... me.... go...!
absinthist
To clear the atmosphere with something more pleasant to look at:

Tansy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7846634@N08/497712470/

Aniseed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7846634@N08/497712476/

Fennel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7846634@N08/497712478/
Le Gimp
The anise looks like my coriander/Cilantro.

absinthist
As both belong to Apiacae syn. Umbelliferae, it is no surprise. Still, I have not been thinking of growing my own coriander - the one I get is very good and I do not use that often.
wooperman
I live in Florida. I think the heat and humidity have stunted the growth of my wormwood. When I bought the plant, it was just labled Atremisia...but the person was calling it wormwood. I figured A) it's probably absinthium, B) if not I will know by the time it's bigger. That time is here and I still can't tell. The leaves are much small than I thought they would be and I am still not sure which artemisia it is. All pictures on the internet are too far away, or are perfect specimens so they don't look like mine.

Do Pontica and Absinthium look alike, only different size? If anyone has a close photo of the leaves of each handy, would you post it please?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.