Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duplais Balance
The Fťe Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
hartsmar
AVERAGE SCORE 80

Reviewed by Donnie Darko 1/19/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Beautiful luminous peridot that is free from debris. Flawless. I have no idea if it is natural or not, given the low-ish alcohol content (60%), but it looks ideal.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
It fogs up uniformly as opposed to possessing the entrancing layering effect seen in some absinthes, but it louches well enough.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
More green post-louche than is typical of many absinthes. Quite pretty.

AROMA 26/30
Clean and flowery with a lot of coriander, but clean coriander, not stinky or soapy smelling coriander. Very little alcohol heat, in fact it smells more "cool" than "hot". Usually coriander smells somewhere in between sharp and toasty. This smells more like soft smoke supported by rich fruit. No other absinthe smells anything like this one. The only critique is the aroma stays in the glass, it doesn't fill the room.

MOUTH-FEEL 9/10
Smoothe satin, with a delicate balance between sweet and dry.

TASTE 17/20
This absinthe is all about the Coriander. It's powerful, but finessed surprisingly well with decent fennel and a fruity wormwood you don't notice until the end. The taste is not seamless by a long shot, nor is it similar to traditional vintage absinthe. This is a modern reinterpretation of absinthe, with an entirely unique and surprising taste. Perhaps what makes it impressive is the dichotomy between the smoky coriander in the beginning and the fruity persistent aftertaste. In a word, complex. The Yin-Yang symbol on the label makes a lot of sense when you taste it. Where something like Pernod Fils is one seamless shade of rich grey, this is black on one side, white on the other, but each side has a bit of the other that pokes through.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10
This is a well crafted absinthe. It's clean. It's fruity. It's floral AND it's smoky. It's entirely original and memorable. The colour is so pretty I'm not positive that it's entirely natural, but it looks similar enough to Jade Edouard to give it the benefit of the doubt. The one peculiar thing about it is the alcohol content, which is only 60%, weaker than other quality Vertes. I think a boost in the the alcohol content might concentrate the herbal aromas a little more, and thicken up the taste a little, but that's the only thing I can find wrong with it. I'm impressed.

PERSONAL NOTES
The artwork by Peter Christopherson (the bandmate/partner of the late Coil frontman John Balance) is distinctive. It features a robed electrified Eraserhead-baby looking character on what appears to be a throne, and to his right is a radio tower with a yin-yang symbol.

Donnie Darko scores Absinthe Duplais Balance 88 out of 100

Reviewed by Hartsmar 1/20/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
A wonderful green. Absolutely stunning with no flaws to be found.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
Very nice and makes a thick fine louche.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
It keeps its green color in the louche but without being unnaturally neon green. I would have expected it to turn a bit more white but it's very nice.

AROMA 27/30
An excellent aroma. The lower alcohol level keeps most of the alcohol bite away and lets the aroma bloom in full.
Nice touch of coriander mixed with fine wormwood.

MOUTH-FEEL 8/10
Really smooth and actually quite creamy even though the main character of the drink isn't really thick or creamy at all but rather clean and... balanced.

TASTE 17/20
Super nice. Wormwood and fennel is definitely noticeable, but only after you let the coriander sink in. Just as Donnie wrote. There's not reason for me to explain it again. Donnie said the perfect words for it.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10
A very good absinthe indeed. The price range makes it a very attractive absinthe and is sure to be a success and a good one for newcomers to absinthe.
Personally I consider this a great "everyday" absinthe. Something that goes pretty well at most any occassion...

Hartsmar scores Absinthe Duplais Balance 87 out of 100

Reviewed by jmark 4/5/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Perfect. Bright. Green. Clear.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Late start, but what look like fairly weak tendrils add up to a pretty strong louche. This is certainly opalescent. Edges show multiple colors: blues, oranges, yellows, greens.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
Nice opacity, lots of color play around the edges of the green-yellow body of the drink. Could be a tinge thicker?

AROMA 25/30
Before water: complex, not too much alcohol. a little bit of an aroma like steaming artichokes, though its a clean scent. Coriander? Very similar scent to the blanche, as if the coloring herbs were chosen to make as little impact on scent/taste as possible.

After water: similar to pre-water, anise steps forward a bit. light, herbal, pleasant but a lot going on at the same time. A lot of aroma disappears with the watering and doesn't really creep from the glass as is ideal for me, though it's one of the more interesting aromas I've encountered.

MOUTH-FEEL 8/10
Very creamy. Near-perfect but for some early numbing. Strange, because the star anise certainly doesn't sit forward in the flavors.

TASTE 18/20
A wonderful bitter end (and long-lasting) and LOTS of complexity in the flavor. A real puzzle. The wormwood is delicious and fresh.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
It's really good. If there's any criticism I think that the complexity of it would take it out of the running for something I would drink on a regular basis. It's a special occasion absinthe. Also, the tongue-numbing is pretty intense at the end of a glass. My tongue almost hurts right now.

jmark scores Duplis Balance 87 out of 100

Reviewed by peridot 4/12/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Bright, clean green. Natural, haze-free, and no sediment. So nice it almost seems like it can't be natural. Almost.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Very gorgeous. Remains three-tiered with sharply defined solid louche at the bottom, partial louche in the middle, and clear absinthe at the top for most of the process, then quickly blends all together. Dripping water scatters like droplets of white blood. My only issue is that it's a tad too fast.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
About as close to perfect as I've seen. Beautiful jade. Very thick and complex but not opaque.

AROMA 23/30
Before water the aroma is fairly light. It's somewhat honeyed with noticeable coriander and some minty wormwood. Anise is hidden. Water unlocks a lot more anise and the wormwood becomes much stronger. The aroma grows quite a bit as water is added but doesn't quite fill the room.

MOUTH-FEEL 9/10
Very rich and velvety. Not numbing at all.

TASTE 19/20
First thing I taste is a good bit of wormwood, again more minty than floral, supported by anise and fennel in a slightly sweet, fruity blend. Coriander is strong. There's some noticeable citrus going on. The slightly bitter finish begins with that citrus, then shifts to fennel, and ends with a hint of wormwood.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10
An outstanding commercial verte, especially for its price range.

peridot scores Duplais Balance 88 out of 100

Reviewed by Wilson 2/29/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Beautiful peridot green. Not as dark as some, but absolutely clean and clear. I can't see how any absinthe can be better. Perfection.

LOUCHE ACTION 10/10
Perfect louche action. The green fairy dances and then she gives me nice layers and swirls of clouds. Very opaque and thickSome say it starts too quick, but at 60% abv, it has to. It is the alcohol that keeps the oils in suspension, so 60 will start to louche before 70 will.

COLOR AFTER WATER 10/10
I was pleased with the amount of color it held after the louche. I expected it to be white or very pale green, but it still had a beautiful green opalescence.

AROMA 27/30
Smells like fresh cut hay on the first sniff of the bottle. Reminded me of the Brevans and gave me the same memory flash. Second sniff brought the wormwood to the front.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
Nice and thick and creamy. Finishes clean. Some tongue numbing but just slightly. Good wormwood bite. More bite than some may like, but I find it nice. No alcohol bite.

TASTE 18/20
More complex than the Duplais Verte. A taste of anise in the very beginning, then lot's of coriander and a bunch of wormwood. Finishes off with a peppery/fruity aftertaste and no alcohol heat. It's still 120 proof, but you would never know it.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10
I love it. This is wonderful stuff. The price has nothing to do with the score I give this absinthe, but I can't believe it is so much cheaper than everything that is nearly as good. What a bargain. You can't go wrong with this one.

I am just hoping that we can get this in the U.S. soon. If we had to limit our selection to one, this would suffice.

Wilson scores Duplais Balance 91 out of 100

Reviewed by OCvertDe 3/17/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Beautiful. Bright, clear, Peridot Green. Borderline natural, but not so questionable that I would call it a flaw. Iím giving it an 8 simply to leave room at the top for something else to wow me a lot more, which at this point I still feel is probable.
If this looks familiar, itís exactly what I said about the Brevans.

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
Turbulent oil trails immediately, with a thin cloud of louche that starts at the bottom and works itís way to the top with nice layers. Fully opaque not long past 1:1. could be slower, but nicely done.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
Also word for word from my score of Brevans: unquestionable green, pearly opaque with very nice shading in the sunlight. Lots of depth and character. This is a presentation that will definitely elicit curiosity from the uninitiated when they see it.
I would only mention that the Balance is perhaps a shade or two lighter, but all in all youíd be hard pressed to tell them apart unless they were side by side.

AROMA 26/30
Upon cracking the seal, Balance had the same faint trace of indescribable funk that Iíve noticed in other Swiss absinthes; but given a couple weeks to breathe it cleared up nicely, for the most part. Whatís left is a nicely balanced spicy herbal aroma that isnít especially complex, but better than most and quite appealing.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
I little thin, but smooth and pleasant. Light creaminess and gentle tongue numbing sensation that holds for minutes after the last sip. Not my favorite, but enjoyable.

TASTE 16/20
Good. Light, somewhat thin, lacking the body of many of itís contemporaries. By no means bad, just different. I like it. Itís not really as in your face as I prefer, but worth trying. Iíll probably continue buying the Absinthe Duplais Verte instead, but if I hadnít tried that then Balance would definitely be a repeat order for me.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
I like this, and thereís nothing wrong with it, but for the same money Iíd rather drink Brevans or Duplais Verte. This is a well crafted, well balanced absinthe; and as far as Iím concerned itís only failing is that itís a little too unoffensive. This is by no means meant to imply mediocrity, only that those who donít want an absinthe that will really shock the taste buds may find Balance is just the ticket.

OCvertDe scores Duplais Balance 80 out of 100

Reviewed by absinthist 3/29/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 2/10
Too green to be natural, and it stays for too long. I am too traditional in that facet, but I would like feuille morte after so much time.

LOUCHE ACTION 10/10
Typical of Duplais range. Here, no flaws, so I will be generous.

COLOR AFTER WATER 5/10
Greenish, nice looking, but lacks yellowishness and creaminess.

AROMA 17/30
Coriander and anise, too much of both. There is wormwood, but too discrete to be there in its glory.

MOUTH-FEEL 4/10
Sweetish, coriander is overwhelming, even if first taken neat.

TASTE 10/20
Coriander, coriander, lack of complexity and wormwood is treated as if the least important; very much in the back.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 4/10
Other products from Duplais range are definitely better in terms of wormwoodiness, creaminess and herbacousness.

absinthist scores Duplais Balance 52 out of 100

Reviewed by bob_chong 9/16/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Itís green. Looks inviting.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
Swirly, louchey, nice.

COLOR AFTER WATER 10/10
Green with slight yellow opalescence. Pretty.

AROMA 25/30
Herbal, flowery. I love the sweetness of the coriander.

MOUTH-FEEL 8/10
Creamy, rich, rolls over the tongue.

TASTE 17/20
Of the COs available, this is a good one. Lots of wormwood. The fennel and coriander notes are great.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10
This is absinthe. Others have commented on the price, yet this is competitive at just about any price point for COs today. There may be a next tier in price, but it is arguable if there is a next tier up in quality. Want a great absinthe? Drink this. And be happy that it didnít cost an arm and a leg.

bob_chong scores Duplais Balance 87 out of 100

Reviewed by Wolfgang 11/17/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 7/10
Light olive green. Lack some vibrancy to it. Itís clear, doesnít look bad but I donít understand why people gave it a 10 as thereís nothing special to it to deserve an exceptional rating. Nice, ok but no more. Of course maybe this is due to premature aging thanks to the ďlowĒ 60% alcohol as it is probably about 7 months old now.

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
Nice thick but fast louche.

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
It was probably beautiful right out of the still but now it turns in a slightly muddy shade of green. It is not horrible but not very appealing.

AROMA 20/30
Neat: If I get past the raw alcohol base, what dominates this absinthe is coriander.
Louched : It gains points for the interesting notes of coriander but it lacks power. It is far from room filling. A bit shy I would say.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
Nice at low dilution but if you try to go up to 4:1, it gets thin and leaves a metallic impression at the back of your mouth (which I penalised in the taste).

TASTE 10/20
I just canít stand the taste of raw alcohol. I know Iím very picky on the base alcohol in absinthe but it is for me almost more important than anything else. I like it when itís smooth and blends well with the other aromas. This one doesnít meet these standards. It still gets some points for achieving such a thick louche without completely numbing your tongue.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 5/10
Why they are bottling this verte at 60% and their blanche at 72% is beyond me. Iím even tempted to measure it myself just to make sure itís not a mistake on the labels! Given the high rating I saw when it came out and the less than perfect ratings coming out now, Iím afraid this absinthe doesnít age very well. The less than perfect alcohol base and quite dull overall balance leaves me bored to say the least. Finally, I think I prefer the Duplais Blanche, at least the blanche is not shy. At a rating of 63%, it passes but barely. It will be useful at the end of parties when nobody notice the quality anyway (I donít go as low as the non-distilled kind of absinthe anymore).

Wolfgang scores Duplais Balance 63 out of 100

Reviewed by Brunswick Green 12/18/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Very bright and clear green but still natural.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
Sweet oily swirls. lava lamp-style

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
Quite opaque, the typical yellow center, blue at the edges.

AROMA 22/30
Room-filling lemon over discrete wormwood. Nice and herby.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
You don't really notice it much. It's clean and I like it.

TASTE 16/20
Mostly subtle wormwood and anise. Right amount of water is key, it can easily be too strong or too weak. Sugar takes the edge off the alcohol bite.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
As a huge (HUGE!) fan of Coil, I know how nasty they are about their limited releases and shit. So I expect the insanely limited box this bottle also came in is just a load of toss designed not even to make money but rather take the piss out of us all. Well, this is about alcohol, and you can buy it w/o the bullshit arty thang. Balanced it is. With just a little bit of sugar, it reminds me of Jade esprit edouard, that can't be a bad thing.

Brunswick Green scores Duplais Balance 75/100
hartsmar
Updated...
DrDemento
My review on Duplais Balance

Duplais Balance

One of the best Swiss Absinthe with a cool label

Reviewed by DrDemento 4/6/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Nice Dark Green (VERTE) color that is natural. As Absinthe their should be no debris

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
I guess it fogs well but not as well as the jade I tried

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
Milky white that is unusally more green than expected

AROMA 25/30
This is where the duplais shines because at first I got a hint of alcohol, then floral, then the anise smell arises. Definitely remember able. But this is where Donnie Darko the reviewer from 1/19/2007 begins to sounds like he's on crack (or possibly dementia?) because he talks of it smelling "more cool than hot" and "not stinky or soapy" He also talks about "smells somewhere in between sharp and toasty" and "smells more like soft smoke supported by rich fruit" I don't know if he got a better bottle than me, because I recieved mine from Lion Absinthe Distribution, which is the only site that has it, but it seems the same. I have no idea how much absinthe Donnie Darko has been drinking but I detected no "fruit" or "smoke" smell in my batch. Who knows? Maybe they just got sloppy making mine...

MOUTH-FEEL 4/10
If you can actually drink this and not puke then you are more of an alcoholic than I. I believe it's caused by the drink being a Bitterspirituose, which is 35 mg of chop.gif, and I guess it's way too much compaired to Jade (which has 10) because it almost makes it undrinkable. Definitely hurts to actually keep it down...

TASTE 13/20
I give it a 13/20 on taste, mostly because I didn't expect it to taste good in the first place, but dear god it's pretty bad. No "smoke" or "fruit" taste. Period. But this is kind of what you would expect from absinthe (compaired to jade which is not perfect either). Anyway as stated before the high chop.gif count makes it taste unually bitter and the anise is somewhat overpowering instead of being a "balance"

OVERALL IMPRESSION 6/10
Being the first absinthe I ever tried I had higher expections for it I guess but it really is a let down, mostly because I was hoping that compaired to the Jade, this would taste a lot better. But I guess using the review of a crazy person (or maybe old reviews of a better batch) was kind of a let down, but if I did get a bad batch shame on Duplais for lowering their standards! Unless someone else comes along with a better review, I would skip buying this brand alltogether. The art was really cool on the bottle though, so their is that I guess...

PERSONAL NOTES
I was able to choke down 4 shots of this garbage before I got mildly queasy and had to stop. But what is truly horrifying, is that their are worse absinthes on the market! I should have went with a Clandestine La Bleue...

DrDemento scores Duplais Balance 71 out of 100
Donnie Darko
You're supposed to light it on fire before you shoot it! That's where you smell the "somewhere in between sharp and toasty" smell.
peridot
IPB Image
hartsmar
I think DrDemento needs to introduce himself and then have another go at the Balance. There's a lot of talk about thujone and bitterness here... Dr... O?
sixela
QUOTE(DrDemento @ Apr 12 2007, 02:44 AM) *

But this is where Donnie Darko the reviewer from 1/19/2007 begins to sounds like he's on crack (or possibly dementia?)

He's not demented, and my experience with the Duplais is very like his. I guess the whole world is demented and you're the only genius, right?

MOUTH-FEEL 4/10
If you can actually drink this and not puke then you are more of an alcoholic than I. I believe it's caused by the drink being a Bitterspirituose, which is 35 mg of chop.gif, and I guess it's way too much compaired to Jade (which has 10) because it almost makes it undrinkable. Definitely hurts to actually keep it down...

blink.gif

What exactly do you understand by mouthfeel? You did dilute it before drinking it, did you not?

Your theory about chop.gif influencing the mouthfeel is unsubstantiated and not likely to be true (to put it mildly).

Anyway as stated before the high chop.gif count makes it taste unually bitter

chop.gif isn't bitter. Absinthine is, but there is very little in the balance - just a lovely very fragrant finish and actually so little bitterness I find it positively feminine.

But I guess using the review of a crazy person (or maybe old reviews of a better batch)

Donnie Darko is far from crazy. If anyone is, you are for being so needlessly rude and judgemental.

I was able to choke down 4 shots of this garbage

King of Spirits is garbage. This isn't, and the word is uncalled for.

I should have went with a Clandestine La Bleue...

You should have learnt how to decline verbs.
G&C
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

If he think it's garbage, then to him it is.

End of Story.
sixela
QUOTE(G&C @ Apr 12 2007, 02:55 PM) *

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Yes. And if he writes that word in a review, then he should substantiate it. It's a review, not a soap box.

absinthist
Bitterspirituose (bitters or amer as well) means that it might contain from 11 mg/l to 35 mg/l and "35" while discussing Balance (which is a nice one) is not definitive in that particular case.
Provenance
How do you substantiate an opinion?
G&C
Impossible.

But you can't tell that to a Borg apparently.
eric
Bright, clean green. Natural, haze-free, and no sediment. So nice it almost seems like it can't be natural. Almost.

It is funny that you would say that.

Joalco brought a bottle of the Balance over here a while back. He said that the color looked artificial or possibly natural w/ added artificial coloring.

Has any one else noticed this?

Wild Bill Turkey
Nah. It does have a really nice color, one of the nicest. But it doesn't look at all out of the range of honest natural colors, it just tends more towards the cool blue end of the green spectrum, like the Montmartre does. More of a coke-bottle green than an olive color. But I've read that others have seen their bottles turning brown already.

I can't keep it around long enough to see that happen.
grey boy
Could be that they're bottled (edit: and shipped) right after coloring.
I've seen absinthes look nuclear green just after coloring
then turn brown in a very short period of time.
Absomphe
That was certainly my experience with version one of Duplais (not Balance).
sixela
QUOTE(G&C @ Apr 13 2007, 01:45 AM) *

Impossible.

But you can't tell that to a Borg apparently.

Nope. You cannot usually prove an opinion is right, but at least you can tell how you arrived at it.
G&C
Nope.

Don't have to 'splain nuthin'.
Steyr850
I've always thought it looked slightly manipulated somehow. Not necessarily colored, but more like something was done to push it into, and maintain its brilliance. It is a beautiful color though, which holds well into the louche, ending minty-white. Never really gets custardy like some of the more olive shaded vertes. Definitely more akin to the Monty in that respect.

Although not as clear or bright, the P31 gives a better representation of what "natural" looks like to my eye. Similar hue, but not as densely green. I've been playing around with blending the two, and at equal parts, have ended up with an awesome color and a spicier taste.

BTW, the Balance does seem to resist browning more so than others. I've had 3 bottles and all have been slow, if not totaly resistant to changing.
fryke
They put a lot of thinkin' into that colour (the Balance's) in order to make it "stick" at 60į, but I seriously doubt there's anything artificial about it. They'd have to mention it on the label. So simply enjoy the brilliance. :)
sixela
QUOTE(G&C @ Apr 13 2007, 03:01 PM) *

Nope.

Don't have to 'splain nuthin'.

Of course you don't have to do anything. But then, I don't have to find anyone's opinion interesting either, and the manner in which someone expresses an opinion will have an impact on how I perceive it.
Artemis
Thinking will not hold chlorophyll in suspension in less than 70% alcohol.

Even 70% alcohol will not hold it forever, and sometimes not even for days.

If they "put something" into the stuff to make it stay green at 60%, that's another story, but what they put was not thought.
G&C
We have found
agreeable ground.

Steyr850
To reiterate, what they said.
Wild Bill Turkey
LARS!.gif Now available in litre bottles LARS!.gif
Provenance
Something else not to buy.
Wild Bill Turkey
Just wanted to make sure everybody still knows you don't like the Duplais products?
Provenance
I don't even dislike them. They are just overrated, not bad.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 26 2007, 02:46 PM) *

Something else not to buy.

What he said.

Onacuz I'm into beer eating, lately, not disparaging the Duplais.
Alice the absinthe eater
what beers have you been eating? offtopic2.gif
Absomphe
I'm an Imperial Stout fan, and I've been gorging on Deschute's The Abyss, and Bell's Expedition.

Flyer's Brewery in Oak Harbor has come out with a remarkable strong Scotch ale this year called 140 Schilling, as well, so I've been a reasonably contented glutton, of late.
Steyr850
You mean gloatin'.
Absomphe
That's a verb, not a noun, butt, yes.
Jaded Prole
More like a gloatin' glutton.
Steyr850
Gloatin'-er

Gloatin'-Goat
Absomphe
Ding ding ding!

That last one was a winner!
Provenance
If you're eating '96 Stille Nacht, now that would be a real winner.
Absomphe
I ate more than case of that nectar while I had the chance, so even though it's all gone now, I certainly can't complain about my good fortune.
G&C
I've got one left.
evill.gif
Absomphe
Onacuz you're a far more disciplined curmudgeon than I. worshippy.gif
G&C
It's sometimes hard to eat the last of the best.

Specially if'n it's gettin' better along the wait.
Alice the absinthe eater
beer does not better better with age though. Infact it can go bad even in the bottle.
Absomphe
Stop drinking Bud, doofus. Some lambics continue to improve with age up to fifty years.

I recently drank a bottle of 1985 Saison Pipaix, and it was sublime.
G&C
Everyone's an asspurt, eh?
Absomphe
Or assport.

Ya sure, you betcha, by golly!
Alice the absinthe eater
seeing as I am not a redneck or dumb american(just a less-dumb american) I do not drink beer that has rice shit in it

but I thought the point of beer was to be fresh?

I mean if you only use the four ingredients that the Reinheitsgebot states. I don't understand how it could age in any good way.
grey boy
You haven't seen my basement.
G&C
Or Jack's storeroom.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Alice the absinthe eater @ Apr 27 2007, 09:25 PM) *

I mean if you only use the four ingredients that the Reinheitsgebot states...

Hello, and welcome to the new millennium.

German beer is, for the most part, boring precisely because of their anal Reinheitsgebot...it's about ales, my friend, the glorious, endlessly creative and fascinating world of ales, porters, stouts, lambics, saisons, wood aged sour beers (in fact, wood aged all kinds of beers, etc, etc, etc., many of which contain all sorts of intriguing natural additives, from spices, and herbs to demarara sugars, to seaweed. Some of these make very tasty flavor enhancers, and sometimes they miss the mark, but it's all about creativity...put that in your Reinheitsgebot, and smoke it, Alice. evill.gif
Absomphe
QUOTE(grey boy @ Apr 27 2007, 09:44 PM) *

You haven't seen my basement.

But Lord Stanley has, which is why I now fear, envy, and loathe him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.