Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Historic Japanese Wormwood
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Hemingway's Hangover
I was visiting the new Denver Art Museum with my girlfirend and was struck by a plate from an illustrated 16th Century version of the "Tale of Genji", an ancient Japanese text commonly considered "the world's first novel" (which is sort of funny, I thought that honor went to "Gilgamesh", but whatever). The artwork was beautiful and amazingly well preserved: the colors still shone vividly in the low museum lights.

The plate that excited me most (which frightened the people around me, by the way. Dull eyed suburban types don't like to see people actually act with enthusiasm in museums; it confuses them) was an illustration from Chapter 15, titled "The Wormwood Patch", in which the title character rescues the Safflower Princess.

This is the very first reference I have seen to ancient Japanese wormwood and thought it might be worth a mention in the archives. If we could locate some kind of tea or brew with the herb, even better!

The text of the chapter is available here: http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/Genji/00000026.htm

absintheglass-glow2.gif
kevangogh
Wormwood is known in Japanese as "yomogi" and grows all over the place here. The type used for absinthe, grande wormwood, is known as "niga-yomogi", or "bitter" yomogi. That, unfortunately, does not grow all over the place here (except, perhaps, in my yard.) Read more here: http://www.planetbotanic.ca/fact_sheets/ja...erbs/yomogi.htm

Absinthesizer
"Gilgamesh" is an epic poem, not a novel. (And even as epic poems go, it's pretty teensy. But heck, such things were just being invented...)

BTW, I love the new DAM, though I hear it makes some people dizzy, and it's pretty funny how they had to verticalize the walls in order to hang the western art collection. The contemporary stuff looks great in those spaces, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.