Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthiades 2006 - mthuilli's report
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
Marc
Friday

Noon. Here we are in Pontarlier finally! beautiful weather. I take my room at the Grand Hôtel de la Poste (town center, just in front of the Absinthiades, definitely recommended!).

Lunch at the brasserie Le Grand Café Français, recommended too ! specially because its landlady, who bought the brasserie back in january, is highly sympathetic, she will specialize her brasserie, long term, in the absinthe domain with the help of some posters, fountains (she is the only one in Pontarlier who owns a Frenchman fountain available for customers), and a selection of absinthes.

Quick visit at the only antique shop in Pontarlier and by chance, he has for sale the only Pontarlier glass that you could find during the Absinthiades (we were all thinking of finding some during the collectors show, we were wrong). I have to buy it without hesitation as other collectors are ogling it.

IPB Image

Afternoon. I meet Peter, and then Ted Breaux and Hartsmar inside the Les Fils d’Emile Pernot distillery where Peter has to label, number and seal 184 bottles of L’Artisanale, a very nice absinthe where the grand wormwood dominates (Eric’s recipe, see picture of the label here).

The distillery :

IPB Image

What is that dried herb with a silverish color?

IPB Image

Ted, Peter & Hartsmar :

IPB Image

8.30pm : conference about the absinthe legislation in France and its prospective (and utopian) AOC, AOP or IGP. The presentations go on till the audience can start talking and asking questions, that’s where Peter remarkably join in by asking what is the exact definition of absinthe? which recipe do they wish to use in case of a Pontarlier/Val De Travers AOC/AOP/IGP (Duplais, Fritsch, …)? How can we think about an AOC when we know that absinthe is made from herbs and alcohols coming from different regions, not only from the Doubs and the Val De Travers? what about the Saumur distillery? wide debate… specially when you know that one of the strongest AOC supporter is François Guy who is producing and defending a 45° absinthe (called "absinthe ordinaire" during the Belle Epoque). I will let Peter expand on that subjet as I'm sure he's got more to say.

Conference ends at 11pm leading us to the ‘open’ bar. A dozen of absinthes are waiting for us. I drink, in chronological order : Duplais, Maison Alandia and Absinthe Des Alpes 55° (why I wanted to try that one? I couldn’t even finish my glass, that crap has no wormwood in it, just sugar, anis and water).

Marc
Saturday

10am sharp. The collectors den, some beautiful tôles, posters & fountains but a disappointment regarding glasses and spoons. Except that while I'm glancing at a stall, my eyes meet a Feuille d’Absinthe #1 (virgin cartridge pattern, very scarce), the collector is just showing it to another collector, I can’t miss such an opportunity! I have to buy it even knowing that I will have to eat potatoes for the next months!
We also notice some fakes on several stalls, the last straw for such a show!

Benoit Noël & Helfrich :

IPB Image

Oxy & Benoit Noël :

IPB Image

IPB Image

Marie-Claude Delahaye (who kindly wrote a nice dedication on my spoon book) & Phil in the background :

IPB Image

Friendly aperitif in the presence of France 3 Franche Comté (regional tv channel) who are here to film a little reportage about the whole Absinthiades event (click on the link at the end of my report to see the 2mn long reportage).
Just for a picture and for fun too, I place my antique spoon on the plastic tumbler filled with absinthe.

IPB Image

Quick visit of the Pontarlier Museum :

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Little walk to see the only cellarman in Pontarlier, Mr Chapon, who sells the complete range of Frenchman’s products and a wide selection of absinthes, warm welcome !

Back to the Absinthiades to have a look at the official tasting starting with the ‘popular’ jury.

IPB Image

François Guy distillery visit, very impersonal, no comparison with the Emile Pernot distillery (much more friendly), plus you have to listen to an irritating audio tape.
Then the tasting… I unfortunately choose the Liqueur d’Absinthe, a 25° horror, just sugar and water, the water must have drowned the absinthe during distillation, well…

IPB Image
Marc
Back to the Emile Pernot distillery for an historic moment : the opening and tasting of a circa 1910-1915 Edouard Pernod 65° bottle just bought by our dear Oxy.
The precious nectar is then followed by various tastings including : the circa 1930 Cuban absinthe (E.Albado, Habana), a portuguese absinthe (?), some anisés (Rocher 1910, Emile Pernot 1940), a delicious ‘1797 recipe’ brought by Peter (who kindly fills a little flask for me so that I can bring it back home as a souvenir), and 2 freshly distilled Italian absinthes, a verte and a blanche (the verte being quite interesting and promising).

THE Edouard Pernod bottle :

IPB Image

THE bottle + some samples brought by Oxy + L’Artisanale in the background.

IPB Image

Oxy and the distillery owner, Mr Thevenin :

IPB Image

Oxy is having a hard time opening the bottle as the cork is about to crack and fall inside, terrible moment :

IPB Image

Lots of people (including journalists) want to see and taste the Edouard Pernod :

IPB Image

Saturday night, 8.30pm, everybody meet at the restaurant Coté Pont, located along the Doubs river. 17 persons, cordial ambiance, lots of wine, a little of water.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sunday

I have to leave… reluctantly… it’s raining…

IPB Image

Icing on the cake, the little reportage filmed by France 3 Franche-Comté : http://videojts.francetv.fr/regions/popup....;video_number=1

you have to move forward till 16mn46s to see the Absinthiades reportage.

Note :
17mn10s - Ted Breaux
17mn30s - The collector who sold the Feuille d’Absinthe #1 to me
18mn20s - Oxy, Ted & Hartsmar in the background
18mn50s - Left : belgian friends. Right : my wife and myself. I have to add that the absinthes here have been offered by France 3 in return for the reportage.
Patlow
I love seeing these pics, thanks for posting. Somehow these get togethers always look like photos from my highschool German textbooks... Heh!

abs-cheers.gif
hartsmar
Home again, sadly.

I will add photos as well as soon as I can.

abs-cheers.gif
crosby
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Oct 2 2006, 03:57 AM) *

Oxy is having a hard time opening the bottle as the cork is about to crack and fall inside, terrible moment :

I've said this before,SCREWPULL.
justabob
The Edouard Pernod looks to be in pristine condition.
Marc
QUOTE(crosby @ Oct 2 2006, 07:51 PM) *

I've said this before,SCREWPULL.

No Crosby, that's the type of cork-screw you have to use wink.gif :
IPB Image

But in that particular case, we didn't want to keep the cork so...

The best one being that one (a little expensive though) : http://cgi.ebay.fr/TIRE-BOUCHON-CORKSCREW-...emZ300032106561

I must add that Oxy did a great job, the cork split into two parts 2 seconds after the successful uncorking.
hartsmar
QUOTE(justabob @ Oct 2 2006, 11:12 AM) *

The Edouard Pernod looks to be in pristine condition.

It was very good.
The Standard Deviant
All gone?
Marc
Naaaa expect some samples from Oxy very soon wink.gif
Donnie Darko
Great pics! Some of them won't load for some reason, not sure why.

I want to know more about Absinthe Artisinale and its release date...
Bruno Rygseck
Thanks mthuilli! Great report and photos!

chickawow.gif

I had no problem viewing the photos.

But the video clip link, is it this instead

http://videojts.francetv.fr/regions/popup....;video_number=2

I really need to learn French, by the way.

*BR*
Marc
Really ? you should see 22 pics, has anybody else got the same problem ?

L'artisanale
184 wax sealed and numbered 50cl bottles (some were not sealed and already for sale in Chapon's shop at Pontarlier).
72°.
Distilled by the 'Les Fils d'Emile Pernot' distillery according to Eric's recipe using only a great selection of herbs.
Availability : very very soon & exclusively at LdF except for a few bottles which are going to Luc's shop.
Price : it was sold 38€ in Pontarlier.
Marc
For those who are interested in seeing how I wasting my money : Collectors forum
Absomphe
"What is that dried herb with the silverish color"?

Lambrook Silver wormwood? shock.gif w00t2.gif
Marc
Alandia's report : Alandia
Fredie

Haha.... Harts, I never noticed...your avatar looks so uncannily like you!

Looks like it was fun for all. Hope to make it one year. abs-cheers.gif
hartsmar
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Oct 2 2006, 02:13 PM) *

Really ? you should see 22 pics, has anybody else got the same problem ?

L'artisanale
184 wax sealed and numbered 50cl bottles (some were not sealed and already for sale in Chapon's shop at Pontarlier).
72°.
Distilled by the 'Les Fils d'Emile Pernot' distillery according to Eric's recipe using only a great selection of herbs.
Availability : very very soon & exclusively at LdF except for a few bottles which are going to Luc's shop.
Price : it was sold 38€ in Pontarlier.

I would like to say that I personally own the most limited ed. and saught after bottle of all those. I'm not talking about number 1/184 or anything like that. I'll post a photo in due time.

hartsmar
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Oct 2 2006, 10:31 PM) *

Alandia's report : Alandia

Might want to add that the bottle of Junod on display there was filled with some liquid but NOT authentic vintage absinthe. We could just call it... ummm.. fake.
Marc
Lots of fakes... spoons, fountains, glasses, bottle... a real shame...
Touch-money
That's sad that there were so many fakes at such an occasion as this no.gif
Marc
That being said, fakes were only representing 1-2% of all the stuff that was displayed.
EdouardPerneau
Sorry to awake a long dead topic but was Emile Pernot 1940 good ?
Marc
Nope, like any 60 years old 40/45° anisé, it was faded.
Though I've tasted a lot of anisés from that era and the Emile Pernot was not the worst, it was still drinkable at least.
EdouardPerneau
does it louche ?
Marc
Yup.
absinthist
Define the "louche" in that very case harhar.gif
Absomphe
"Of questionable morality".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.