Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regina Spektor
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Patlow
What a great song...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendID=3071484
Kommienezuspadt
Fuckin A.

I've heard it a couple of times on Triple J Radio here in Australia, and I've been trying desperately to find out who's responsible.
Regina Spektor is great and that's one helluva song!

Have you heard anything else from her new album?
Stomp Brockmore
Totally.
Love her.
alanmoss
"Us" from "Soviet Kitsch" is a stand-out track too ....
Oxygenee
QUOTE(alanmoss @ Oct 2 2006, 12:32 AM) *

"Us" from "Soviet Kitsch" is a stand-out track too ....

I have no idea what you youngsters are talking about.
Head_prosthesis
She's the new Vanessa Carlton.
alanmoss
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 1 2006, 09:01 PM) *

Given that Oxy has selflessly devoted himself to educating us in 19th (and early 20th) century absinthe, maybe we should help with his musical education. How about a playlist for Oxy?

My first choice would be the Fatboy Slim/Beatles mash-up, incorporating late 20th century and 21st century music and technology. Oxy, think of a mash-up like something that is mixed and macerated.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 1 2006, 10:01 PM) *

Now you know how I usually feel.
alanmoss

Met with Oxy yesterday for coffee and a chat (no pre-ban unfortunately). Since we were in Borders, I volunteered to help with his musical education but he resisted, claiming his love is for classical music. Oxy, the Wikipedia article on Regina Spektor talks of her music combining elements of "classical, folk, Russian music, and hip hop music. Her earliest work also shows the influence of jazz and blues."

Oxy, give it a go, you might just like this modern stuff. You probably didn't like your first glass of absinthe either, did you?

Stomp Brockmore
Speaking of Regina Spektor, but not Regina Spektor, I must recommend to everyone the phenomenal music of Joanna Newsom. She sort of falls into the same kind of vibe as Spektor, but takes it into the next dimension. Her voice can be an acquired taste for some, but man, she's incredible.

Check out her recent 56 minute, 5 song album "Ys". If you know what's good for you.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(alanmoss @ Oct 2 2006, 04:17 AM) *

Given that Oxy has selflessly devoted himself to educating us in 19th (and early 20th) century absinthe, maybe we should help with his musical education. How about a playlist for Oxy?

Sure.
1. Master of Puppets--Metallica
2. Can't get you out of my head--Kylie Minogue
3. Rubber Ducky--Burt & Ernie
4. Baby You're a Rich Man--The Beatles
5. Wrong Nigga to Fuck Wit--Ice Cube
6. White & Nerdy--Weird Al Yankovic
7. Smooth Criminal--Michael Jackson
8. Cold Hearted--Paula Abdul
9. I want your Sex--George Michael
10. Wind Beneath My Wings--Bette Midler
pierreverte
>Oxy, give it a go, you might just like this modern stuff. You probably didn't like your first glass of absinthe either, did you?

it was the 45 RPM that he had a problem with, not authentic enough...now 78, well, now you're close...
Alan
QUOTE(Stomp Brockmore @ Nov 15 2006, 01:31 PM) *

Check out her recent 56 minute, 5 song album "Ys". If you know what's good for you.

I'm with Stomp on this one. But only play it when you can sit down and listen to it, preferably with a nice glass of something. It is NOT background music.
traineraz
QUOTE(Double Boiler @ Nov 15 2006, 12:27 PM) *

8. Cold Hearted Snake -- Janet Jackson Paula Abdul

poke.gif abs-cheers.gif
Donnie Darko
Thanks, I fixed it. Wouldn't want to get that song wrong, even though I mix up Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul all the time. Must be my racism.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Stomp Brockmore @ Nov 15 2006, 04:31 PM) *

I don't like Regina Spektor. She sounds like what might have happened if PJ Harvey married a music producer, moved to the suburbs, had kids and hired Natalie Merchant as a ghost writer. She has some good songs, definitely, but over all she just isn't that distinctive as far as I can tell.

Joanna Newsom is good though. She's a freak, and that album has really limited playability as you've got to be in a really specific mood to sit down and go with it, but you can't deny she has technique and songwriting ability beyond most female vocalists today. She's unique and not boring, that's for sure. Sounds like she spends too much time at Rennaissance Fairs, but she's at least talented.

My female vocalist Holy Trinity is still Liz Fraser of the Cocteau Twins, Annie Lennox and Kate Bush. No other contemporary female vocalists come close.
traineraz
One's on American Idol. The other got groped by an American idol.
One's co-star has an explosive temper. The other's first co-star said DY-NO-MITE.

Easy to mix 'em up.
Stomp Brockmore
QUOTE(Alan @ Nov 15 2006, 06:08 PM) *

I'm with Stomp on this one. But only play it when you can sit down and listen to it, preferably with a nice glass of something. It is NOT background music.

It's less accessible than her first album for sure, which I guess means...not very. Still, I can't get enough of either one.
Jeri
She's quite talented, but sometimes her lyrics tend to be a bit odd.
Patlow
"That Time" is now my favorite.

Dat bitch got somethin', fo shizzle...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.