Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Pernod varieties
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Tiburon
I throw away this same question (well part of it anyway) here that I posted in the louchelounge and in the same time break the ice here for myself wink.gif.

Hello you all! This is my first post in here but I`m not completely new to the world of absinthe since I have drinked it for few years now and read this forum for over a year or so. I have made my mistakes with some poor (or should I say crappy) “absinthes” (they`re not really worth of the name as you know) but quite soon, thanks to www and these forums moved to better ones (now I`m pretty much sticking with UE`s. I haven`t received my Fougerolles yet though…) Altough I`ve been around I´m still only in the beginning of the journey and have a great deal of respect to the knowledge of you guys (does that sound a bit cheesy? Well you got my point….I`m humble and come in peace wink.gif .)

There has been lot of talk about how Tarragona differs from pre-ban Pernod. But does anyone know how the recipe and/or manufacturing process of the mid 19th century Pernod differs from the Pernod of early 20th century? There must be somekind of differences because Ted Breaux when talking about his forthcoming absinthe brand (no need to mention the name wink.gif ) told that he will bring out four different varieties.

Quote:"Among the first slated for production are Absinthe Pontarlier, a reproduction of the very first commercially produced absinthe; Absinthe Edouard, a reproduction of Edouard Pernod, a classic brand from the turn of the century; Absinthe Nouvelle-Orleans, an adaptation of a brand popular in New Orleans; and Absinthe Gorgon, a unique absinthe Breaux crafted with the gothic crowd in mind."
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/2...over_story.html

Nevermind the last one but the three first ones speaks for differences made to the Pernod over the years. Does it?

Tiburon
BTW, I think the louchelounge is so out of control... Maybe it was mistake to post my question there in the first place. Altough I got some fine answers there, there seems to be lot of people who cant`t deal with a small history lesson... :/

Well this is out of topic now but I just couldn`t leave it alone... wink.gif
sixela
I'll also repost my question drowned in the louchedlounge thread:

What happened to the "Edouard Pernod" factories and companies?

I do know that the Edouard Pernod line (starting with the son of Henri-Louis, but not a descendant of Dubied) eventually had three factories (Couvet, Lunel, Pontarlier). The Lunel factory was taken over by a relative by marriage (Charles Gempp), and that became "Gempp-Pernod", and that the two other factories became "Edouard Pernod".

But unlike Pernod fils, I can't trace what became of the factories (for Pernod Fils: sold to Nestle) or the names (for Pernod Fils: ultimately picked up by the successors of the unrelated Jules Pernod, merged with Ricard, etc.).

Except for a very strange postcard from Oxygenee (the forum member) for Gempp-Pernod absinthe with the slogan "c'est ma sante", which sounds strangely familiar - but Oxygenee absinthe was made by Cusenier, was it not?

[On another note: the Cusenier name also seems to have ended up in the Evil^W Pernod-Ricard empire, but how?]
sixela
QUOTE (Tiburon @ Dec 18 2003, 02:14 PM)
BTW, I think the louchelounge is so out of control...

Should've known: there is an almost fanatical devotion to the -- uuhm, wrong line -- there is an almost fanatical dislike of verbose posts over there.

My fault, actually.
Tiburon
Yeah...Well after that I`ve learned my lesson. The reason I posted there in the first place was because I had to wait a bit longer here to get my account open.

Hmmm... I might as well post my question about Oxygenee here also to make some conversation =) .

Was the oxygenation of the vintage Oxygenee just a hoax or did it actually affect somehow to the final product? They claimed that it made it more healthier but that one I`m not buying. But did it actually affect the taste somehow?

BTW; from what I`ve read in the www.oxygenee.com`s ephemeras section Pernod also manufactured La Blanche aka white absinthe back in the days. What`s the story behind that? It even seems to be more expensive than the original green one? Still the green absinthe must have been more popular than the green one back in the old days wasn`t it?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (Tiburon @ Dec 18 2003, 04:14 AM)
BTW, I think the louchelounge is so out of control... Maybe it was mistake to post my question there in the first place. Altough I got some fine answers there, there seems to be lot of people who cant`t deal with a small history lesson... :/

We at the lounge can deal with a "history lesson" just fine. Just realize we're also a bunch of silly drunk motherfuckers and sometimes find it appropriate to make fun of long posts...which was compounded by Sixela's equally long post, so we just ran with it.
harhar.gif

But your question is interesting in terms of the history of various Pernod brands. If you can read French, I believe M. Claude Delahaye just released a book which answers many of your questions. I believe it's the history of each brand, Histoire des Marques or something like that...

Donnie Darko
QUOTE (Tiburon @ Dec 18 2003, 04:58 AM)
Was the oxygenation of the vintage Oxygenee just a hoax or did it actually affect somehow to the final product? They claimed that it made it more healthier but that one I`m not buying. But did it actually affect the taste somehow?

Oxygen exposure contributes to the ageing of an absinthe (actually oxygen exposure contributes to the ageing of EVERYTHING organic), and ageing, to a certain point, contributes to the flavour.

I know very little about Chemistry, but I believe it is the length of time of exposure to Oxygen that contributes to the flavour, as opposed to the volume of Oxygen exposure.

Oxygenees reason for pumping oxygen through their absinthe is silly, and makes no sense scientifically. And it's a physical impossibility that their absinthe would contain any more oxygen than any other absinthe at that % alcohol.
pierreverte
>Was the oxygenation of the vintage Oxygenee just a hoax or did it actually affect somehow to the final product? They claimed that it made it more healthier but that one I`m not buying. But did it actually affect the taste somehow?

'oxygenation' is probably related to 'micro-oxygenation' which is used with some success by wine-makers today:
the injection of oxygen into the final alcohol will theorectically speed-up the aging process, and thus make the product (in the case of wine - very tannic, tannat grape-based AOC madiran, especially) less tannic and more drinkable sooner. 'oxygenation' in absinthe could therefore theorectically speed up the aging and smooth out the 'still-shock' more quickly than a barrel or a large glass storage bottle. it was counter-advertisied against by other distilleries by claiming theirs were 'naturally aged', as 'oxygenation' was a product of the 'industrial age' and techniques, and thus poo-pooed by purists. i personally believe it did effect the taste, and most likely improved it.
it certaily couldn't make a 65°-75° alcohol 'more healthier', but it's good marketing to say so (and in the case of pernod-cusenier today, who use the term as a brand name and don't even use the process - i doubt they even know what it is or care) especially in the past when wine was considered a healthy food and not alcohol at all...
Maldoror
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 18 2003, 08:06 AM)

But your question is interesting in terms of the history of various Pernod brands.  If you can read French, I believe M. Claude Delahaye just released a book which answers many of your questions.  I believe it's the history of each brand, Histoire des Marques or something like that...

I think you mean Dictionnaire des marques. It´s a series of 4-5 books. At least the first part is out. About 350 pages covering brands from A to B. So, it might take a year or two before she reaches P...

Very interesting book! Lots of great colour photos and not that much text. Which is a good thing as my french is far from good...
crosby
QUOTE (Tiburon @ Dec 18 2003, 03:58 AM)
I throw away this same question (well part of it anyway) here that I posted in the louchelounge and in the same time break the ice here for myself wink.gif.

Hello you all! This is my first post in here but I`m not completely new to the world of absinthe since I have drinked it for few years now and read this forum for over a year or so. I have made my mistakes with some poor (or should I say crappy) “absinthes” (they`re not really worth of the name as you know) but quite soon, thanks to www and these forums moved to better ones (now I`m pretty much sticking with UE`s. I haven`t received my Fougerolles yet though…) Altough I`ve been around I´m still only in the beginning of the journey and have a great deal of respect to the knowledge of you guys (does that sound a bit cheesy? Well you got my point….I`m humble and come in peace wink.gif .)

There has been lot of talk about how Tarragona differs from pre-ban Pernod. But does anyone know how the recipe and/or manufacturing process of the mid 19th century Pernod differs from the Pernod of early 20th century? There must be somekind of differences because Ted Breaux when talking about his forthcoming absinthe brand (no need to mention the name wink.gif ) told that he will bring out four different varieties.

Quote:"Among the first slated for production are Absinthe Pontarlier, a reproduction of the very first commercially produced absinthe; Absinthe Edouard, a reproduction of Edouard Pernod, a classic brand from the turn of the century; Absinthe Nouvelle-Orleans, an adaptation of a brand popular in New Orleans; and Absinthe Gorgon, a unique absinthe Breaux crafted with the gothic crowd in mind."

Nevermind the last one but the three first ones speaks for differences made to the Pernod over the years. Does it?

Dunno.
crosby
QUOTE (Tiburon @ Dec 18 2003, 04:14 AM)

Ya think?
crosby
Sorry K, I couldn't resist.
sixela
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 18 2003, 06:06 PM)
We at the lounge can deal with a "history lesson" just fine. Just realize we're also a bunch of silly drunk motherfuckers

Oh really? yes.gif

But then, that's why I hang out there as well. [I did indicate my posts were out of character there, and belonged here, but then, a dogged refusal to observe unwritten rules is also quite appropriate on the louched lounge dev.gif - and we had fun with the Chrysler building and all that]
crosby
Fun is good. Drunken fun is good. bye1.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Tiburon @ Dec 18 2003, 06:58 AM)

headbonk.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 18 2003, 08:20 PM)

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
Lord Stanley

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
Lord Stanley

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 18 2003, 08:21 PM)

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
Lord Stanley

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
Lord Stanley

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 18 2003, 08:22 PM)

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif

OK, I'll stop now.

harhar.gif
Lord Stanley

headbonk.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif

OK, I'll stop now.

harhar.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif

Had to do one more.

w00t1.gif w00t2.gif
crosby
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 18 2003, 05:24 PM)

headbonk.gif

OK, I'll stop now.

harhar.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif

Had to do one more.

w00t1.gif w00t2.gif

harhar.gif
Tiburon
about louchelounge: Well maybe I overreacted... I know I`m not here (or there) to judge anyone or to tell what is fun and what is not...

OK, so now that oxygenation is starting to make a sense...

sixela
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 19 2003, 03:21 AM)
[SNIP]

I've got an eery sense of deja vu...

Oh no, not again... poster_spam.gif
Head_prosthesis
about louchelounge: Well maybe I overreacted...

Don't worry. The owners themselves refer to it as the "rumpus room" or Romper Room. I don't think there's any harm done.

Just put your beer goggles on before entering.
Absomphe
This dioesn't look like the Chrysler Building though...more like an anemic Yule tree!!
Head_prosthesis
It reminds me of Amway.
thegreenimp
QUOTE (Head_prosthesis @ Dec 19 2003, 10:11 AM)
Just put your beer goggles on before entering.

Better yet, put on your "William Holden Drinking Helmet" when entering the Lounge. cocktail2.gif
Conju
QUOTE (crosby @ Dec 18 2003, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 18 2003, 05:24 PM)

headbonk.gif

OK, I'll stop now.

harhar.gif

Had to do one more.

w00t1.gif w00t2.gif

harhar.gif

headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif
couldn't resist mate!
Absomphe
Conju: Get thee to a nunnery!!!
G&C
Quickley!! wacko.gif
Conju
wtf is a nunnerennennnenney?
Absomphe
Conju: Nunnery...it ain't no convent...Shakespearian for ...Whorehouse! hula-1.gif boobs.gif dildollblack.gif
sixela
QUOTE (conju @ Jan 1 2004, 12:20 AM)
wtf is a nunnerennennnenney?

Where impudent strumpets can be found harhar.gif
Absomphe
Ahhhh...nothing like a sassy harlot to make my blood boil!!! dev.gif
G&C
Indeed!
Absomphe
To impudent strumpets...and sassy harlots everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! boobs.gif hula-1.gif leglamp.gif LARS!.gif
G&C
INDEED!!
Absomphe
Green : Whoa...DOWN BOYO...show a bit of restraint...or you'll have be put in 'em!!!

Nah..that doesn't sound right...go rabidly into that good night!!!!! dev.gif dev.gif dev.gif
Conju
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Jan 2 2004, 11:38 PM)
To impudent strumpets...and sassy harlots everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! boobs.gif hula-1.gif leglamp.gif LARS!.gif

I'll Drink to that!
kingdubhda
Me too!
Eire
We've got Joe's Chicken Shack as our modern nunnery here, a 50:50 chance you'll end up with herpes and one less kidney
Conju
Those are Indeed tough odds.
Absomphe
Eire:

I'll see your herpes and 1 kidney,

And I'll raise you syphillis, and a Louched Liver.

Call. dev.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.