Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have a headache
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Corn Hole
The Standard Deviant
Aaargh!
hartsmar
viking_emoticon.gif

traineraz
Well my backside is sore, and I blame the Corn Hole.
crosby
He's just trying to get Hartsmar's goat.
hartsmar
THAT is one hot goat!
Jaded Prole
BAAAAAAAA Humbug
The Standard Deviant
I'm blaming the headache on one can of Kopparberg äpple 4.5%. I swear I had the pear one in the past and it was nice, but this was more like carbonated apple juice.
hartsmar
AHA!

Cider... You have only yourself to blame.
harhar.gif

I don't know what brands you have access to but if you find it, you should try "Kiviks". Another Swedish brand, good quality. I don't drink cider all that much myself, but they're good.
Absomphe
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Dec 3 2006, 02:18 PM) *

THAT is one hot goat!

I'm waiting for the movie, 'The Wicker Goat', starring Stellan Skarsgaard. w00t2.gif
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Dec 4 2006, 10:02 AM) *

AHA!

Cider... You have only yourself to blame.
harhar.gif

I don't know what brands you have access to but if you find it, you should try "Kiviks". Another Swedish brand, good quality. I don't drink cider all that much myself, but they're good.

I hadn't drunk any other alcohol on that day at all. There's some very good cider around the UK, and it doesn't come in cans.
aeldyth
Never heard of cider in a can. Generally, I have bought cider in a jug at an orchard. It ferments rather well in a dark closet.

I have occasionally bought English fruit beers (Melbourne Bros. comes to mind, but apparently my older daughter has raided the refrigerator again, so I can't check for sure). They were pretty good, but a little expensive.

I will have to try to find the Swedish variety. If nothing else, it sounds interesting.

Aeldyth
The Standard Deviant
Perhaps you're thinking of apple juice. I was talking about cider. No further fermentation needed.

The Kopparberg actually isn't what I'd consider cider: I read the ingredients (after drinking it) and it had added sparkling water, sugar and flavourings! I'll stick to real English and Normandy cider.
aeldyth
When shopping at a local orchard or farmer's market in the U.S., what passes for cider is a heavier version of apple juice (more substance, less water). Current laws usually don't allow alcoholic beverages to be sold in thos venues. Once the juice has fermented, it is then called "hard" cider.

Again, two countries divided by a common language.

Aeldyth
hartsmar
The only info I could find in english on the Kivik site: http://www.kiviks.se/bilder/engelsk.pdf

Cider: http://www.kiviks.se/cider_sys.html (in swedish)
The Standard Deviant
That sounds like a better sort of cider. I've never seen it in the UK though.
Provenance
If its available in your area, try Christian Drouin Poiré -- unpasteurized, unfiltered, from Normandy.
aeldyth
Thank you for the information, hartsmar. On my next foray to my local liquor store (it carries a lot of European brands), I will look for some of the Swedish cider.
By the way, I was able to understand most of the descriptions from the Swedish site. I will admit, however, that reading simple text is far easier than attempting to speak a language.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.