Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introducing John Whiteside Marvel Parsons
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Hemingway's Hangover
Hi there. This is only my second post but I've lurking here for awhile and have never seen a thread dedicated to Jack Parsons so I thought I'd step up.

Jack Parsons was one of the founding fathers of modern American Rocketry. He designed prototypes for both the solid and liquid fuel forms still used by NASA while helping build the Rocketry division at Cal-Tech. He founded JPL propulsion labs while perfecting the principles handed down from Vaun Braun, Goddard and others.

He was also a ritual magician and follower of Aleister Crowley. Parsons founded and "ran" the inaugural version of Crowley's O.T.O group in California, which led to a life of ritual sex, drink and drugs. The heady mix of early sci-fi literature, mind-bending magickal rituals and free love was fueled by absinthe, which Parson distilled himself in his laboratory.

Last call is never far off, however, and after years of advenuture and oneiric exploration, Jack Parsons slipped while mixing powders in his lab. The blast devastated his body and he died after twenty minutes of unimaginable agony.

Jack Parsons' name is still very much alive: there is a crater on the dark side of the moon named in his honor.

There are two excellent biographies of Parsons available. "Strange Angel" by George Pendle is the best: it leaves aside most of the details regarding the Crowelian magick and keeps a focus on the rocketry and decadence.
ubu
Jack Parsons is a very interesting person. I never knew he distilled absinthe. Disinformation's Book of Lies has a chapter on his (I think) wife Marjorie Cameron subtitled "The Wormwood Star", but it didn't go into anything absinthe related. I'll have to get that biography.
Slightly off topic: In January Fantoma is set to release Volume One of Kenneth Anger's films which covers his first film up to Inaugaration of the Pleasure Dome, in which Cameron stars (as does Anais Nin).
Oxygenee
That's very interesting - are you absolutely sure of the absinthe connection? Is it specifically referenced in the biography you mentioned? Either way, he seems a fascinating character - I've ordered "Strange Angel" from Amazon.

If he did distill his own, it would make him the patron saint of American HG...
Nepenthes
If I remember correctly, yes there is direct reference to Parsons making his own absinthe.

And apart from all of the fun facts listed above, his first wife ran off with L. Ron Hubbard taking all of Parsons' money with them.
Provenance
And an empire was born.
Hemingway's Hangover
Sorry I didn't mention this specifically, but yes, "Strange Angel" does contain the reference to Parson's home distillation of absinthe. I don't have the book in front of me so I can't cite a page number but I seem to recall that it occured on the OTO property.
Hemingway's Hangover
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 22 2006, 10:59 AM) *

And an empire was born.

Parsons was also anti-capitalist & anti-war...for all the good it did him.
Provenance
I was referring to his first wife and Mr. Hubbard.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Hemingway's Hangover @ Nov 22 2006, 10:35 AM) *

Parsons was also anti-capitalist & anti-war...for all the good it did him.

How boring. harhar.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 22 2006, 12:59 PM) *

And an empire was born.

You forgot to put the word "evil" in front of empire.

Down with Xenu and his Thetans!
Hemingway's Hangover
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Nov 22 2006, 11:53 AM) *

How boring. harhar.gif

I would call it "quaint", but each to his own.

traineraz
How odd that a rocket scientist would get involved with such other activities.

Then again, perhaps it was just an easy way to get laid.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(traineraz @ Nov 28 2006, 12:13 AM) *

How odd that a rocket scientist would get involved with such other activities.

Then again, perhaps it was just an easy way to get laid.

I'm busy ploughing through both biographies at the moment. Parsons certainly pushed the envelope of "getting laid". He filmed himself having sex with his mother, and his mother's dog.
Stroller
Another one of your websites? harhar.gif
Steyr850
Him, Crowley, Hubbard, and Cameron were up to no good.
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 1 2006, 01:56 AM) *

I'm busy ploughing ... having sex with his mother, and his mother's dog.

It is good to know that you have diverse interests.
Absomphe
And that he can spell 'plowing' so elegantly, while indulging in such base, visceral pleasures. worshippy.gif
traineraz
You suggest there are other sorts of pleasures?
Absomphe
Well, er, um...

No.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Dec 1 2006, 08:00 PM) *

And that he can spell 'plowing' so elegantly,

I eschew the w.
traineraz
Escheugh?

Introducing John Whiteside Jingleheimer Parsons

His name is my name, too!
Jaded Prole
Gesuntheit!
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 2 2006, 01:38 AM) *

I eschew the w.

Pasons eschewed his mom. You wish to the do the same to the American President.
bob_chong
What a tortured metaphor, Prov. How long you take to think that one up?
Provenance
No matter how little time it took, it was still too long.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 1 2006, 04:56 AM) *

He filmed himself having sex with his mother, and his mother's dog.

I hope the dog wasn't male. That would be gay.
Kirk
I'm drunk again, so my aim is off, but I'll pick privatization for now, to shoot at;
some of you feel that public money is best privately spent, I disagree,
the more you bleed the public fund, the more sense your argument will make but there are some jobs better left to the public sector. If the privileged class want to educate their progeny privately, let them, they have that power, but, I find it hard to believe that if I found myself unable, that those who are able would refuse me a few cents on their dollar to keep me from dying.
crosby
QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 5 2006, 09:36 PM) *

I'm drunk again, so my aim is off...

My brother!
ubu
My copy of Strange Angel arrived today. Jack Parsons seems like my kind of guy, except for the incest and bestiality.
Kirk
Prude.
Jaded Prole
Damn Yankees!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 7 2006, 07:26 AM) *

Prude.

You only say that cuz you're from East Bullfuck, Virginny, and you know he's just jealous.

Kirk
That's not fair, they wanted it.
Absomphe
Yeah, I know, point taken.

They walk around in those provacative micro-mini hides, and what's a red-blooded, horny guy supposed to do?

ubu
"Prude."

Yeah, I know. I've got to get with the times. And that was over a half-century ago.
thegreenimp
I'll bet this would horrify Mr. Whiteside.

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/rosie-o&#...like-205253.php
Donnie Darko
I would comment, but it's so hard to type while projectile vomiting...
Absomphe
You said "hard"...

Please tell me you didn't mean it.

Or were you just hitting that KOSG test sample a bit early?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.