Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Hideous Absinthe" Cliff Notes...
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Donniej
As a present I got "Hidoeus Absinthe" by Jad Adams. I'm about 2/3 through it and here is the condensed version...

Absinthe is a famous drink, it's really old and lots of people really liked it but it was banned because of politics.

Then there were lots of artists who drank it in france. These artists pained stuff, sat in cafes, painted people sitting in cafes. These artists were crazy and did looney things. Some of these artists drank absinthe, some didn't. The artists painted more stuff, some wrote peotry too. Most artists slept with prostitutes, some with little girls. Artists are dirty and get VD. Some of the artists drink Absinthe.

In Britain there were artists who wanted to be like the French artists but they were scorned. They still tried to act like the French though so a few of them drank Absinthe.

Yea, well, I think that's about it. I'm sad that I got a book that's much more about Belle Opoque painters than the history of Absinthe. I honestly feel that I wasted a lot of time reading it this far hoping every chapter that the next would start to get into Absinthe but they haven't.
Oxygenee
Adams' book has its flaws, but that's really a very superficial reading.
Provenance
QUOTE(Donniej @ Feb 6 2007, 01:25 PM) *

These artists pained stuff, sat in cafes, painted people sitting in cafes. These artists were crazy and did looney things. Some of these artists drank absinthe, some didn't. The artists painted more stuff, some wrote peotry too. Most artists slept with prostitutes, some with little girls. Artists are dirty and get VD.

I want to be an artist.
Absinthesizer
QUOTE(Donniej @ Feb 6 2007, 02:25 PM) *

I'm sad that I got a book that's much more about Belle Opoque painters than the history of Absinthe.

Don't you mean "Belle Opaque"? harhar.gif
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Feb 12 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Adam's book . . .

At the risk of sounding like sixela, shouldn't that be Adams'?
Oxygenee
You sound just like sixela.
speedle
QUOTE(Donniej @ Feb 6 2007, 04:25 PM) *
As a present I got "Hidoeus Absinthe" by Jad Adams. I'm about 2/3 through it and here is the condensed version...

Yea, well, I think that's about it. I'm sad that I got a book that's much more about Belle Opoque painters than the history of Absinthe. I honestly feel that I wasted a lot of time reading it this far hoping every chapter that the next would start to get into Absinthe but they haven't.

A quick search on Amazon for books relating to "Absinthe" revealed 4840 results. So, get a different book. Second, send the Adams book to me, that way you'll never have to look at it again! chickawow.gif
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Feb 12 2007, 07:28 PM) *

You sound just like sixela.

No, no.

QUOTE(sixela's post would look more like this:)
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Feb 12 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Adam's [sic] book . . .

I agree with you on the subject of Adams '¹ book. [. . .]

[Corrects mistakes in Donniej's original post]

--
¹Balance restoration (by moving apostrophe to the right).
G&C
You're all ill.
The Standard Deviant
Sic.
G&C
Like I said.
Oxygenee
ibid.
Absomphe
How much, and on what? w00t2.gif

Donniej
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Feb 12 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Adams' book has its flaws, but that's really a very superficial reading.

You're right. There is tons of great info in the book... mostly about artists though. I was however hoping for a book about Absinthe.

If the book was retitled to "French artists: 1850 - 1910" I might wonder why there were so many Abisnthe refferences but it would certainly be a much more accurate title.
speedle
Does this mean you're not sending me your book? harhar.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.