Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photo(c)hopping
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Mr. Creepy's Art Hole
tayker
I was originally inspired to take a picture of my wife because of the colors of the lighting. However, the camera I was using was washing it out and adding more light than I was seeing. After playing with it in Photoshop, I wanted to try something a little different and came up with this:
Wifey pic
The pic is over the 30K limit (~490K), which is why I made it a link.
Le Gimp
QUOTE(tayker @ Oct 19 2006, 01:23 PM) *

I was originally inspired to take a picture of my wife because of the colors of the lighting. However, the camera I was using was washing it out and adding more light than I was seeing. After playing with it in Photoshop, I wanted to try something a little different and came up with this:
Wifey pic
The pic is over the 30K limit (~490K), which is why I made it a link.

THat reminds me a bit of a Solarization in the old B&W film day.

I used to dabble in photography and learned the solarization technique. It consisted of exposing the developing print to a very brief light exposure. Why it worked I do not know. I'll see if I can find something to post.

I found one that is not so great, but you get the idea.

IPB Image
tayker
That looks pretty cool. After all the photography classes I've had, I still suck at using elements/camera settings, at the time of the photograph, to my advantage. So I just keep it digital and use PS. For my pic, the camera I used over exposed the pic a lot. So I added separate layers completely filled in with black and orange and played with layer settings (opacity, overlay, multiply, etc) to get what I saw. Then I duplicated the original pic and used the Extract feature to pull my wife out and tweaked the Posterize settings. I wanted some detail but I didn't want a near photograph or a too cartoony-like look. Most people usually use a drop shadow for added affect but that always reminds me of cell shaded video games, so I added a thick stroke to the extracted layer...and voila'.
Pataphysician
Man Ray, The King of Solarization:

http://home.sprynet.com/~mindweb/page23.htm
tayker
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Oct 20 2006, 11:09 AM) *

Man Ray, The King of Solarization:

http://home.sprynet.com/~mindweb/page23.htm

Thanks for the link and that's a nice pic that greets ya too.
ubu
When I'm in the mood to watch films while drinking absinthe, one of my favorites is Avante Garde: Experimental Cinema of the 1920's and 30's. The first four short films on disc one are by Man Ray and they're really good.
tayker
I'll see if I can find that on Amazon, I like films from that era and this definitely sounds interesting.
Pataphysician
I have that same one, I highly recommend it. Also the long serials "Les Vampires" and "Judex" circa WWI which have great location shots around Paris, as well as ripping good stories, too. And anything by Rene Clair. "A Nous la Liberte" and "Under the Roofs of Paris" have great Dada films as extras.
tayker
I found it on Deep Discount DVD.

Got the link from Rotten Tomatoes but I never heard of that site before and it's for $17.93. I'm going to order it this Wednesday.
ubu
I've had Judex on my wish list at Amazon for over a year, but the mood never hit me to order it. I think I'm going to buy it tonight. Also, everything I've seen by Bunuel has been top notch.
traineraz
They also have it (Avante Garde) on Netflix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.