Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy Thanksgiving!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
bob_chong
"Although it be not always so plentifull, as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so farre from want, that we often wish you partakers of our plentie."

--Edward Winslow, 1621
Stroller
Click to view attachment
Absomphe
HAPPY THUJONE DAY, EVERYONE!!!
G&C
That's one Big Bird!
Absomphe
Funny, he's the one muppet I don't see in that cartoon.
AndrewT
That means you're not looking hard enough.
Nymphadora
I spent my Thanksgiving day hungover from drinking too many apple martinis at the local pub. Nothing like starting your holiday with vomit.
Absomphe
QUOTE(AndrewT @ Nov 23 2006, 02:41 PM) *

That means you're not looking hard enough.

That's what she said.

Of course not, I'm old, and I don't trust Bob.
Stroller
QUOTE(Nymphadora @ Nov 23 2006, 06:06 PM) *

I spent my Thanksgiving day hungover from drinking too many apple martinis at the local pub. Nothing like starting your holiday with vomit.

Such a pretty thought.
Steve
Happy Turkey Day!

We had a house full of relatives from far away today (10 people). It was so much work, but it turned out really great. I'm thankful to be able to have them here and spend time with them. We had a close call yesterday, when my 83-year old mom took a bad fall while they were at Pier 39 watching the sea lions, falling on her hip that she has broken before, practically falling in the icy bay waters! An ambulance ride and a few hours at the ER later, good news, no broken bones, but still a lot of pain and immobility for awhile. And a number of very shaken up people!

Life is short, I'm glad to hold the ones I love close. heart.gif

We made turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, brussel sprout salad, cranberry/orange sauce, homemade herb rolls, etc etc and I made 2 pumpkin pies and an apple tart tatin. Damn I make good crusts if I do say so. And we had 2 really nice old wines.
ubu
My father passed away during the holidays last year, so my girlfriend and I visited my mother for Thanksgiving. It was nice while we were there, but extremely depressing afterwards. I'm thankful to have such a caring SO, even if she hates the taste of absinthe.
Of which, by the way, I have had five glasses tonight.
jacal01
So what are YOU drinking?
ubu
I started with L'Artisinale, then a glass of Montmarte, then a glass of Edouard, then a glass of Eichelberger Verte, and finally a Kallnacher Red mixed with tonic. I'm feeling pretty damn good right about now. I'm just about ready to reach for the Serpis but I'd probably better call it a night. Especially since it's after 7 in the morning. The good thing is that I'm on vacation this week.
jacal01
Good selection. Nice buzz.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Spoon @ Nov 23 2006, 11:59 PM) *

We made turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, brussel sprout salad, cranberry/orange sauce, homemade herb rolls, etc etc and I made 2 pumpkin pies and an apple tart tatin. Damn I make good crusts if I do say so. And we had 2 really nice old wines.

Ok, I'm getting REALLY hungry now.
Good to hear it turned out fine.

Donnie Darko
QUOTE(bob_chong @ Nov 23 2006, 10:39 AM) *

"Although it be not always so plentifull, as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so farre from want, that we often wish you partakers of our plentie."

--Edward Winslow, 1621

The bold lettered God is often given 100% of the credit, but I think we also owe enormous gratitude to the Native Americans for feeding the Jamestown settlers during their first bleak winter, as they would have starved and the colony would have failed without the generosity of the Native population. I'm thankful for anyone like that who reaches out to someone in a time of need.
speedle
Point taken. abs-cheers.gif
speedle
Well, one more thought before I retire. My mom passed away the other day at 78, so it really wasn't a happy Thanksgiving for all of us, but we gave it a good go. In what passed for partying in the wake of the wake, I managed to down 5 glasses of NO. Made me grin like an idiot at the time. Managed to not puke, but every time I smell that (previously delightful) bottle, I wanna....

Only time will tell, eh, about everything?

Well, at any rate, we scattered her ashes in Lake Superior today, so now I finally feel I can say, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!
ubu
I'm sorry for your loss, Speedle.
Nymphadora
My condolences. It must be especially hard on people when they lose someone near the holidays.
Stroller
I'm sorry to hear about that Speedle.
Absomphe
My deepest sympathies, Speedle, and I couldn't picture a finer choice for a resting place.

I lost my dad during the holidays of 1987, and even though we weren't close, it was a difficult time , and affected me far more than I would have imagined.
Steve
My sympathies as well, speedle. I've unfortunately had a lot of experience with people close to me dying, and I know what a different perspective one has afterwards. Scattering ashes is a very healthy step.
Donnie Darko
You have my sympathies Speedle. There is never a good time to die, but the holidays always make it harder.

speedle
Thanks so much, everyone, I greatly appreciate your kind words of support. Now of course, the debate is what to do about Christmas, which I think, as it gets closer, we'll all feel better about. I need to just not drink for a few days, and I think we'll all be on our way to dealing with the grief, letting it flow through us so to speak.
Kirk
Sorry to hear about that, Speedles.
I hope everyone else had a nice Thanksgiving, I trust no one ate stuffing, how disgusting is that, anyway?
I hope everyone ate some cranberry jiggleay, I have to have it, every year, you know the stuff; comes in a can, when you dump it out it makes a sucking sound, and there are rings around it, impressions from the metal, and it jiggles. I call it the jiggly stuff, my wife calls it "jiggleay".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.