Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vote early and vote often.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Pages: 1, 2
Oxygenee
Your predictions for the outcome please.

I'll go out on a limb:
The Republicans hold the Senate, and, against all expectations, hold the House by ONE seat.
You heard it here first.
G&C
Is there an echo in here?

G&C
I voted early.

They won't let me vote often.
traineraz
I predict that whoever's in office will continue to rape the world and American citizenry alike.
Donnie Darko
I think the Dems will take the House by a small margin, but I'd be shocked if they took the Senate.

I'll be satisfied with that result. The best we can hope for is gridlock. One of my favourite comedians, Lewis Black, said "The only thing worse than a Republican or a Democrat is when the two work together. The Republican says 'I've got a really shitty idea', and the Democrat says 'And I can make it shittier!'"

The point is to not vote FOR anybody, but to vote to fire those in power who you feel have done a lousy job. If you were running a business, and some of your employees were royally fucking things up for your company via all sorts of incompetent and irresponsible behaviour, would you wait until you had searched long and hard for just the right replacement that fit your specific preferences before you fired their ass?

This is a very simple election. All you have to do is ask yourself if you're satisfied with how Congress and the Senate are running things. If you are, then vote for them to keep their jobs. If you're not, then vote to fire them.

What blows my mind is how we have reports of voting machines failing in Ohio again. What the fuck is wrong with these incompetent dimwits that make these voting machines and train poll workers? All they have to do is work for TWO DAYS in one year (one for primary, one for general election) and they can't even get that right. Thank god they don't make ATM machines.

Oh wait, they do.
Absomphe
What is this, how you say, voting? blink.gif
traineraz
That's when you go into a booth all by yourself and tug on a lever while secretly saying what you REALLY want.
Absomphe
Sounds dysfunctionally passive-aggresive to me.

I think I'll pass.
Jaded Prole
The best we can hope for is gridlock. One of my favourite comedians, Lewis Black, said "The only thing worse than a Republican or a Democrat is when the two work together. The Republican says 'I've got a really shitty idea', and the Democrat says 'And I can make it shittier!'"

That's been my theory.
Pataphysician
Voter turnout could be low because of all the negative campaigning. A man in Chicago said he was so disgusted that this year he's only going to vote once.
Bada-boom.
jacal01
The tugging on a lever sounds intriguing. Explains the booth. And all the good of the results.
crosby
I voted no on every single ballot measure.

I'm betting Arnold remains the Gubinator. Four more years of good times. cdog-plain.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Nov 7 2006, 02:05 AM) *

I'll go out on a limb:
The Republicans hold the Senate, and, against all expectations, hold the House by ONE seat.
You heard it here first.

You could write headlines for the NY Post...
Lord Stanley
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 7 2006, 05:42 PM) *

One of my favourite comedians, Lewis Black, said "The only thing worse than a Republican or a Democrat is when the two work together. The Republican says 'I've got a really shitty idea', and the Democrat says 'And I can make it shittier!'"

I believe Bill Maher said that the Republicans are the party of bad ideas and the Democrats are the party of no ideas. Might have been Lewis Black as well.
Oxygenee
Yup. I knew all the polls suggested a Democratic win in the House, but I thought I'd make a prediction defying the conventional wisdom, based on nothing more than their proven track record in the last two Presidential elections of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Turns out though, that despite the best efforts of Sen Kerry etc, the conventional wisdom was spot on.
Donnie Darko
In this climate Dr. O could have run against the Republican incumbent and likely would have won.

The only change we'll likely see though is a Congressional attempt to lynch the President in a similar fashion to Clinton's last two years. Now the speaker of the house will be a clueless female windbag instead of a clueless male windbag. Wasn't that Pelosi lady for the war before she was against it?

EDIT: I checked. She was actually against the war from day 1, she's no John Kerry. Maybe she's not as clueless as she sounds when she speaks.
Jaded Prole
One hopes but the Dems tend to be spineless, visionless windbags as opposed to the repug "will to power" ideological windbags.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 8 2006, 05:29 AM) *

In this climate Dr. O could have run against the Republican incumbent and likely won.

Especially with his campaign slogan:

"Absinthe in every pot still, and two carboys in every garage".
Jaded Prole
I'd vote for O. for the entertainment he would provide.
Donnie Darko
I would as well. He's been right about more things than our President, which I think at last count was one or two things.

I'll admit that I was wrong about the Senate too, as it looks like the Dems will take the Senate after all, with the incumbent in VA losing by 6,000 votes and the incumbent in Montana losing by about 3,000. Of course a recount could change that, but I'd be surprised if a recount swung several thousand votes.

The old maxim "give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves" rings true for Republicans today.
Pataphysician
And (I'm sure it's just coincidence but) Rumsfeld has just been fired. I don't understand, he was doing a fantastic job!
Donnie Darko
w00t2.gif

I'm sure he has a job waiting for him at the Post Office, his performance seems to be up to their standards.

Apparently he's going to be replaced by Robert Gates, whose chief area of expertise was fighting Communsim in the Cold War as former CIA director under the immensely successful George Bush Sr.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. How many old guard zombies are they going to re-animate before they realize that Cold War veterans are ill equipped to fight Islamic Fascism? Why don't they just get it over with and give the post to Henry Kissinger and make Oliver North Deputy Secretary of Defense?
traineraz
You know you wish you'd voted right in 2004.

IPB Image
http://www.zombiereagan.com/

Whichever way Virginia goes, it's going to be a balanced Senate, half and half . . . who knows, might result in some bipartisanship.

Naaah.
Donnie Darko
We already had bi-partisanship and look what that got us. The fucks on both sides of the aisle passed tax cuts for millionaires, incurred massive budget deficits and gave Bush and his monkeys a blank check for the Iraq war.

We need the Democrats to stop the Republican agenda in its tracks, not allow aspects of it to continue in the name of bi-partisanship. They've had 6 years of free reign, rolling over for Bush at every opportunity, mastering the art of corruption, and have passed nearly everything except their pathetic excuse for social security "reform". At this point the Democrats' job is to be the janitors of the House and Senate, picking up the litter their Republican predecessors left behind during their 6 year long raging kegger. This hangover won't be cured overnight. I'm not feeling optimisitic about it, just less depressed than I was before.

Call me cynical, but I won't be satisifed until we all have flying cars and Captain Picard is President.
Jaded Prole
Then I want a replicator!
traineraz
With a replicator, we could ALL have bottles of l'Artisanale.

If memory serves, Democrats are just as good at corruption as Republicans. Isn't that how the "Repugnant Revolution" and the "Contract on America" happened in the first place?
Jaded Prole
They are all working for the same corporate support though some are more cprrupt than others. The difference is that most Dems are visionless bureaucrats while many Repugs are ideological right extremeists. We could benefit by a wider range of parties but this's what we're stuck with for now.

My replicator would make Berger and E. Pernod!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Nov 8 2006, 03:05 PM) *

Then I want a replicator!

Finally, something to vote FOR!
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 8 2006, 12:59 PM) *
Call me cynical, but I won't be satisifed until we all have flying cars.

It's already been done. harhar.gif

http://www.strangebirds.com/SB-WU-Aerocar.html
Jaded Prole
Yes! Get around like Santos Dumont did in Paris.
thegreenimp
From the Santos Dumont Biography "Wings of Madness":

During his frequent "Aerial Dinner Parties" which took place during the late 1890's, absinthe was served to the guests.
(The Aerial Dinners were always served at elevated tables constructed by Dumont, to give the guests the feeling of dining in the air.)

During his powered balloon flights of 1901, when dining at Maxim's the subject at the table drifted to the rising price of absinthe, which had climbed 30% following the fire at the Pernod distillery.

peridot
QUOTE(traineraz @ Nov 8 2006, 12:21 PM) *

Whichever way Virginia goes, it's going to be a balanced Senate, half and half . . . who knows, might result in some bipartisanship.

If it's split 50/50 Cheney's going to go apeshit about having to show up to vote on strictly partisan bills.
Donnie Darko
He won't have to. The Dems have won the senate, unless over 6,000 additional votes magically appear in the recount for Allen and none appear for Webb.
Absomphe
...and Katherine Harris does road shows.
AndrewT
I love old style planes. I downloaded a model of the Demoiselle for MS Flight Simulator.
peridot
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 8 2006, 06:28 PM) *

He won't have to. The Dems have won the senate, unless over 6,000 additional votes magically appear in the recount for Allen and none appear for Webb.

In my mind I see hundreds of GOP lawyers descending upon Virginia and turning it into a Florida:2000-style circus. I hope I'm wrong. If the recount is clean and unobstructed Webb should win.
traineraz
I'd love to see them do that and lose. It'd be just the sort of thing to remind people of in 2008.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(peridot @ Nov 8 2006, 09:08 PM) *

[In my mind I see hundreds of GOP lawyers descending upon Virginia and turning it into a Florida:2000-style circus. I hope I'm wrong. If the recount is clean and unobstructed Webb should win.

Not gonna happen. The AP just declared Webb the winner by at least a 7,200 vote margin and Allen said he's "not going to drag it out", so the Dems take the Senate too, barely.

Donnie Darko
Looks like the terrorists won. Get ready for unwed welfare mothers having babies that want to gay marry illegal immigrants. So long family values! Soon you'll be able to find American flag rolling papers at your local convenience store alongside bible printed toilet paper and RU-486. Osama Bin Laden is probably calling to congratulate Nancy Pelosi as we speak. She's already talking about getting rid of tax breaks for oil companies. Guess us Americans can kiss all of our jobs goodbye and get ready for a Jimmy Carter style gas crisis! Hasta La Vista, freedom! The Republican agenda has been late-term aborted.
AndrewT
I'm glad I've taken part in this historic outcome. Rather exhilarating, actually.
peridot
I'm glad Allen isn't going to drag it out. I would have more heart attacks than Dick Cheney before it was over.

The conservative agenda has been dead since the current crop of neocon filth took office. And rightfully, the imposter Republican Authoritarian Anti-American agenda has indeed been aborted. Now we all get to watch as the minority neocons fondle its corpse Santorum-style.
Kirk
It's funny how many of the Conservative shills have expressed relief at not having to haul water anymore.

Rush was actually relieved.
Jaded Prole
Things were getting difficult to spin in any believable way.

I would love to have a working replica or that Demoiselle.
AndrewT
Do you mean an actual replica of the Demoiselle, or the Flight Sim replica? If the later, I can send it to you, it was a free download on a site that I forgot to bookmark, but I still have the zip. If the former, I can't really help you there, but I do share your admiration.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Nov 9 2006, 07:22 AM) *

Things were getting difficult to spin in any believable way.

Welcome to the "reality-based" world, Republicans! We've been waiting for you.
Jaded Prole
They refuse to evolve on principle.
The Standard Deviant
People have enough accidents driving in two dimensions, imagine the horror of three. . .
Donnie Darko
I'd be getting real nervous once the fuel tank hit 1/4 full.

As for the election, I'm liking the tone this Pelosi lady is setting thus far. Sounds like a welcome contrast to the '98 Republican witch hunt. Of course it's all empty talk right now, everybody is trying to put on an air of pleasantry and compromise. We'll see what actually happens in January. Congressional Democrats have a history of turning most policies and policy decisions into a bureaucratic mess, so I'm hoping this time it will be a little different. Sadly if it is, I expect to see Bush use his veto power he seems to have forgotten about.
traineraz
Finally, Rush and Coulter and all those other flapping heads will be able to attack at will!

No wonder they're relieved. All the bad press won't be about their guys anymore.
Donnie Darko
Nothing will change. Before the Democrats had control of the house and Senate, those particular commentators blamed Liberals for everything. Now that the Democrats control the House and Senate, those particular commentators will blame Liberals for everything.

And they'll still be rich, have a loyal audience and lie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.