Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone see Marie Antionette yet?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
ubu
Anyone? I've been looking forward to it for a while. I heard the French hated it at Cannes. I'm probably going to see it tomorrow, and I'm curious if anyone here has any comments.

The soundtrack sounds really good. You can't go wrong with The Cure's more atmospheric pieces, and I'll listen to anything by Kevin Shields even if it is just remixes of songs by Bow Wow Wow.

A downside to drinking before posting: I had to go look at one of my cd's to see how to spell Shields. "I before E, I before E..."

...and I just realized I misspelled Antoinette in the topic. Sorry!
bob_chong
Ebert loved it , if that means anything. Our local guy called it a mess and panned it.

I used to dig Ebert (I grew up in Chicagoland and watched Ebert & Siskel on PBS when they began). His Great Movies series on his website is fantastic.
ubu
I enjoy his Great Movies articles. I have volumes 1 and 2 that were published.
I'll always disagree with his Blue Velvet pan, but even that is one of the highlights of the Blue Velvet dvd.
Donnie Darko
Didn't know Marie Antoinette has The Cure in the soundtrack. Which tracks does Coppolla use?

I want to see it, it sounds like critics were pissed that it didn't show how much people hated her, instead showed her enchanted cosmos and charmed shallow life. I like the implications of that approach better.

I liked Lost in Translation too. But I fucking hated Virgin Suicides.

Just saw Little Miss Sunshine last week. That is without a doubt the funniest movie I've seen in many years. And not only is it funny, it's also compelling and the wit is very acerbic in parts.

Going to see Little Children tomorrow, looking forward to that. Right now there's about a million movies I want to see.

The two I'm really holding my breath for though are Frank Miller's 300 (watch the preview, your heart will stop) and The Golden Compass, both due out next year.
ubu
The two tracks she uses are Plainsong and All Cats Are Grey. It's about time a film maker looked beyond their pop side for soundtrack material. The soundtrack is advertised as a two disc set, one for the party and one for the morning after.
Donnie Darko
Wow, excellent choices. Those tracks always sounded like they were written for a film from the beginning. Just looked at the soundtrack in iTunes and there's several other gems on there too. She always makes great soundtrack choices.
Stomp Brockmore
She definitely has great taste in music, and uses it well, but I think her films are very over rated. I didn't think Lost in Translation was good - I found it condescending and shallow where it pretended to be deep and revelatory. It pretended to say everything by, in actuality, saying nothing. So...I'm not overly anxious to see Marie Antoinette, all hipster bubble gum and chewy candy, despite getting to watch Kirsten Dunst run around in her underwear. I'll wait for the DVD.
ubu
I just returned home after watching the film. Through the first half I was trying to see what Sofia was getting at; through the second half I tried to just enjoy it. I liked The Virgin Suicides, loved Lost in Translation, but I didn't like or dislike Marie Antoinette.
The one thing I thought about on the way home was the fact that they were too young to rule, and the public was ready to behead them: I wonder if that is in a sense Ms. Coppola's fear. It definitely echoes what happened to her after acting in Godfather 3.
Anyway, I'm on the fence as far as recommending it.
Patlow
I saw this movie yesterday... VERY VERY pretty. I love the thought of how even though she would rule these people at the age of 14, she was still strip-searched, violated, to prove that she was worthy of the idiot boy king. Think she held any resentment for that??? "Let them eat..." Well, we know what they ate and she too...

Love the music. First MUST HAVE soundtrack since Pulp Fiction, I think.

Two lungs up! (I was DYING to have a ciggie throughout the film).

chickawow.gif
ubu
I thought Lost in Translation was a must have, if only because it contained the first Kevin Shields songs to be released in a long time. As far as that film pretending to say everything by saying nothing, I disagree. I can certainly understand why one feels that way, but the growing emotions between Murray and Johanson's characters not being shown in Hollywood shorthand but in a real life kind of way impressed me.
For some reason parts of Marie Antoinette stuck with me, and I found myself thinking about the film a lot the day after I saw it. It seemed more impressive in retrospect, so I saw it again. It's definitely a grower.
bob_chong
The Big Lebowski soundtrack, as presented in the movie, is great. Too bad the CD lacks so many tracks, thus rendering it lame.
Donnie Darko
Damned right. That cover of Hotel California is exponentially better than the original, at least that was on the CD, but no Tumblin' Tumbleweeds. I want to see the movie in my head when I listen to the soundtrack, but that CD is just some of the songs that were in the movie.

The dude abides none the less.
bob_chong
I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there--'the Dude'--takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Donnie Darko
My favourite lines from that movie change daily (got a wall sized French poster of the movie above my desk as I type this), but I think today's favourite is Karl Hungus's line from Log Jammin':

Hello. Nein dizbatcher says zere iss problem mit deine kable. Za, okay, I bring mein toolz.
traineraz
Bow-chicka-bow-wow . . .
The Lobe
The Big Lebowski...Now there is a movie full of quotes. One of my favorite quotable movies still has to be Tombstone.
Donnie Darko
Director Paul Schrader wrote an aritcle for Film Comment magazine recently where he decided to list the top 60 movies of all time, but he could only pick one from each director. He put The Big Lebowski at #39, one place ahead of The Red Shoes and three places ahead of Chinatown. I like Paul Schrader.

As a side note, I recently saw Stranger Than Fiction, Marc Forster's new movie. It's great. Charming, smart, clever, just a really well made movie, with excellent acting all around. The story and style are a bit Charlie Kaufmann-esque, but I'm fine with that. Better to imitate someone good than to just do another romantic comedy. I suppose this one technically is a romantic comedy, but it also examines a much larger issue of the dangers of knowing one's own fate, and it explores this in an incredibly slick way.

Kirk
There is a scene or two in that movie "The Big Lobowsky" where he gets knocked out or drugged,
and he sees this dancing reality, there is beautiful geometry, and music too,
and he is floating, on a trip, he is seeing his own perfect reality.
I've seen this thing before,
this dancing reality, it's very fluid, quite festive,
and when you pick it up from the middle it looks like a saddle bag.
Kirk
Or more like a worm hole, I saw it in the ambulance after I broke my leg,
There was an I.V. hanging, giving me drugs, and a red pet cock, a ball valve regulating the medicine,
I closed my eye, one eye, two red balls, two eyes, four red balls, each time I opened my eyes, I added two balls more,
after awhile they became a fabric,
you cannot imagine how beautiful it looked, red dots and a graphic grid, a connected fabric of dots,
much like we are.
And then we die.
Kirk
Every red dot, every cell will send you closer to hell, it's not just me, none of us can see, if I'm the mad man, we're all doomed. Don't worry though, you'll live till your dead, that's all part of the plan, perform or not, they'll get what you got, and in the morning you'll be kicked in the head.
Kirk
I'm discontinuing everything,
I don't care what you say, I never intended it to be available.
It's pretty much in for me, unless I can think of one thing new,
then I'll sell it to you,
no, fuck it, you can have it,
no wait,
If I give it to you, it won't mean anything,
shit, it's priceless, just like you,
so I do you a favor by not letting you have one,
after all, if it's available, it's worthless,
wait, what do you want?
Kirk
A million people on the webs and I'm talking to myself,
no surprise, I've alienated everyone else.
We are all the aliens, and some day we'll be dead,
maybe you believe in pyramids on mars,
maybe you love Jesus,
but if there is one bit of advice you'll allow me to offer:
Stay home, grow a garden, share it with people who live.
Donnie Darko
That makes me want to break my leg.
Kirk
Speaking of pet cocks, here's one I've been working on.
Kirk
What you're seeing is a valve body, stem, keyed washer and lock nut. The one thing missing is a spring that keeps the stem locked into place, I hate to say it, but it is also missing on modern absinthe fountains.
A valve of this type should have a tension spring that draws the valve spring continually into the valve body, thus preventing leaks.
I cast this in sterling silver, after turning the models in wax on a small watch makers lathe, I made a mold that will allow me to reproduce this form, the one problem is that each valve has to be seated to mate perfectly with the body,
so far I have done that by grinding the stem to the body using valve grinding paste (the type used on heads) . Now that I have a working valve, I can adapt the main parts, as a wax model, to be any form, I was thinking of an elephant, you lift the tusks to start the drip,
follow me?
Kirk
Please note, in the picture, the sprues are still attached to the washer and lock nut.
Kirk
The original has a threaded stem, it can be attached to a standard jar, or, if you wanted to get fancy,
( I always get carried away), you could attach it to an open ended porch light globe, of course, you still need a body.
Kirk
And a lid.
And a base.
That's how life is.
crosby
Not many people have used Head's valve grinding paste. cdog-plain.gif
AndrewT
I can't wait to see some designer spigots. The only problem is that I'm not sure there's any glass nice enough to warrant one of your designs. Keep up the good work!
Kirk
Thanks you'se guys,
that'll suffice as the best encouragement I get.
traineraz
Maybe you and Glassy could collaborate on the ultimate absinthe fountain . . . put Needless Markups to shame with something both stunning AND functional!
Kirk
We'll sell one, give two away and the third will get broken in transit.
The Standard Deviant
The Kirk treatment for fountain taps sounds like a very good idea.
G&C
He is the Master.
Kirk
I need some small valve compression springs.
0.24" I.D
0.43" O.D.
0.2" long
and quite stout.
jacal01
Holy shit! Stout is right. Your spring coil is almost 1/8” thick (~3/32”). Why so much tension? Or is it dictated by the geometry? If so, you might want to rethink it. You’ve gotten yourself into a design box.

Try an automotive store.
Kirk
The spring wire diameter isn't all that big, maybe 18 gauge.
ubu
I can't wait to see how this turns out. 1797, L'Artisinale, a Kirk fountain design... This is a great time for absinthe.
traineraz
I wonder if cast-silver versions of the wax seals would make good spigot knobs . . .
jacal01
QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 14 2006, 10:54 AM) *

The spring wire diameter isn't all that big, maybe 18 gauge.

I'm having trouble visualizing it. The math doesn’t work. 18 gauge is only ~0.048” diameter. Which is it then, nom. ¼” ID or 7/16” OD? Is the spring coil beveled? .
ubu
I just watched Marie Antionnette on dvd, and in the scene with all of the pairs of shoes (when "I Want Candy" is playing) you can see a pair of hot pink Chuck Taylors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.