Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new Jade PF 1901
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
PDXAbsinthe
I ordered a bottle of this anyone try it yet no one is talking about it here?

will it give me “runny shit” the next day poop.gif

never mind it's in the general forum
traineraz
Then kindly grab a mop and bucket and clean it up, before somebody slips.
Absomphe
QUOTE(PDXAbsinthe @ Nov 28 2006, 11:47 PM) *

I ordered a bottle of this anyone try it yet no one is talking about it here?

will it give me “runny shit” the next day poop.gif

Apparently, just thinking about it has given you runny sentences.
Deluge
I love those speedy monkeys.

Well, I guess my weekend begins now!!! abs-cheers.gif

Deluge
Crap. I don't have a corkscrew at my desk.
hartsmar
No suckers at the office?
Marc
a syringe ?
a hammer ?
Deluge
A quick survey of my inventory…

Scissors, thumbtacks, paperclips, an assortment of pens and pencils, umm, a letter opener.

Suggestions?
AndrewT
You could straighten out a paperclip, wind it aroudn a pencil to make a helix, then bend the last loop or two over the pencil at a 90 degree angle for a makeshift corkscrew...
Deluge
I need to wait until 5:00. frusty.gif
eric
Jade P. F. 1901

This is the long awaited Jade re-pro of Pernod Fils absinthe.

Reviewed by eric 12/1/2006

COLOR BEFORE WATER 9/10
Perfectly clear light Peridot. Very nice.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Nice swirling turbulence building up to a near-perfect opalescence. Quite good.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
Whitish green, a little pale but still very satisfactory.

AROMA 27/30
Fruity anise with a hint of mint up front. Familiar dark wormwood tones in the back. Some sweet fennel notes linger at the end along with the pungent scent of grape spirit that is characteristic of the Jade products. Becomes more floral after adding water.

MOUTH-FEEL 10/10
Near perfect. Very full bodied. Certainly up to what one would expect.

TASTE 18/20
Extremely well balanced. Lots of fresh tasting floral notes countered with a pleasantly mild darkness that produces a lingering bitterness on the palate. Very reminiscent of the samples of pre-ban Pernod Fills that I have tasted.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10
I came very close to giving this one a ten. I really like this Absinthe a lot. It makes for a very tasty, refreshing drink. This is a fine product and worthy of its reputation.

eric scores Jade P. F. 1901 90 out of 100
Steyr850
Nice review Eric. Unfortunatley for me though, I'm tapped out from the Pernot binge.

Ain't exzactly cryin' though.
speedle
Drats! I waited all afternoon in the snowstorm for the flying monkeys to see me! Oh well, there's always Monday. Good review though, I really can't wait now! abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
Thanks, Eric, that really has me hankerin' for the arrival of my order, and it definitely sounds like the best Jade yet.
Absinthesizer
More thanks, Eric. I have had two absinthe panic attacks: The first was when the New Yorker article came out, and I thought I'd better glom onto a bottle of Edouard before it sold out. (I did and it did.) The second was just last night, a few days after the 1901 was put on sale. Your review has given me confidence that my panic buying was indeed the right decision.

However, my wife may still kill me when she sees the credit card bill. (After all, what's the point of ordering one bottle from LdF?) If you hear about another absinthe murder, the victim is probably me.
plunger
Does anyone know how long it was aged? It definatly is the best balanced offering from Ted to date( thank you for the absence of the nafarious DP).
AndrewT
Wow, Eric scoring it a 90 is high praise indeed. I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I have money to spend on bottles.
Marc
Nice review Eric, your aroma description really reminds me of the one we had about the PF 1914.

So how would you compare 2 top-quality absinthes : PF1901 and L'Artisanale ?
I think their profiles and objectives are differents and they're both very good at what they were aimed for, more fruity anise in one and more floral wormwood in the other.
Jaded Prole
Eric's impressive review is making my credit card ache.

Damn that exchange rate though.
Donnie Darko
I hear ya. I paid off one so the bastards on the other one doubled my limit without asking me. This old cow ain't got no milk left, but it may just have to get the PF 1901 anyway. If Eric gave it a 90, that's definitely something I want to taste. Merry Christmas Mastercard, here, have some interest on me...
ubu
I paid off all of mine last year, but then I got rid of them because I don't trust myself with credit. Now I missed out on two of the three limited Pernot offerings, I'm going to miss out on the 1914 Pernod, and I'm going to have to wait to get a bottle (or two) of the 1901. I miss my credit. Come back, interest rates; all is forgiven!
grey boy
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 2 2006, 09:03 AM) *

Merry Christmas Mastercard, here, have some interest on me...

Good work Donnie,
I have Visa covered.
The Standard Deviant
I've just remembered I have an interest free overdraft, but I think I'll leave it unused.
Lord Stanley
I just work the interest-free balance transfers when necessary. It helps out nicely if you can avoid transfer fees and pay off the balance within the promotional period. I haven't paid any credit card interest in years although I rarely carry a balance anyway. Credit cards really suck when they're allowed to get out of control.
Donnie Darko
Credit cards are for amateurs. Try student loans sometime and enter a whole new world of pain.
Absinthesizer
The world of tuition and student loans has really changed in the past two decades. I had a negative net worth at age 32 because the sum of my outstanding student loans was greater than the sum of all the stuff I owned. But at least I was a total screw-up. A couple of years ago my paper hired a 32-year old whose negative worth was 20 times what mine had been at that age - and unlike me, she had plotted an actual career path. It had just cost her a lot more.

She told me she just made the interest payments while she waited for her parents to die.

[FWIW, I would never pay interest on absinthe. The stuff costs enough as it is.]
The Standard Deviant
I would never buy absinthe on a credit card, unless the company did not accept a debit card, of course.

I have a student loan, and I also have an interest free overdraft which could easily cover the cost a bottle of 1914 Pernod Fils, but I'm not in the habit of spending money I don't have.

Anyway, why buy that when I could have at least 3 bottles of La Fée X•S?
Lord Stanley
I buy everything with credit cards but I also pay off the balance at the end of every month. I like the security and convenience that credit cards offer as well as the incentives - cash back, Airmiles, gift certificates etc.

I wouldn't buy something on credit if there was a chance that I'd be paying interest. The banks don't take any of my money. I guess my incentives and no-interest promotions are financed by the folks that don't know what the hell they're doing with their accounts.
Absinthesizer
Ditto. I don't earn enough to feel comfortable paying interest - and I don't earn so little that I have no choice but to pay interest.

Now when will those damn monkeys arrive with my PF 1901?!? How long does Sunday go on, anyway?
grey boy
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 3 2006, 06:29 PM) *

Credit cards are for amateurs. Try student loans sometime and enter a whole new world of pain.

I just paid mine off recently,
I'm close to to standing upright once again.
speedle
Double damn it, no MONKEYS today either?? I wonder how long I should reasonably wait before I assume it has been lost to the vagaries of the federal government??

Must...have...PF...soon... w00t2.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(grey boy @ Dec 4 2006, 12:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 3 2006, 06:29 PM) *

I just paid mine off recently,
I'm close to to standing upright once again.

I'm still Cro-Magnon man.
Jaded Prole
'least your not a Neandethal.
ripvanmd

[/quote]

Yeah...mine are still accruing...fun times when your student debt can buy a Ferrari...damn
Absomphe
PF 1901

COLOR BEFORE WATER 9/10

Beautiful, refractive medium peridot green.

LOUCHE ACTION 10/10

Slowly building, turbid louche which is mostly opaque, but with some lovely opalescent highlights, and a nice vibrance.

COLOR BEFORE WATER 9/10

Milky white, but with some solid green underpinning. Very appetizing.

AROMA 28/30

Neat, there is that characteristic marc spirit mustiness (although it does NOT come across as funky in the slightest), as well as earthy wormwood tones. With the addition of water the aroma blossoms into a virtual herb garden of anise, fennel, and coriander, and that musty quality vanishes.

MOUTHFEEL 9/10

I was close to awarding a perfect ten in this area. The only word that comes to mind is silky. It is more spritely than the Jade Verte Suisse, and fuller than the Edouard, and strikes a near-perfect balance between the two (as I remember them).

TASTE 18/20

Beautifully rounded, spicy/herbal flavor that is meticulously crafted, and accented by the grape alcohol base that adds earthy depth to the mix. After sipping a second glass, I noticed a definite citric quality to this absinthe, which may be imparted by melissa, but seems more like an ester emanating from an aggregate of several herbs, and this really adds to the finesse of this absinthe. The minty/ bitter finish lingers delightfully.

Overall Impression 9/10

I'm really blown away by this luxurious effort, and I look forward to doing a side-by-side sampling of it, and a glass from the 1914 Cache.

Absomphe scores PF 1901 92/100
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 4 2006, 04:16 PM) *

Aren't we all?
G&C
I look forward to doing a side-by-side sampling of it, and a glass from the 1914 Cache.

Me too.

You buying?
Absomphe
Already bought and you're covered, buddy. abs-cheers.gif
G&C
cheekkiss.gif
speedle
Awww....nice to see such sweetness. BTW, monkeys arrived, tore open box, am now drinking. Holy cow, is this good! absintheglass-glow2.gif
Donnie Darko
Where's my damn monkeys?!?!?! When did you order?
speedle
Actually now that my bottle is finally here, it took all of eight days, which of course is some kind of eternity in Monkey Time!
ripvanmd
My PF 1901 was ordered on 12/2 and got here 12/5...fast but I think that I live at a monkey hub.
speedle

So, Donnie, did you get your order yet??

I have to add this though. Recently, somebody here (I'm too lazy to look up who actually posted it) said, and I'm paraphrasing, that sometimes the anticipation, hype and excited postings create a slight letdown when you actually taste the stuff. I've gotta say this happened here. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's damn good, at least as good as the Eddy (which is my second fav bottle behind the [nearly gone!] Ike), but this is the first time that's happened to me. Maybe it was just the two day monkey delay, who knows...
Absomphe
I don't see it now, but I seem to recall a mention on the LDF website about a 10 working day timeframe (at the outside), due to the popularity of the Jades.

Or I hallucinated that, which is certainly possible.
Absinthesizer
So, you've been nipping at the KOSG already?!?
Absomphe
As difficult as it has been for me to resist such a compelling temptation, I have far too much integrity to violate the agreement that our fearless leader has insisted upon we "chosen" keeping. evill.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(speedle @ Dec 8 2006, 11:39 AM) *

So, Donnie, did you get your order yet??

No. I ordered it on 12/2. I'm just assuming the delay was due to the demand though. Apparently they had similar difficulties after the New Yorker article. It's of no consequence really, I have a horrible cold so I wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway.
Absomphe
I'm sorry to hear about your cold, Donnie, although there's an upside to it.

It means you may not have to actually taste the KOSG come Sunday, you lucky bastid!
speedle
Is Sunday King of Shit day or something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.