Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And Now For Something Completely Different . . .
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
tabreaux
When in the mood for a bit of intensity:

Click to view attachment

Don't be put off by the vintage date, it's only about $20.

The 375ml bottle is fine for two (or even three), so be generous.

Prepare yourselves for something very different, and enjoy.
The Standard Deviant
I might have to give that a go.
Absomphe
As long as it's a fairly dry sherry, I might, as well.
pierreverte
it ain't dry, oh no...that's one sticky sweet, but well balanced love bomb...pours and looks like fresh motor oil...(the bottle in the photo is clear) damn it's good, gotta get me some for the holidays...
The Standard Deviant
...love bomb? blink.gif
pierreverte
ask ted...
justabob
So Ted got lucky?
Absomphe
"it ain't dry, oh no...that's one sticky sweet, but well balanced love bomb..."

"Ask Ted".

After all these years, I think I've finally discovered the meaning of 'duck and cover'. wink.gif
Provenance
I have a friend who loves sherry. Thanks for the recommendation.
Steve
Ted and Peter were talking about this stuff when we visited them in Saumur 2 years ago. We picked up a bottle at the local hypermarket for, like Ted says, about $20 or $25. It is superb after a holiday meal. By all means get a bottle if you can find it.
Nymphadora
QUOTE(justabob @ Dec 16 2006, 08:38 PM) *

So Ted got lucky?

Of course...........remember absinthe is an aphrodisiac. wacko.gif
Alyssa Dyane
Crazy. I just checked online the wine cellar by my house - unless I have lost the ability to understand the sales sheet, it looks like this is on sale for $9.95 right now. Must go after to work and check it out. This place, by the way, is the best liquor store around Cali.
Jaded Prole
Couldn't find it around here. I may have to order some online as I enjoy a good sherry.
The Standard Deviant
I got some today in the whiskey shop on Old Compton Street (in Soho and stockists of King of Spirits, et al…), having checked the Soho Wine Supply (stockists of Jade and Duplais, and not actually in Soho) first.
pierreverte
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Dec 22 2006, 09:55 PM) *

Couldn't find it around here. I may have to order some online as I enjoy a good sherry.

this is not a sherry...
hartsmar
Noticed the Agricole Rhums added to Absintheonline.com just now.
Hmmmm... Must have.
Le Gimp
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Dec 23 2006, 06:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Dec 22 2006, 09:55 PM) *

this is not a sherry...

According to this it is, but what do they know?

My WineWorld

I think (and could be wrong) that it is a solera process wine made from grapes which are sun dried (raisins).

Does anyone have any better information? No luck getting it locally.

Jaded Prole
I have some great Raki that was with from raisin spirits.
pierreverte
Montillia-Moriles is not technically a sherry. this wine pretty much wipes the floor with any sweet sherry. it is amazing that the alcohol percentage is natural...
Absomphe
Once they toned it down a bit, I developed quite a taste for Dogfish Head's Raison d' Extra ale, which was brewed with a massive quantity of raisins, but turned out to be surprisingly complex, and immensely satisfying.

I may turn out to be a fan of this wine, even if it's not dry.

Thanks for the tip, Peter. abs-cheers.gif
The Standard Deviant
A bit like muscavado sugar.
Steve
I dug out my bottle last night. It's actually a 750 ml bottle, which only cost about 25 euros at LeClerc (sort of like a better version of WalMart) in Saumur. We drank part of it last year, and I sealed it back up with a Vacu-vin stopper. It's still good. I'll get it out again later today and try to write down some impressions. This bottle is a 1975, while the current release (from googling) seems to be the 1971.
Steve
The color is dark brown with no hint of red. It looks like espresso, or cola syrup or dark molasses. The nose reminds me of dried prunes, leather, chocolate. Swirled in the glass, it coats the sides. The taste is sweet but not sickly sweet (compared with something truly sickly sweet like amaretto or limoncello). It is very rich and "powerful" tasting. I can taste dried prunes, cherries, vanilla, leather, chocolate, brazil nuts, all very supple, mature, concentrated. A spectacular dessert wine, the best I've had. (We haven't had dinner yet so I'll be enjoying some more of this later. I just decanted a lovely 1994 "Four Kings" blend for dinner.)

IPB Image

Merry Christmas everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.