Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Shell Dripper
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
pierreverte
Click to view attachment
The first piece in a new series of high-quality drippers and spoons...would appreciate any opinions on it...
http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Spoons.html
Lord Stanley
Nice but I don't think I'd "shell out" 75 pounds for one.
Freud might.
Kirk
. . .
traineraz
Nice -- I AM a fan of shiny things -- though when I imagine a silver dripper, I picture a cupped A.a. leaf , with the edges of the leaf and the stem supporting the dripper on the glass. The shell with horns is a bit too mollusky for my tastes; and what if the absinthe has that slight fishy flavor to it? People might blame the dripper.

Just my $0.02.
crosby
I like it!
I don't think 75 Pounds is too much. I paid a good bit more for mine and it isn't nearly as shiny.
traineraz
But yours cost more because it has that piece of the original wire hanger used by Faye Dunawaye in Mommie Dearest. Hollywood memorabilia doesn't make for a fair match; let's compare apples to apples, here!

Hmm, not finding a comparable item right now, durnit.
hartsmar
It looks beautiful... I'd love to see more pictures of it to see how it looks on the glass etc.
traineraz
With or without Faye? I believe she's dead now.
Lord Stanley
You sure about that? I think Faye still looks pretty good for a woman in her 60's.
Marc
What hartsmar said, it looks beautiful but I would like to see more pictures too.
The process of reusing antiques is a very good idea.
crosby
It's hard to tell from the photo, but a smaller hole might be a good thing. Most of these devices need to have a smaller hole. Um, Trainer, not what I mean. cdog-plain.gif
hartsmar
Well, it's hard to find that perfect size for a hole. Water comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes.
pierreverte
the size of the hole was made larger based on the surface tension of the water not wanting to let it drip easily through a smaller hole and also sugar clogging it up.

Click to view attachment top view with sugar

Click to view attachment side view with ice showing silver 'ridge' to anchor it to the glass
hartsmar
See, now we're talking. Really nice!
Hiram
Beautiful! I love it.
Kirk
That's nice Peter, where can we see some more of this artists work?
Is he an absintheur?
Absomphe
QUOTE(traineraz @ Dec 17 2006, 01:08 AM) *

With or without Faye? I believe she's dead now.

No, that's just experimental "living mummification"...

I think Cher is her idol.
Marc
Thanks for the pics PV, I wanted to see the size of the shell once on a glass, that's really a nice piece.
The description says "The shell itself is an original antique sterling silver bowl", I beleive John does not have 100 antiques shell bowls to make 100 drippers, so my question is : does he plan to make other dripper shapes once he will run out of shell bowls ?
pierreverte
that's the idea, to work with great old designs and incorporate his own. he asked me to put in a little bio if anyone is interested:

>I’ve traditionally worked in hammered copper and silver in the Arts and Crafts style and have been interested in absinthe (favorites: Verte Suisse, PF 1901, and vintage Berger) for several years. I have been considering many interesting design concepts for absinthe items and am now setting aside some of my typical commission work to focus on this theme. I have a degree in design and a background in product development and sourcing. I collect antiques and have a good eye for aesthetics, my grandparents were antique dealers and artists and were a very heavy influence to my sense of design and balance.<

i have suggested that he join the forum, so he might respond to questions you all might have, himself...

traineraz
Some A & C style product might sell well. Not everyone is enthusiastic about Belle Epoque . . .

But please do ensure that he designs things that will work! (Unlike, say, the Neiman-Marcus fountain.)
Steve
QUOTE(traineraz @ Dec 18 2006, 09:10 AM) *

(Unlike, say, the Neiman-Marcus fountain.)

Or, perhaps even worse, the Kyle fountain atrocity...
Jaded Prole
Not everyone is enthusiastic about Belle Epoque . . .

I am. My house is arts & crafts with much period decor.

Nice grille, I look forward to seeing more from this artist.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Dec 18 2006, 02:41 PM) *

I am. My house is arts & crafts with much period decor.

Sounds like our place, as well, J.P.
Kirk
Craftsman is my favorite style, nice and clean, I think they developed it in place of antibiotics, a straight clean line being less likely to make you catch something.
Jaded Prole
Maybe so but after a near century of settling, I don't think there is a straight line in the house.
pierreverte
some other work from john:
The bud vase is a design after Roycroft and the pot is in the style of Dirk Van Erp. The flower plate is just an organic form with radial hammering.
pierreverte
dish:

detail:
bob_chong
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Dec 19 2006, 10:59 AM) *

I don't think there is a straight line in the house.

Lemme guess--everything leans to the left?
Jaded Prole
Actually to the left and the right with a slight highpoint in the center.
traineraz
Might wanna get your foundation checked . . .

You don't want your arts & crafts fountain to fall over!! (When it's been designed and crafted, that is.)
hissykitties
It's purrrrrrty PV.
crosby
It's even purrrrrrtier in real life. I really enjoyed meeting John too.
The Standard Deviant
It will be interesting to see what else is going to come in the series...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.