Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yeeesh....who'd a thunk it?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Dr Magnan's Lab
ripvanmd
This is a little disturbing....I really doubt that there is any meat to it, but it would be interesting to see what brand...(my library doesn't have the .pdf)

Int J Cardiol. 2006 Nov 10;113(2):e48-50. Epub 2006 Jul 7. Links
Electrocardiographic findings after acute absinthe intoxication.Benezet-Mazuecos J, de la Fuente A.
A 29-year-old comatose patient was brought to Emergency Department with severe alcohol intoxication. No risk factors or cardiac abnormalities were documented. The analysis was negative for other drugs. Plasma electrolyte and cardiac enzymes were normal. The electrocardiogram showed Mobitz type-I atrioventricular block that developed to a rapid junctional rhythm. The patient was stabilized and recovered completely, electrocardiogram then showed sinus rhythm. He admitted important absinthe consumption. Although tachyarrhythmias are frequently developed in acute alcohol intoxication, bradyarrhythmias are exceptional in this context. We present a Wenckebach-type atrioventricular-block in severe alcohol intoxication with absinthe that developed to a rapid junctional rhythm, never described before.

PMID: 16828901 [PubMed - in process]
Steyr850
I really doubt it was absinthe.
jacal01
I suspect the spelling is important here. I wonder if they noticed whether his eyebrows were singed.
Jaded Prole
He may have been prone to arrhythmias in any case (I am) so tachy or brady are not so important. To confirm or disprove any connection to absinthe we would need a blind (drunk) test involving absinthe drinkers and say, raki drinkers, hooked up to EKG'sfter each has reached a BAC of over .30.

Volunteers?
Absinthesizer
Sorry, I never go beyond .28.
ripvanmd
Yeah...I suspect it was something Czech and flaming
Jaded Prole
Lightweights.
potsebubbleson
Think my highest was a .27, but I am always up for a challange!
G&C
Too much blood in the drug stream.
absinthist
I prefer ‰, that BAC is kinda confusing, so .50=5 ‰ and I know what it might mean-100% of hangover and one day interval needed.

On the other hand, there is a nice, reliable method of evaluating the maximum possible alcohol level in blood.

Let's analyse it on example of 500ml of absinthe ordinaire:

0.45 (percentage of the alcohol) x 500 (capacity of the drink) =225 : 70 (weight of a given person)=3.2‰

This, of course, suggests only the maximum level, but gives an idea that level won't be rather crossed.
Absomphe
I wonder where nearly 3/4 of a quart of 151 rum would put the blood alcohol level of someone 6' and 173 lbs.

Probably not in the lightweight category, even by Prolian standards.

1973, oh the nostalgia. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.