Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extrait d'Absinthe E.Albado, Habana circa 1930
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide
Head_prosthesis
From Oxygenee.com:
The first bottle ever discovered of vintage Cuban absinthe.
Pre-Castro Cuba had a considerable history of absinthe production - Hemingway drank it there, and used to stock up on his frequent marlin-fishing trips to the island, where he later bought a house. This bottle, produced by the Aldabo Distillery (also known as a rum and curacao producer) appears to be a good quality, naturally coloured absinthe, and likely dates from the mid 1930's. It's in overall excellent condition. This is a unique and almost certainly unrepeatable opportunity to taste an absinthe of the greatest historical interest and romance, most likely the exact product that gave rise to the famous 1931 Hemingway quote: “Got tight last night on absinthe and did knife tricks. Great success shooting the knife underhand into the piano."

AVERAGE SCORE 40

Reviewed by Crosby & Head Prosthesis 1/20/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 6/10
Citrus yellow/green

LOUCHE ACTION 4/10
Very thin.

COLOR AFTER WATER 6/10
Looks like mountain dew.

AROMA 10/30
Slight smell like curry.

MOUTH-FEEL 4/10
Thin & Watery

TASTE 7/20
Dr. O-Sinthe. Very bitter. Definately colored with A. A.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 3/10
Nver had to sink vintage before. Pretty fuckin' nasty.

Crosby & Head Prosthesis scores E. Albado, Habana 40 out of 100

Reviewed by Hartsmar 7/28/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 6/10
A little too yellow to be really good but it's clear with no sediment...

LOUCHE ACTION 2/10
Close to nothing.

COLOR AFTER WATER 2/10
Pale yellowish brown still close to transparent. Reminds a bit of Ancora in character.

AROMA 12/30
Citrusy coriander and a distinct alcohol smell. It flattenst when water is added.

MOUTH-FEEL 4/10
Flat and uninteresting.

TASTE 8/20
Not complex at all. Very citrusy and with a distinct bitter dry finish that stays for a long time.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 5/10
I am sorry to say that I too sinked this. It's interesting only for being pre-war Cuban absinthe. It starts out mediocre and ends up way less.

Hartsmar scores Extrait d'absinthe E. Aldabó, Habana, circa 1930 39 out of 100
crosby
I wish I would have got a photo of it eating through the porcelain of Head's kitchen sink.
Marc
That's how I remember it, except for the louche, I would have scored it 2/10.

Hope you did your 'vintage' session in correct order :
- E. Albado, Habana C. 1935 (sink it or... sink it)
- H. Bazinet C. 1910 (light)
- Pernod S. A. Tarragona C. 1935 (good)
- Edouard Pernod C. 1914 (it's getting better)
- Pernod Fils C. 1914 (Here is the xit)
crosby
...™
Marc
You did get a better louche than me then, and the monkey looks disappointed, as I was.
crosby
The monkey is only sad because I got him to pay for it.

It was an interesting experience though and the only reason this stuff got any points was because it was a 70+ year old oddity.
Head_prosthesis
Bitter finish.
It must be a latin thing.
sixela
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jan 21 2007, 12:37 PM) *

That's how I remember it, except for the louche, I would have scored it 2/10.

Hope you did your 'vintage' session in correct order :
- E. Albado, Habana C. 1935 (sink it or... sink it)
- H. Bazinet C. 1910 (light)

It's the way it had aged that made it light (and not that enjoyable in its own right).

I think it was actually quite interesting to note the differences (after it had aired enough to lose its smoky character obviously picked up while ageing badly), with a much more aggressive profile than the charming and seductive PF; it reminded me a bit of the 1797.

As for the Albado, it reminded me (seriously) of Sebor. I still have some, by the way.
crosby
I'm blessed with another sample of it too.

hartsmar
Updated...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.