Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: R.I.P. Crocodile Hunter
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Oxygenee
Crikey! One of the liddle bewdies finally got Stevo.
Fredie
The news reports say it was ray stinger to the heart? Ouch!
strange because rays are such gentle creatures most of the time....
Hell, they have a ray petting tank at the local baseball stadium here
(Tampa bay Devil Rays) and you really have to piss one off to get it to sting!

Damn..... that sucks for his wife and kids.

I hate to say it but the guy's proabably been livin' on borrowed time for years what with all the situations he puts himself in..... I mean how many times can you expect to go fuck around with a cobra..... or a redback....or a Hippo while sayin' "OOh..... looky here at this little fella" before you buy the farm.

Still, hate to see anyone go so young..... Rest in Peace you Dinky Di.
Oxygenee
Stroller's post from the Newgate moved here:

QUOTE(Stroller @ Sep 4 2006, 05:56 PM) *

Report: 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin Killed by Stingray
Monday, September 04, 2006

CAIRNS, Australia — Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb to the heart on Batt Reef, off the remote resort town of Port Douglas in northeastern Queensland state, his wildlife park Australia Zoo said in a statement.

Crew members aboard Irwin's boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead a short time later, the statement said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," John Stainton, Irwin's friend and producer, said in the statement. "He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!"

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia through projects such as "G'Day LA," an Australian tourism and trade promotion week in Los Angeles in January.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Downer's spokesman Tony Parkinson said.

Irwin's dedication to conservationist causes led him to become a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

However, Irwin had also received negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his month-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

He is survived by his American wife, Terri, from Eugene, Ore., and their daughter, Bindi Sue, 8, and son, Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the Crocodile Huntress, she costarred on her husband's television show and in the 2002 movie, "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course."

Stingrays have flat bodies and tails with serrated spines, which contain venom and can cause cuts and puncture wounds. The creatures are not aggressive and injury usually occurs when a swimmer or diver accidentally steps on one.

Stroller
Sorry about that, didn't PTFA.
Artemis

Judging from their record, I'd have to agree.
Steve
I once petted a huge stingray at "Stingray City" in Grand Cayman (a popular dive spot). I prolly won't be doing that again.
Fredie
QUOTE(Artemis @ Sep 4 2006, 11:07 AM) *

Judging from their record, I'd have to agree.

True that. frusty.gif

Actually they had a team rep on the radio this morning who said they're already thinking about abandoning the idea after this.....

"What you mean the Stingrays actually sting?"

I guess it won't take a lawsuit from the family of a kid with a barb through his hand for them to figure that out.

Donnie Darko
The wife and I fed stingrays (bull-nosed ray, same breed that killed Irwin) a couple weeks ago. Their mouths are like vacuum cleaners, suck the food right off your hands. Their skin feels like a bizarre kind of gelatin, very silky and surprisingly soft. They're the most intelligent cartilaginous sea creature out there, they almost seem playful. We were also shown a stingray barb. Basically looks like a 4 inch long white serrated knife, and coated with neurotoxins that generally aren't fatal, unless they hit a central nervous system organ.

The trick with Stingrays to avoid being stung, is whenever your feet are close to the sand or in the sand on the bottom, you need to shuffle them as you move along. Scooting like that will alert any buried stingray to your presence before you get too close to it for it to sting you. Pretty much any diver knows this, they only sting when surprised, and rarely even then. It's extremely painful to the stingrays to sting, since it basicallly rips a bone out of their tail. Usually when an animal kills a person it's the person's fault. It always seemed when watching Irwin on TV that he was a bit overconfident around most animals. He'd be careful, but not EXTRA careful. It's unfortunate and tragic he died the way he did, but not all that surprising.

A stingray really isn't something anybody should be afraid of though, if you let them know where you're at at all times they're amazingly tame.
Stroller
I've sat in shallow water & had 3 climbing all over me for food, I never gave the barb a second thought.

Just an unfortunate accident.

Artemis
Actually the baseball Rays are not to be taken for granted, even though they've thrown in the towel for this year and are playing with a team of minor league callups and "prospects". They gave the first-place Detroit Tigers hell in a recent series and have been doing the Tigers a favor by beating contenders including the White Sox and Twins in a few games of late.
Pataphysician
This is eerily like Werner Herzog's movie "Grizzly Man", which I finally saw this weekend.
Stroller
Accept that guy really was a nut.
Pataphysician
Well, they're each at different points on the same scale.

What I liked about Herzog's movie is that while anybody else would have just done a straight hatchet job on grizzly man, Herzog gives him alot of slack ... then declares him a complete nut.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Stroller @ Sep 5 2006, 03:13 PM) *

Accept that guy really was a nut.

That could apply to the guy in Grizzly Man or Werner Herzog.
Fredie
QUOTE(Artemis @ Sep 5 2006, 01:37 PM) *

Actually the baseball Rays are not to be taken for granted, even though they've thrown in the towel for this year and are playing with a team of minor league callups and "prospects". They gave the first-place Detroit Tigers hell in a recent series and have been doing the Tigers a favor by beating contenders including the White Sox and Twins in a few games of late.

Not to turn this into a baseball thread, but you're right.....
last year I saw them play against my old home town team the Angels, who were in first place at the time and they handed them their hat!
Same way the Angels ususally do against the Yankees......
The problem with the Rays is that, unlike the Marlins, they have an owner who's basically just using them as a tax write off and has no actually interest in either A.Cultivating a winning team or B. Buying one.

Back to Irwin.... I've dived with Rays before too and Donnie's right, they can be the most gentle creature in the sea. They LOVE to be petted and fed, Almost like a dog in that sense.... I do remember acidentally running my fingers over the barb on one though and my finders did turn sort of red with a rash for a couple days after.
I really should have known better and been more careful.
Thinking back on it now, anyone one of them could have done the same thing they did to Irwin at anytime,
I think I'll give them a bit of a wide berth next dive.
Donnie Darko
The name for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays that matters right now is Delmon Young. The kid has a high tuned swing which is going to get him a lot of attention next year. It might have happened this year but he threw his bat at an umpire and got suspended for a large portion of the season.

I saw Grizzly Man, and I initially thought of Irwin too. Irwin actually contributed a lot to animal conservation though, and his craziness made him likeable. Treadwell was just mentally ill, unable to comprehend that animals are not human and that he was not an animal. Grizzly Man was an incredible movie though, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Fredie
There's this guy on Animal/Discovery channels now too who does snakes....
long straight blonde hair....looks sorta like a younger Jack Hanna with a Brit accent....
Don't remember his name....
but the guy is ALWAYS taking chances you can tell are WAY beyond his abilities....
On one show I remember he was absolutely pissing off a hooded cobra and sure enough,
the thing nails him.... I actually cheered the cobra when he did that....
Of course the film crew then followed the dipshit's exploits at the local African hospital.
He'd only gotten a graze on the finger it turned out.... Obviously not enough to pump any sense into him.

Yeah Young's not bad. But you think the Rays will try to build around the guy? They didn't with Gomes.... or anyone else. Well, at least the seats are 5 bucks and the parking's free.
Artemis
I was wrong about the Rays beating the Twins - they haven't done that, but they have held their own. Kansas City has been whipping some ass, too. It's not going to matter to the Tigers if they keep on losing to garbage pitchers like they've been doing for a month now. Their once formidable lead has dwindled even though their pitching has remained the best in the major leagues, because they don't hit for shit. Delmon Young is the younger brother of Dimitri, who plays for the Tigers. And doesn't hit for shit.
Fredie
I have the game on now..... the Rays just tied it 2 all in the 7th.....
but give 'em time.... they'll blow it somehow. A Victory for the Devil rays is as unexpected as....well, sad to say, A jab to the heart by a devil ray!!!
Donnie Darko
Fuck the Rays. Anibal Sanchez (yeah, who?) just threw a no-hitter for the Marlins, whom I hate, but respect just as much as the Devil Rays. I gotta say for a fractured question mark team, they're really putting up a fight. The bastards took my Cubbies out of the playoffs then upset the Yankees in 2003, and it was an entirely different team then except for Dontrelle. This year is an amazing year for baseball, some incredibly exciting rookies (many of them named Sanchez!), and finally no steroids. Ryan Howard is on pace to break Roger Maris's record (sorry, roid-heads Sosa, McGwire and Bonds are asterisks in my record book), Greg Maddux is pitching like he's 26 with the Dodgers, Johan Santana may pull off another Cy Young, and Jose Reyes looks like Ricky Henderson.

It's still a sad day for animal conservation though. The more I read about the Croc hunter the more he seems like a great guy.
Stroller
Reggie in LA is safe anyway. I think he offered to catch Reggie.
Artemis
The Tigers cut Dimitri today, apparently to make an example. If only they could cut the high-dollar guys who've been screwing the pooch, such as Pudge Rodriguez and Maglio Ordonez. I mean, I know baseball is very hard to play, but I get sick of guys getting paid millions of dollars swinging at pitches that bounce to the plate and getting thrown out because they don't pay attention running the bases. And Leyland, who is a hall of fame manager, saying "that's baseball". The Tigers staying home in October is also baseball, Jim - better light a fire under their ass, pretty soon.
Donnie Darko
Agreed. Pudge was great offensively a few years ago but his #s have really tanked. He was on my fantasy b-ball team until last week, and he got so bad that I was forced to dump him and roster Jason Kendall, who had a great August. Second to Jason Varitek though, Pudge is a pitcher's catcher and he knows his batters better than most. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tiger's pitching (especially youngsters like Verlander and Bonderman) took a hit if they got rid of Pudge. But those kids do have talent and could probably learn from it. But September isn't the time to be learning, it's the time to be kicking ass or sitting down.

The Tiger's two biggest problems IMO have been Todd Jones's inconsistency and Curtis Granderson not being the leadoff speed machine they had hoped he would be. Jones was a monster for Florida last year, but people forget that the NL East is like whiffle ball compared to the AL. Just look at how piss poor Josh Beckett is doing for proof of that. I'm still impressed by the Tigers though, however I'm not confident in their ability to hold off the Yankee machine in the playoffs. Since the Yanks got Abreu they're looking like Chuck Norris.
Fredie
Yeah they said Sanchez's no-no for the Marlins only had a paid attendence of less than 7,000.... too bad.
As for the Tigers, It's tragic that Troy Percival's arm gave out last year. He'd have really added to their bullpen had he still been like he was back in 2002 for the Angels.

Back to Irwin....
The stuff his Dad said about him was fucking tear-jerker stuff. Talk about a great Father-Son relationship.
Artemis
Todd Jones stunk up the game earlier in the year. Since the AllStar break, he's delivered every time he takes the mound, seldom allowing a base runner, much less any runs. In fact, he is THE most consistent pitcher the Tigers have at the moment. The Tigers ERA in August was 3.6 or so, exactly the same as it had been before (the best), and this against the four best offenses in the AL that month. And Jones converted every save opportunity he was given. Pudge is an awesome catcher, there is none better, but I was talking only about his hitting, which is spotty at best. Granderson has been Mr. Strikeout all year - his speed is the only thing that has redeemed him. And they make too damn many errors. I agree, there is no way they can beat the Yankees playing this way.
Donnie Darko
That's good Jones has tightened up as of late, I hadn't followed him over the last month. Not only can he pitch, he can write too, writes a column for Sportingnews.com which I read sometimes.

The last week of September is going to be very interesting.

Here's what I predict:
San Diego surprises everyone and takes the division, LA gets the wild card.
LA beats San Diego in 4 games.

The Mets surprise no one and steamroll their way through to the Series, taking out St. Louis in 3 games and LA in 4.

Detroit wins the division, and they duke it out with the Wild Card winning Twins for a full 5 games, and the Twins barely squeak out of it, probably due to Liriano returning, while the Yankees make quick work of Oakland. Then the Yankees also make quick work of an exhausted Minnesota rotation and we've got another Subway series on our hands.

And this time, the Mets win it in game 7.

But I'm probably dead wrong, I'm always wrong about the post-season. That's why I like baseball.
Fredie
Nah that's probably close.....
But you left out Barry Bond's desperate last minute trade to the Mets in order to get as many dingers in as possible before he's indicted and baned from baseball for life....

...' itcould'appen!!!
Fredie
This thread kinda got off the point.
But I just saw this on youtube, and it kinda summed Irwin up better than anything else does.
Certainly more than some of the odd 'tributes' they have on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2hy7OAlMk...ted&search=
grey boy
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Sep 8 2006, 07:42 PM) *

That's good Jones has tightened up as of late, I hadn't followed him over the last month. Not only can he pitch, he can write too, writes a column for Sportingnews.com which I read sometimes.

The last week of September is going to be very interesting.

Here's what I predict:
San Diego surprises everyone and takes the division, LA gets the wild card.
LA beats San Diego in 4 games.

The Mets surprise no one and steamroll their way through to the Series, taking out St. Louis in 3 games and LA in 4.

Detroit wins the division, and they duke it out with the Wild Card winning Twins for a full 5 games, and the Twins barely squeak out of it, probably due to Liriano returning, while the Yankees make quick work of Oakland. Then the Yankees also make quick work of an exhausted Minnesota rotation and we've got another Subway series on our hands.

And this time, the Mets win it in game 7.

But I'm probably dead wrong, I'm always wrong about the post-season. That's why I like baseball.

Sounds good,
'cept the division winner with the best record plays the wild card team,
unless the WC team is from the same division, then the 2nd best division winner gets the WC team.
So no Tigers/Twins or LA/SD.

Which is good,
as I would love to see Tigers/Twins
in the AL championship series.
Donnie Darko
Oh, right, I never could get that straight. Makes sense though, no reason to give the Wild Card team an easy break by having them face the team with the next lowest record, since they already caught a break by getting the Wild Card in the first place. I'm a luddite when it comes to those particulars. One day I might even figure out what they mean when they say 4-6-3 double play. And don't ask me to explain what the non-waiver trade deadline means either. I know the date, but I don't know what the difference is between a non-waiver trade and a waiver trade.

And lastly, I'd prefer Tigers vs. Twins too.

Although I'm sure Detroit fans wouldn't, given Minnesota's home pitching record.

These last two weeks are going to be exciting.

And for Boston fans (you) and Cubs fans (me), there's always next year.... dammit.
Absomphe
I say the Cubs should make it an even 100, and then win a World Series.

I mean, hell, they've come this far...
Donnie Darko
I'm beginning to think that can't happen until both Jim Hendry and Dusty Baker are gone, and they're then sold by the Tribune Co to somebody who gives a shit.
grey boy
Now that the Sox have won it doesn't feel the same,
I think I should become a Cubs fan.
Absomphe
'zactly.
G&C
offtopic2.gif

Does anyone think that croc dude got barbed because he wouldn't quit putting his thumb up that poor ray's arse?
Donnie Darko
What does the Croc Hunter have to do with baseball?

G&C
Not a damned thing.

I played the off topic sign.
Steyr850
QUOTE(G&C @ Sep 13 2006, 07:20 PM) *

Does anyone think that croc dude got barbed because he wouldn't quit putting his thumb up that poor ray's arse?

Mother Nature can be a crass bitch at times.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Sep 7 2006, 07:42 PM) *

The Tigers cut Dimitri today, apparently to make an example. If only they could cut the high-dollar guys who've been screwing the pooch, such as Pudge Rodriguez and Maglio Ordonez. I mean, I know baseball is very hard to play, but I get sick of guys getting paid millions of dollars swinging at pitches that bounce to the plate and getting thrown out because they don't pay attention running the bases. And Leyland, who is a hall of fame manager, saying "that's baseball". The Tigers staying home in October is also baseball, Jim - better light a fire under their ass, pretty soon.

I just read an amazing article on Salon.com that nails the Tiger's problem. It's what has become known as the Neifi Index. Seriously. All they have to to is bench Neifi Perez and they'll be fine. They could even bring Dmitri Young back.

Schleder, a Cubs fan, made the suggestion in mid-August, before Perez was traded from Chicago to the Detroit Tigers, forcing him to leave a manager with an inexplicable love for him, Dusty Baker, but happily landing him in the arms of the other one, Jim Leyland.

But Schleder wrote back the other day to point out that just as Perez had been doing his Neifi thing with the Cubs, he's Neifi-ized the Tigers.

Since Perez joined Detroit on Aug. 21, the Tigers have gone 8-14, continuing a slide that had begun two weeks earlier and has brought the Tigers back to the rest of the A.L. Central. As of Thursday morning they led the Minnesota Twins by a game and a half.

When Perez, whom Leyland often bats first or second, has been in the lineup, the Tigers have gone 4-11, a winning percentage of .267, which is hauntingly similar to Perez's anemic on-base percentage, .258.

When he stays glued to the bench where he belongs -- even though the Tigers acquired him to fill in for the injured Placido Polanco at second base -- the Tigers are 4-3, .571. Subtracting .267 from .571 gives Perez a Neifi Index of .304, which is a Neifi Award kind of number.

Perez had the same effect on the Cubs during the first four and a half months of the season. Of course he did. He's Neifi Perez.

When they traded Perez, the Cubs were 53-70. But they were 36-51, .414, when he played, and 17-19, .472, when he sat. If they'd just left him on the bench, played with 24 guys, they'd have been 58-65 overall, a mere five and a half games out in the wild-card race, rather than 10 and a half out.

But wait, it gets better. This is hard to remember now, but the Cubs started off pretty well this year. They were 14-10 on May 2 -- 8-8 when Perez played, 6-2 when he didn't -- when they started an eight-game losing streak. They never recovered. They went 7-22 in May, 9-18 in June.

There was a lot of talk about the injured pitchers and Derrek Lee's wrist but o-ho, dear readers, you and I know what was really up. Neifi was up. He was up about 60 times in May and about 50 times in June. That's about 110 times too many.

In May, the Cubs were 2-18 when Perez played, but they were 5-4 -- they were a winning team! -- when he stayed in the dugout. That is a colossal Neifi Index of .446. To give you some context, the difference between the winning percentages of the best and worst teams in baseball, the New York Yankees and Kansas City Royals, is .227. And Neifi Perez, one guy, made almost twice that difference for the Cubs!

And don't talk to me about small sample size. You don't need large sample sizes to know about the Neifi Effect.

In June the Cubs were 5-13 with Neifi, 4-5 without him, for a Neifi Index of .166, which is nothing to write home about, but it is hauntingly similar to Perez's slugging percentage since joining the Tigers, .167.

But you know, life is complicated. Neifi Perez did not, in fact, win the Neifi Award in 2003, the only year it was awarded. And now that the Cubs have traded Perez, you'd think they'd become the roughly .500 team they were when he was in uniform but not on the field. But it hasn't worked out that way.

The Cubs are 5-18 in the post-Neifi era, a winning percentage of .217. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it is hauntingly similar to Perez's on-base percentage since joining the Tigers, .216.

The magic of Neifi is a great and mysterious thing.

Fredie
Saw the Dodgers play the Tigers in Spring training in Lakeland.
That'd be the series I'd LIKE to see.... But if I had to put money on it, I'd
probably go with the Yankees vs. the Mets.
Donnie Darko
To get back onto the very important subject of baseball, I thought for sure the Tigers would get steamrolled by the Yankees who have a monstrous batting lineup, but I've underestimated Detroit. That kid they have in the bullpen Joel Zumaya was painting the corners at 103mph and he did it for 2 solid innings! It makes sense he has flames tattooed on his forearm. If the Yankees lose game 2 (looks like they're going to), they may run into big trouble in Detroit, as I don't think Randy Johnson can pull off a win, especially with a bulging disc in his back. And there's no way Jaret Wright could hold is own against Bonderman. Plus Jim Leyland seems like a real hardass who could probably reduce any of his players to tears if he had to.

That's OK though. The Mets are my NL fave after the Cubs, so I wouldn't mind seeing a Tigers/Mets series.
Absomphe
Me neither, but wouldn't a Subway Series just hit the spot? chickawow.gif
Artemis
Zumaya can throw the ball 100 mph any time he wants to.

The probem is, late in the season, he was as likely to walk a batter and maybe hit one for every strike out.

Today with the shadows overtaking the field and him spotting that thing for strikes, the Yankees might as well have stepped to the plate holding their dicks as their bats.

I agree that if the Tigers can break out against Johnson in Detroit, the Yankees might be finished.
grey boy
I'm glad the tiggers won but I have to say,
Verlander played with fire today.
The Yanks should have lit him up for double digit runs.
The Yanks blew it in not beating the hell out of him.
bob_chong
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Microsoft.

And fuck a subway series. Yawn.

It's too bad the Pirates wouldn't sell to Mark Cuban when he inquired. Maybe the Tribune will finally sell the Cubs. I'd love to see the Cuban Effect on MLB. It need some shaking up.
Donnie Darko
The Tribune Co and Jim Hendry have always been the Cubs biggest problem. They sit on their ass knowing that fans will pay for tickets at Wrigley, regardless of their team horribly underperforming. Dusty needed to go, he does great at making strong teams better, but bad at making struggling teams viable. The only problem is Aramis Ramirez and Juan Pierre could leave next year, which means the team is then Derek Lee and a bunch of other schlubs.

I won't be yawning at a Subway series if the Mets take it from the Yankees. If the Yankees take it, while they may have earned it, then I'll yawn. It is kind of like rooting for Microsoft, but these days rooting for any team that shells out $ for a high price free agent is like rooting for Microsoft. I guess if you wanted to be all anti-baseball establishment you could root for the Rockies or Pittsburgh, but I can only stomach rooting for one perpetually losing team, and that is the Cubs.
bob_chong
Stoney would make a good GM--or president. Maybe head of an owners group?

I don't want Brenly. Girardi might be good, but it reeks of a marketing stunt, IMO. I read an interesting blog post on the Suntimes site that advocated making the '69 guys and the '84 guys more active in the team--the real workings of it, not just as a marketing thing. It was interesting.

I want some championship baseball, dammit. For my dad. For me, too, but he's had his heart broken way more than I have (yet). Ask anyone who was alive in '69 and they all get that same faraway, wistful tone.

In case you couldn't guess, I grew up in Chicagoland.
Donnie Darko
Yeah, I thought so. I started following them in the early 80s (I'm too young to know their history before that), my grandparents lived 45 minutes away in Indiana and I would spend my summers with them and I'd go to Wrigley 5-6 times per summer. I remember when Maddux started with them the first time around. I have a glove signed by Ryan Sandberg and Rick Sutcliffe in storage. They must have lost two out of every three games I saw (often to the Cardinals, grrrrr...), but I'm still a loyal fan, even though I constantly malign them.

I still can't get over the Steve Bartman thing. I don't blame the guy, people sit on the 3rd base line so they can catch foul balls. What really peeved me in the 2003 NLCS was how the Marlins manager Jack McKeon acted like he didn't get really fucking lucky, and wouldn't even sportsmanly acknowledge that up until that point the Cubs had played extremely well. In his interview the prick said something like "we were the better team" and wouldn't even acknowledge how Dusty had turned the team around in one year. I hate that crusty old bastard.

Girardi coming back to his alma mater to coach would be kind of cool, but people seem to forget that he was a lousy player. If he couldn't help the Cubs as a player how could he help them as a manager? I like the idea of bringing back the '84 guys though...
Artemis
Lots of good stories about Zumaya today, even in the dog-ass New York press.

He took the mound with an eye allergy that made the eye he points toward the batter blood-red, as if being six and a half feet tall and around 250 pounds wasn't enough. That, and the flames tatooed on his arm. And the 103-mph fastball.

He takes the mound in Detroit to the tune of "Voodoo Chile", but he didn't have that going for him in New York.

After one strikeout, a Yankee (A-Rod or Jeter, I forget which) was seen to turn and speak to the umpire. Was he complaining? No, said the Yankee after the game. He merely asked the umpire if he had SEEN any of Zumaya's pitches. Because the Yankee said, he sure didn't see any of them.

Reminds of that guy who worshipped JoBoo in that movie about the Cleveland Indians.
grey boy
The big story is when did Kenny Rodgers
reveal that he was Cy Young?
That was one brilliant performance tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.