Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don Walsh
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Hall of Fame
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Oxygenee
Post your favourite Don Walsh memories here NOW, or you'll get a bottle of Blue Label up the...
Oxygenee
This is one of the great Don Walsh threads, and the one that gave rise to the immortal:

watch me shove a liter bottle of Blue Label up your ass and give you an enema you'll never recover from, you pasty faced Brit closet case cocksucker.

Read it in chronological order, from the bottom upwards.
Oxygenee
What's distressing, is I can't find the original post that gave rise to that other great classic Walshism:

you couldn't get laid in a Thai whorehouse with a hundred dollar bill wrapped around your woody.
Nymphadora
Damn it! All this time I thought he was a member of The Eagles.
traineraz
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 29 2006, 07:03 AM) *

What's distressing, is I can't find the original post that gave rise to that other great classic Walshism:

you couldn't get laid in a Thai whorehouse with a hundred dollar bill wrapped around your woody.

Given his current career, I imagine he'd know.

Damn, what happened to the Wabbit?
Lord Stanley
That thought had crossed my mind as well.
bob_chong
Here is the dust-up between Absintheur and Don. Ted is involved, too. But as far as I knew, this is when Absintheur quit for good (unless someone remembers him coming back after that).

http://www.feeverte.net/archive/messages/16/563.html

Or does this belong in the Hall of Flame thread?
Oxygenee
For what it's worth, without making any judgement on Don's...er..robust debating style, he and Ted were - on the facts - absolutely in the right as far as this particular argument went.

Did Absintheur ever reregister under another name? And is he still among us?
Donnie Darko
That seems pretty mild as far as flame standards set by Don go.

Reading that thread back when I was a lurker, I comprehended next to none of it and basically skimmed it, wondering what Don and Ted were so uptight about.

Now I'm reading it and realize Absintheur was full of shit, and Don and Ted weren't.
bob_chong
Yeah, it's not really flaming at all, but it is definitely a lot of very long posts from Don & Ted. No one else even jumped in. Too busy gawking, I guess. Those types of discussions are long gone.
traineraz
By Absintheur on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 10:29 am: Edit

Given the circmstances of this post, I'm closing my account under this name. Goodbye all.

Still around? O, I don't know. His style seems vaguely familiar.

Did anyone else appear within a couple of months with a similar approach to debate? That is, vehemently argue the same point endlessly, no matter what contradictions arise?

Most of the Don Walsh postings I've read did not demonstrate this level of eloquence or intellect. Most of what I recall seeing was vulgar and, as Absintheur mentioned, bullying. This puts Don in a whole different context for me.

This thread did not seem bullying by comparison, but filled with indignation at assertions being made. Actually, I'm surprised Don DIDN'T slide into name-calling and suggestions of what Absintheur might do with a bottle of Cousin Jeune, should he find it.

I don't recall ever seeing reference to Absinthes Hygienique before. Seems like an appropriate choice for a rinse, no?

Incidentally . . . it seems, in spite of O-thers' assertions here and there, that Ted has indeed been pretty consistent from year to year. I don't see anything here that he'd not repeat today.
Le Gimp
If he had made the discovery that Antimony trichloride was used by such and such a manufacturer and had documentation to corriborate the assertion, would it have given vlaidity to it being an acceptable component of absinthe?

No, no more than his assertion that wormwood is not a necessary component has validity.

And, yes, Don was quite mild in that thread.

I arrived before Don left, and at first did not understand a lot of what went on. Fortunatly I had the good sense to keep my mouth shut and just lurk for a long time.
bob_chong
Don was a wealth of information on distilling. He actively discouraged people from HG, which was wise. That's not to say that HGers are foolish, but he stressed safety concerns and made certain that this is a dangerous activity that shouldn't be taken up lightly.

Don also was a genius at discerning things about international affairs, since he was plugged into a whole different miltary intelligence community than we are privy to. Certainly, he was right-wing, which was to the chagrin of 99% of the membership here (which was, is, and will always be primarily liberal). But he knew stuff about Asia and the ME that shed a different light. I would love to hear his take on current affairs now.
Donnie Darko
I certainly would too. I don't care whether someone is left or right wing, I just want them to be intelligent, and Don certainly was that (except for lacking any sense of diplomacy...).
Artemis
A lot of what you see in this forum is the tip of the iceberg. A lot goes on under the surface. With a lot of these wars where public post followed public post, the private emails that flew back and forth and multiplied among the public participants, and sometimes among people who weren't taking part publicly, tell the REST of the story and/or put everything into context. I was corresponding with both Don and Absintheur during that particular argument (and maybe with Ted, I don't remember, but I knew what Ted had to say through Don). The whole thing was easier to understand if one were privy in that way.

Ted has indeed been remarkably consistent from day one - I've been saying that for years.

Don and Ted were for the most part on the correct side in that argument, as Oxy pointed out.

Don could be a bully, vulgar, funny, profound, all of that. His private communications were nothing short of amazing, and more like that thread than his insulting or vulgar or bully threads.

Absintheur resigned because Don used his (Absintheur's) true name in a public post without warning. Whether he ever came back under another name, I can't say. My assumption has always been, not.
justabob
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 1 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Ted has indeed been remarkably consistent from day one - I've been saying that for years.

Regardless of what one thinks of the man or his absinthe, the above statement is most certainly true.
bob_chong
"I'm a journalist (quite a ranking one in fact) and I'm somewhere to the right of Atilla the Hun, with a degree from the Genghis Khan School of Foreign Service thrown in. My pal Fred Reed is a syndicated columnist, and he makes me look like a namby pamby pinko." --Don, 3/1/02

bob_chong
And you, sirrahy, are a wet behind the ears college kid who wouldn't know evil if it bit you on the knobby.

Spend some time in the real world, son, and you will get to see some evil. Sit in my vantage in Thailand and dare to fucking lecture ME about Vietnam, arrogant puppy.

You want to condone the killing of a journalist to produce a propaganda tape, and it's you I'd call evil. Why don't you call Pearl's wife and tell her that her husband's butchers are morally equivalent to the United States in the Indochina war?

In short -- fuck you. Ignorant snot!

--Don, regarding Daniel Pearl, 2002

(BTW, I'm not even looking for these. That's just how Don rolls.)
Provenance
Will they be serving PF 1901 at Chateau Jade?
Donnie Darko
I suspect what is served there is much, much, much younger.
Provenance
Indeed.
bob_chong
Younger than 105, sure. But Don isn't into whatever you may be insinuating. Check out his website.
Provenance
Or make an appointment to stop on by to receive a little "education".
Barsnake
*sniff*

what a trip down memory lane...
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(bob_chong @ Nov 30 2006, 03:34 PM) *

Younger than 105, sure. But Don isn't into whatever you may be insinuating. Check out his website.

I didn't honestly think he was into 14 year old meth addicts, which is commonplace in Thailand, though when someone mentions sex shops in Thailand, it's often assumed they're underage, as many of them are. I was just joking around, though Colonel Kurtz probably wouldn't find it funny.

This from the website is obviously up the alley of an ex CIA guy:
"Interrogations? We know how to make you talk...
No matter what your fetish, regardless of your kink, we probably have been there, and we more than likely have done that. "

If their waterboarding involves absinthe, sign me up!
bob_chong
Don as Radomil Hill:
IPB Image
bob_chong
Here's a classic thread, started by Absintheur (BTW, does he lurk here?), where he shits upon vintage absinthe. It just gets better from there.

Remember: read from the bottom first! The old forum put newest posts at the top.

Don, Jesse, Ted, and even the Hippie MC mix it up
eric
Thanks for finding that one Bob.

I think it provides interesting background reading for my artificial "colour" thread.

bob_chong
Oxy--I found the thread with your favorite Don quote.

You couldn't get laid in a Shanghai brothel with a $1000 bill wrapped around your knobbie.

Don Hating Martin, Dec. 2000

The whole paragraph:

I was never much into killing women and kids, cocksucker. But I would make an exception in the case of yours, if I thought you had the cojones to have any. As that is clearly impossible -- even heroin addicted HIV positive slum dwellers have some minimal standards -- I'll have to forego the pleasure of bleeding them in front of you. Because they don't exist. Dickless, ball-less twerp that you are. You couldn't get laid in a Shanghai brothel with a $1000 bill wrapped around your knobbie.

jonathan_carfax
I had the pleasure of dropping in on Don in BKK around Christmas last year on my way back from Hanoi.

We had a pleasurable evening watching B-grade science fiction over….Scotch…(the ol' pre-Jade still is packed up).

Unfortunately no slinky Thai doms in cat suits strutting around the house this time blink.gif
sixela
QUOTE(eric @ Aug 22 2007, 02:53 AM) *

Thanks for finding that one Bob.

I think it provides interesting background reading for my artificial "colour" thread.

I see you've joined the imperial forces and have had your spelling brainwashing.

The Standard Deviant
Couleur est-il?
traineraz
QUOTE(jonathan_carfax @ Nov 10 2007, 11:22 PM) *
Unfortunately no slinky Thai doms in cat suits strutting around the house this time blink.gif

I didn't know Don was running a brothel for furries. blink.gif
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE(justabob @ Nov 1 2006, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 1 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Regardless of what one thinks of the man or his absinthe, the above statement is most certainly true.

Oh, please. Only those who have not been paying ANY attention for the last seven years or more, can say that.

Let me quote what I posted on the subject years ago.

A little historical data and then I yield the podium to the Forum experts.

Chemists may have had problems measuring thujone', but nobody can seriously say that they couldn't measure the volume of essential oil extracted from an herb. Pernod tells us that their finished absinthe had 150 ppm of essential oil of wormwood. How much thoojone is that?

As per TABREAUX, June 2000:

"FWIW according to Sacco and Cialva (1988), oil of Artemisia absinthium typically is comprised (w/w) of 59.9% alpha and 2.3% beta, which equals 62.2% total. "

So it's 150ppm x .62 = 93 ppm (or mg/Kg)

93 mg/Kg coincides nicely with what Don Walsh (Ted's distiller) said in 2000:

"The EU allows absinthe of commerce to contain up to 10 mg/Kg -- equivalent to parts per million -- which is mild compared to the estimated 60-90 mg/Kg of premium Belle Epoch absinthes. "

This coincides also with what Ted had found about levels of thoojone in vintage absinthes, over many years of research and several analyses:

On June 5, 2000, TABREAUX said:

"Using every bit of information I've processed over the past seven years, my calculations indicate that quality original Pontarlier labels contained anywhere from 50-100mg/kg total thoojone. "

http://www.feeverte.net/archive/messages/16/138.html

Since they were making a faithful reproduction of Pernod, what levels of thoojone could we expect in Jade? Lets see what Don revealed on June 5, 2000:

"Yes, pre-ban Pernod was probably close to 100 mg/Kg. As we are preparing to market a (non-EU compliant) authentic recreation of Pernod, and as we have the original pre-ban products to comapre it to, our product will be in the 90 mg/Kg class."

Of course they put 90mg/Kg, since TABREAUX declared in June 18, 2000

"Granted, a product with little thoojone is generally representative of a poorly crafted, non-authentic product,"

http://www.feeverte.net/archive/messages/16/42.html

But now, Feb. 8, 2004, Ted thinks different:

"If the concentrate is a properly distilled product, it will contain only a very tiny concentration of , and certainly nowhere near 100 mg/kg!! "

Excuse me? Jade's Authentic Pernod Absinthe, in 2000, had 90mg/kg of thoojone' but Jade's Authentic Pernod Absinthe, in 2004, has next to none. Will the authentic Authentic Pernod Absinthe please stand up? They cannot BOTH be authentic, you know.

Could it be that Ted is so horrendously incompetent as a researcher and a chemist that he spent 7 years researching and analysing vintage absinthes and only could come up with results that are wrong by a factor of TWENTY!

No way. Ted is a very competent chemist. And the numbers he posted on June 5, 2000 (50-100 mg/Kg) are the REAL numbers for thoojone' in vintage absinthe.

Don mentioned 90mg/Kg in Jade, not because he wanted to lure the "get-me-high" crowd, but because 90mg/Kg is what you get WHEN YOU MAKE AUTHENTIC ABSINTHE. Not a good or bad number, just what it is.

Were they bullshiting us in 2000 or are they bullshitting us now?

So what has actually changed in the last four years: the chemical composicion of vintage absinthe…or Jade's marketing plans?

< 10 mg/Kg = European Market Open > 10 mg/Kg = European Market Closed

You have to reach your own conclusions. Phil's indignation, though poorly expressed, is valid. This is an historical travesty. They are trying to sell us Premium Absente as Authentic Absinthe.

The history and the very essence of absinthe are being changed under our very noses.

Anyway, let's finish this post with a funny note. According to Ted on June 5, 2000, those who buy the new "thoojone-free" Jade looking for secondaries are shit-out-of-luck, because Ted thinks that:

"I do agree that I feel that thoojone is not the only player in the secondary effects, although I'm convinced it plays an important role. "

A little historical data and then I yield the podium to the Forum experts.

Chemists may have had problems measuring thujone', but nobody can seriously say that they couldn't measure the volume of essential oil extracted from an herb. Pernod tells us that their finished absinthe had 150ppm of essential oil of wormwood. How much thujone' is that?

As per TABREAUX, June 2000:

"FWIW according to Sacco and Cialva (1988), oil of Artemisia absinthium typically is comprised (w/w) of 59.9% alpha and 2.3% beta, which equals 62.2% total. "

So it's 150ppm x .62 = 93 ppm (or mg/Kg)

93 mg/Kg coincides nicely with what Don Walsh (Ted's distiller) said in 2000:

"The EU allows absinthe of commerce to contain up to 10 mg/Kg -- equivalent to parts per million -- which is mild compared to the estimated 60-90 mg/Kg of premium Belle Epoch absinthes. "

This coincides also with what Ted had found about levels of thujone in vintage absinthes, over many years of research and several analyses:

On June 5, 2000, TABREAUX said:

"Using every bit of information I've processed over the past seven years, my calculations indicate that quality original Pontarlier labels contained anywhere from 50-100mg/kg total thujone. "

Since they were making a faithful reproduction of Pernod, what levels of thujone could we expect in Jade? Lets see what Don revealed on June 5, 2000

"Yes, pre-ban Pernod was probably close to 100 mg/Kg. As we are preparing to market a (non-EU compliant) authentic recreation of Pernod, and as we have the original pre-ban products to comapre it to, our product will be in the 90 mg/Kg class."

Of course they put 90mg/Kg, since TABREAUX declared in June 18, 2000

"Granted, a product with little thujone is generally representative of a poorly crafted, non-authentic product,"

http://www.feeverte.net/archive/messages/16/42.html

But now, Feb. 8, 2004, Ted thinks different:

"If the concentrate is a properly distilled product, it will contain only a very tiny concentration of , and certainly nowhere near 100 mg/kg!! "

Excuse me? Jade's Authentic Absinthe, in 2000, had 90mg/kg of thujone'. Jade's Authentic Absinthe, in 2004, has next to none. Will the authentic Authentic Absinthe please stand up? They cannot BOTH be authentic, you know.

Could it be that Ted is so horrendously incompetent as a researcher and a chemist that he spent 7 years researching and analysing vintage absinthes and only could come up with results that are wrong by a factor of TWENTY!

No way. Ted is a very competent chemist. And the numbers he posted on June 5, 2000 (50-100 mg/Kg) are the REAL numbers for thujone' in vintage absinthe.

Don mentioned 90mg/Kg in Jade, not because he wanted to lure the "get-me-high" crowd, but because 90mg/Kg is what you get WHEN YOU MAKE AUTHENTIC ABSINTHE. Not a good or bad number, just what it is.

Were they bullshiting us in 2000 or are they bullshitting us now?

So what has actually changed in the last four years: The chemical composicion of vintage absinthe…or Jade's marketing plans?

< 10 mg/Kg = European Market Open > 10 mg/Kg = European Market Closed

You have to reach your own conclusions. Phil's indignation, though poorly expressed, is valid. This is an historical travesty. They are trying to sell us Premium Absente as Authentic Absinthe.

The history and the very essence of absinthe are being changed under our very noses.

Anyway, let's finish this post with a funny note. According to Ted on June 5, 2000, those who buy "thujone-free" Jade looking for secondaries are shit-out-of-luck, because:

"I do agree that I feel that thujone is not the only player in the secondary effects, although I'm convinced it plays an important role. "
traineraz
Once again, properly distill a wormwood maceration and demonstrate the high-thujone result.

Thanks.
crosby
In other words:
eric
There was no need to post all of that twice.

I really cannot see where any of it supports your accusations.

Oh and by the way, Hello Dr, O!

abs-cheers.gif

Oxygenee
He's BAAAAAAAAACK!

Welcome Dr O, always good to see you here.

I could explain the several fallacies in your argument, but that would spoil the fun, so I'll let it ride for a while…

traineraz
QUOTE(crosby @ Dec 6 2007, 12:03 AM) *

In other words:

Where the fuck do you FIND this stuff!?
Oxygenee
It's probably best not to ask.
Steve
QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Dec 5 2007, 08:31 PM) *
yammer yammer… blah blah…

IPB Image
thegreenimp
For newer members of Fee Verte.
Donnie Darko
I don't see what is inconsistent about anything Ted said there. When something was an estimate, he said it was an estimate. An estimate is not the same thing as actual measured t-jone content. He did make an error in his estimates, but anyone scientifically inclined is generally happy about making errors in their estimates, since when actual testing reveals those errors, that's how scientific discoveries are born!

You are criticizing Ted for approaching this scientifically, rather than just accepting everything based on calculated estimates only, as you and stupid Dr. Arnold apparently have done.

You are a word that rhymes with betarded.
thegreenimp
A little blast from the past of Dr. O, aka Yammering Nattering Nutjob.

Ordinaire's comments on the modern Pernod absinthe from Pernod-Ricard:

IPB Image

A few comments from the archives on Ordiniare's skills:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ordinaire get's nailed by Marc Campbell

IPB Image

All you are, and all you will ever be Ordinaire, is a joke.
speedle
Oh, thegreenimp, that is totally cruel. blink.gif

Who knew?

Oxygenee
The L'Absinthe Rend Fou people have made me appreciate the good ol' days with Dr O even more…
sixela
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Dec 6 2007, 07:41 PM) *

For newer members of Fee Verte.

There's no need to bring that up. His broken record is entertaining in its own right.

Absomphe
Everything Old is new again! LARS!.gif
dr_ordinaire
One would imagine that, in the big scheme of things, it is far less important when a lowly Hausgemachter makes a coloring mistake than when a professional chemist misses his chop.gif target by 100 mg/Kg. Especially when his "misses" coincide with his marketing strategies…

But then, what would the Forum be without the Teddie Boys…?
traineraz
QUOTE(speedle @ Dec 6 2007, 11:09 AM) *

Oh, thegreenimp, that is totally cruel. blink.gif

Who knew?

Only everyone who's been around here more than about 6 months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.