Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Take a trip...
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Provenance
...through the big bang.

Remember: In Planck time, no one has to say they're sorry.
The Standard Deviant
IPB Image
Jaded Prole
You mean the universe is more than 10,000 years old and wasn't created in seven days!?!?
traineraz
More like 7,500, and 6 days. 7th day was a day of rest.
Donnie Darko
I always knew the beginning of the universe was a cheesy shockwave flash animation.

I'm just honestly concerned that, if they are right, some scientist trying to recreate early universe conditions correctly in a particle accelerator is going to get one variable wrong and blow the entire universe to smithereens.
The Standard Deviant
Like thoughts of ‘what if I had never been born?’ it's not worth worrying about.
Wild Bill Turkey
So we're all living on one of the smithereens from the most recent experiment?
Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 22 2006, 04:22 PM) *

I'm just honestly concerned that, if they are right, some scientist trying to recreate early universe conditions correctly in a particle accelerator is going to get one variable wrong and blow the entire universe to smithereens.

The quantum teleportation is probably harmless. There was concern that a certain ion-smashing experiment could theoretically produce a tiny black hole. Apparently it won't and you shouldn't really let that sort of worry bother. Reality is just a probability cloud anyway so even if the universe is wiped out, it may be someone else's universe.
Kirk
I'm not worried about much, not even getting blown,
anymore
I'm blown enough
what worries me the most is;
you fuckers won't get to the real deal before I die.
Jaded Prole
Most won't.

I listened to a physicist on National Public Radio describe how humans could create a universe. It has to do with being able to compress matter enough to create a very small black hole -- microscopic really, about one third the width of an atom and about 10 lbs. Then he spoke of the observed property of gravity that causes things to expand away from each other being triggered. He thinks this may be possible in the future but it seems to me that creating one universe inside another would in fact blow this one to smithereens.

Not that that's ever stopped science before. I do think the creation of micro black holes could be a power source of great potential but also of obvious risk. However, the present order will collapse before science develops that far so drink up and appreciate the moment.
G&C
Weren't the Smithereens a '60's R&B Group?
sixela
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Dec 23 2006, 02:45 PM) *

Most won't.

I listened to a physicist on National Public Radio describe how humans could create a universe. It has to do with being able to compress matter enough to create a very small black hole -- microscopic really, about one third the width of an atom and about 10 lbs.

The trouble with them is that in this universe such small black holes evaporate quite quickly through Hawking radiation. They're really not as impressive as their larger brothers.

He thinks this may be possible in the future but it seems to me that creating one universe inside another would in fact blow this one to smithereens.

Not necessarily. There are, in fact, some kinds of black holes whose inside could be shielded from the rest of the universe around them but with all properties of a universe - for all we know we could even be living in one of them, albeit a very large one.
G&C
albeit a very large one.

From our perspective.
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 23 2006, 07:10 AM) *

Um, no.
Provenance
QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 22 2006, 11:08 PM) *

what worries me the most is;
you fuckers won't get to the real deal before I die.

Best you not die anytime soon.
Jaded Prole
He's doing his best to syay well preserved.
Absomphe
Yes, pickling is most effective.
Provenance
Laugh not. Or better, laugh much. True poets are hard to find. Poets who won't even acknowledge that they're poets are much more rare.
Adam-V
QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 24 2006, 01:10 AM) *

Nope, 80s alternative rock.
Jaded Prole
Kirk is a phenomenon to laugh with, not at and to be appreciated for his wisdom as well as his talent.
Kirk
Wisdom, hell, I'm just as dumb as the next guy.
I better pace myself tonight, I just drank some absinthe and realized; there's a lot to this stuff,
there really is something about it, an effect.
We are all artists here, some of us are more desperate, but we all feel the need.
I'm no poet, I'm brain damaged, I'm lucky I can think of my own name.
You guys have an effect, and that's what the secondaries of absinthe are all about.
Absomphe
Top o' the world, Jimmy! abs-cheers.gif
Le Gimp
My worst fear is that I'll be around long enough to see the world go to shit-in-a-hand-basket, and my kids will have to deal with it.
Kirk
Don't worry, that's always been the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.