Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone tried the Perique Liqueur de Tabac yet ?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Pages: 1, 2
Marc
Perique

Just curious...
Donniej
Freakish! It sounds like it has a lot of potential, both good and bad. I'll be anxious to hear some reviews myself abs-cheers.gif
Dpanice
What I really want to know...

...Did Ted have to put one of these on the label?!?

IPB Image
Jaded Prole
It doesn't appeal to me but I'd like to try the Elixir de Combier.
The Standard Deviant
You're meant to smoke the perique liqueur?
Wild Bill Turkey
I've often thought that there were some great-smelling tobaccos out there, and that I wished there was a way to enjoy that as a taste without smoking it or, worse, chewing on it. Ted's post over at the WS indictaes that was his goal with this.

I'm just waiting on the monkeys, now.
crosby
Quitting smoking was a bitch, so I'll pass on this one.
Zman
You actually quit? Congrats. We'll have to have a drink or five to celebrate.
hartsmar
The Perique is nice. It's not what you expect when you first hear about it, really. It's tasty.
crosby
QUOTE(Zman @ Jan 6 2007, 03:46 PM) *

You actually quit? Congrats. We'll have to have a drink or five to celebrate.

Nine months! I'm definitely up for the drinks.
G&C
I'm horning in.

When?
crosby
Hopefully soon. I'm cumming up on my slow time of year.
Provenance
I'm always looking for new vices, I should give it a try.
strangeloop
So does anyone know if there's a nicotene component to this beverage?
tabreaux
As far as we can tell with our present testing, the finished product is free of nicotine.
Provenance
I'll drink it anyway.
G&C
So does anyone know if there's a nicotene component to this beverage?

That's what cigars are for.
Dpanice
QUOTE(tabreaux @ Jan 8 2007, 04:56 PM) *

As far as we can tell with our present testing, the finished product is free of nicotine.

So, no Jade Perique smoking cessation program, huh?
speedle
I'm always looking for new vices, I should give it a try.

Yup! And it's cheap, too. Well, for Jade anyway.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Dpanice @ Jan 8 2007, 08:36 PM) *

So, no Jade Perique smoking cessation program, huh?

Not unless it tastes burnt™.
thegreenimp
It doesn't taste burnt™

The Perique tastes quite nice, I had a sample in New Orleans this summer, it's a very delicate tasting liqueur.
Bertie Wooster would have liked it at The Drones Club™
Jaded Prole
Would probably go well with a fine cigar.
Absomphe
Dunhill Esplendido.
KillDarr
Will this be available in the States or online ordering only?
whizz
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Jan 9 2007, 10:29 PM) *

Would probably go well with a fine cigar.

Which is easily and lawfully accessible where I live. offtopic2.gif
Cohibas are IMO somewhat hyped regarding quality though. Many Honduran and Dominican cigars are equal or better even if they are different in taste than the Cuban cousins. Carlos Torano Signature for instance...
tongue.gif
Provenance
KillDarr,

Right now Perique is available only through LdF. It is very unlikely that it will ever be available at your local liquor store.
KillDarr
Thanks Provenance. This is one I would like to try but not enough to order a whole bottle. I really don't want to pay for shipping for something I'm not sure about.
Wild Bill Turkey
Perique

Reviewed by Wild Bill Turkey 1/22/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Beautiful butterscotch amber, beyond fueille morte. Clear w/no sediment

LOUCHE ACTION 1/10
Terrible. A few oil trails at first, but no buildup of any kind of louche at all. Maybe they should have left the "e" off of the end of Perique.

COLOR AFTER WATER 2/10
Thin and watery. Just awful.

AROMA 7/30
Thin and watery. Smelled absolutely fantastic before louching.

MOUTH-FEEL 2/10
Thin and watery.

TASTE 4/20
Thin and watery. But still too sweet. Next time, I'm leaving the sugar off the spoon.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
The absence of star anise , or any anise oil at all, makes the louche way too thin. I tasted this one neat after the review, and it was much better that way. Lots of deep, satisfying and rich flavors came out. In fact, taken neat, this is one of the most intriguingly different and yet instantly comfortable and delicious liqueurs I've ever had.

Wild Bill Turkey scores Perrique 32 out of 100
Absomphe
HA!
TommyGun
I was wondering if some people that bought this Perique could post their opinions. Thinking of buying some. Is it a high-quality, good tasting Liquer? Overly sweet? Overly tobacco tasting? I heard it tastes the way that Perique smells - if so, I'd love to try some. Is it clear? Brown tint? Thank you.
Provenance
Um. Try reading two posts above your question.
crosby
No reason to bully the poor guy. harhar.gif
Absomphe
Other than his name, you mean.
Wild Bill Turkey
It doesn't have an overwhelming tobacco taste at all. The tobacco is one tone in a muted, sweet wooded liqueur. It's very good, and if you gave it to a group of people and said nothing about it, I think only one or two might mention tobacco in the first few sips. ( if they were crazy enough to guess such a thing when tasting a liqueur )

But Cros, in all honesty, I'd say that as someone still fighting cravings to smoke, you might have made the right decision to pass on this. The tobacco comes in as a lingering aftertaste. Not that it leaves your mouth feeling like you've smoked a cigarette, but more like the lingering best taste of the tobacco, and a faint familiar feeling, as if you'd recently smoked. I could see it making me want to smoke if I were still actively fighting cravings.
crosby
I’m not actively fighting cravings. It’s been ten months, so that part is long over. I think it might reopen the issue though, which is why I don’t have an occasional cigar. Better to just be done with it after all these years.
The Standard Deviant
That's the spirit.
ubu
I think the Perique is fantastic. To me, the beginning of the sip tastes a lot like a good cognac. Then the tobacco leaf taste arrives, which isn't dissimilar to the taste of tea to my inexperienced palate. The aftertaste is the best thing about it.
Marc
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jan 22 2007, 11:39 PM) *

Perique

Reviewed by Wild Bill Turkey 1/22/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10

LOUCHE ACTION 1/10
Terrible. A few oil trails at first, but no buildup of any kind of louche at all. Maybe they should have left the "e" off of the end of Perique.

COLOR AFTER WATER 2/10
Thin and watery. Just awful.

AROMA 7/30
Thin and watery. Smelled absolutely fantastic before louching.

MOUTH-FEEL 2/10
Thin and watery.

TASTE 4/20
Thin and watery. But still too sweet. Next time, I'm leaving the sugar off the spoon.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
The absence of star anise , or any anise oil at all, makes the louche way too thin. I tasted this one neat after the review, and it was much better that way. Lots of deep, satisfying and rich flavors came out. In fact, taken neat, this is one of the most intriguingly different and yet instantly comfortable and delicious liqueurs I've ever had.

Wild Bill Turkey scores Perrique 32 out of 100

groupwave reversed.gif
TommyGun
Why would you post an obvious joke review? How does that help?
Steyr850
My guess, to elicit that kind of response.
Steve

Smelled absolutely fantastic

I tasted this one neat... Lots of deep, satisfying and rich flavors came out. In fact, taken neat, this is one of the most intriguingly different and yet instantly comfortable and delicious liqueurs I've ever had.

What joke?
Absomphe
QUOTE(TommyGun @ Feb 1 2007, 01:07 PM) *

Why would you post an obvious joke review?

Let's play name that irony, Mr. Gun. blink.gif
Bruno Rygseck
I posted a couple of reviews about liquids that are bad jokes themselves.
wooperman
So to the people who really liked it...is it worth buying over absinthe? I am thinking of getting one of those in an absinthe order of a few bottles, but due to funds, it's either Perique or another bottle of absinthe. I know it's opinion, but I'll take it.
Other liquors I enjoy are scotch (rusty nails), and high-end tequilas (sipped straight).
So this seems like it might be fun to sip after dinner. The price and added shipping are holding me back.
Alyssa Dyane
My Perique order arrived Friday evening. I have only tasted a small glass - but I and the roomies LOVED it. It is very interesting. It is smooth, and orangey, and vanilla-like, and tobacco in the after-taste. Not in a bad way. I will definately order more. I just wish it came in a big liter bottle. I have feeling it is going to go quickly in my house.
TommyGun
What I noticed was more of a tea quality to the flavor. It was sweet at first then the tea taste completely takes over. Interesting. I guess I had a stronger flavor in mind.
Oxygenee
There should be an article out in the April issue of Gourmet on the Perique.

In the meantime, there's a well written two-part review here:

The Preface:
http://www.slashfood.com/2007/01/09/perique-tobacco-liqueur/

and

The Review:
http://www.slashfood.com/2007/03/01/liqueu...queur-de-tabac/

hartsmar
Spot on! It's mighty tasty!
Steve
I tried it for the first time last night and thought it was really wonderful. It was also an ingredient in a couple of the dishes we had. The tabac bbq chicken was delicious, and I think it was in the tart as well.
crosby
Who are you calling a tart?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.