Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe on TV?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Conju
Does anyone know of any program about absinthe produced for TV viewing, perhaps on the History Channel or TLC or Discovery Channel?
Absomphe
Conju: Nope. The only way I got to see absinthe on a weekly basis, was by watching the series "Carnivale". Then they killed off Lodz the absinthe drinker, and sort of spoiled the fun. But an actual documentary on the subject I'm unaware of. no.gif
Lord Stanley
There's a segment called "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" about 10 minutes long on the From Hell DVD. It's pretty low-budget and all talking but it's something.
Head_prosthesis
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 20 2003, 11:04 AM)
There's a segment called "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" about 10 minutes long on the From Hell DVD. It's pretty low-budget and all talking but it's something.

Yes, our friend Ian from LdF is one of the speakers.

Head_prosthesis
Wolfgang posted this awhile ago but it's a good interview.

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20010726...26-absinthe.asx

Discovery channel interview about absinthe with a chemistry professor from McGill university in Montreal :

Interview

side notes:
Dr. Schwarcz is director of McGill University's Office for Chemistry and Society. In addition to teaching chemistry at McGill, he hosts a weekly "phone-in" show about chemistry on Montreal radio station CJAD, writes a weekly column called "The Right Chemistry" in the Montreal Gazette, and has a regular TV feature entitled "Joe's Chemistry Set" on the Canadian Discovery Channel.

-Wolfgang
Conju
That jackass didn't even quote Wilde right, good interview though
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Head_prosthesis @ Dec 20 2003, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 20 2003, 11:04 AM)
There's a segment called "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" about 10 minutes long on the From Hell DVD.  It's pretty low-budget and all talking but it's something.

Yes, our friend Ian from LdF is one of the speakers.

Yeah, I thought so but I wasn't entirely sure so I didn't mention it. That mini-documentary could have been done much better by showing a few of the historical sites, distilleries, vintage brands and preparation methods. It was fairly interesting nonetheless.
Head_prosthesis
Re: the Jackass

He paraphrased him.

The fact that he mentioned him at all, is enough for Oscar.
Conju
Yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks for the Info, if you turn up with anything else, please let me know
Head_prosthesis
I got your back brother!
I_B_Puffin
There's the annual Martha Stewart absinthe special. Doesn't anyone ever watch it?
justabob
QUOTE (Head_prosthesis @ Dec 20 2003, 11:36 AM)
Wolfgang posted this awhile ago but it's a good interview.

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20010726...26-absinthe.asx

Discovery channel interview about absinthe with a chemistry professor from McGill university in Montreal :

Interview

side notes:
Dr. Schwarcz is director of McGill University's Office for Chemistry and Society. In addition to teaching chemistry at McGill, he hosts a weekly "phone-in" show about chemistry on Montreal radio station CJAD, writes a weekly column called "The Right Chemistry" in the Montreal Gazette, and has a regular TV feature entitled "Joe's Chemistry Set" on the Canadian Discovery Channel.

-Wolfgang

Thanks for the link Head. Great stuff.
Head_prosthesis
I'm just lucky I can remember anything,
I'll pass the thank you onto Wolfgang.
Donnie Darko
ABC news in NYC did a story on the absinthe "drug", and interviewed Ted B & Justin Sledge a couple years back. Total fuckin hysteria piece, complete with some dumb bastard who tried to make his own w/ wormwood extract and made hisself even dumberer.

Rimbaud has a copy, as do a few others. Ted has a few interesting things to say, though it appears that they edited out all the interesting information...

The Martha Stewart one is hilarious. Rumour has it what she was drinking was actually Jade. dildollblack.gif She stuck a disclaimer on it saying it was only Pastis, but the "expert" she interviewed would always change the subject when Martha would be like "but this isn't the real Absinthe, right? Right?"....

Least she didn't light it on fire.
Conju
I had a hunch that ol' martha would do something like that
Felis Catus
Another reason for Martha to be imprisoned.

After all,you can go to prison for drinking that absinthe,right? guillotine.gif
Absomphe
Well, Felis, not for DRINKING it, more like distilling it, but in Martha's case, I would hope they could find it in their hearts to make an exception! To use my word du jour...she makes me wanna HURL. dev.gif
JohnnyG
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 21 2003, 07:03 PM)
ABC news in NYC did a story on the absinthe "drug", and interviewed Ted B & Justin Sledge a couple years back.

Justin Sledge is a petty thief. What a loser.
BlackJack
Excuse me? Care to elucidate? I consider Justin a friend, and have trouble believing that. To start with, he's not a "petty" anything.
Absomphe
Johnny G: In da absence of da Head Cheese,I as Cozy Nostril, have been what ya call, put in charge o' keepin' it real around here...one ting I can tell ya is dat Justin Sledge aint no thief!!!!! My ol' lady an' me hosted him for a week last year...we consider each other like bruddahs...youse insults him, youse messin' wit da Nostrils...even if he had swiped a few things in his life (who hasn't) it's not your place to mud sling in here...This is an absinthe forum, and he knows about dat stuff than most. He's waddaya callit?...er-y-oo-dite on da subject. Enough said headbonk.gif headbonk.gif headbonk.gif guillotine.gif

Donnie Darko
QUOTE (JohnnyG @ Dec 23 2003, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 21 2003, 07:03 PM)
ABC news in NYC did a story on the absinthe "drug", and interviewed Ted B & Justin Sledge a couple years back.

Justin Sledge is a petty thief. What a loser.

Judging by the lack of evidence presented, it appears Johnny G is the petty one.
rjordan
nono.gif Hey Johnny, youse betta listen to my brudda Nostril, Don Abs. He knows what he's talkin' about. If he says this cat is a good cat then he must be a good cat. To quote Julian Grendel in the movie Ford Fairlane, "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, at least wait 'til they're out of the goddamn room." I guess that goes for their friends too. dev.gif gun thug.gif

fez.gif
Absomphe
Bruddah Nostril: Youse bringin' tears to my eyeholes, da way youse always gettin' my back! Dat's what youse call loyalty in La Familia Johnny...read...and remember! Vive Le Absinthe!!! wormwood.gif Vive Le Cozy Nostrils! Beer.gif cocktail1.gif cocktail2.gif
JohnnyG
QUOTE (BlackJack @ Dec 23 2003, 11:58 AM)
Excuse me?  Care to elucidate?  I consider Justin a friend, and have trouble believing that.  To start with, he's not a "petty" anything.

Before I elucidate on the subject, let me make sure I am speaking of the same person you all seem to know.

Is this person early to mid-twenties, lives in Mississippi or Louisiana (or one of those southern states), still in college or recently out of it, and was involved in some unfortunate happenings that ended up being in the news when he was in high school?

More succinctly, did or does this person use the handle Chrysippvs?

Please confirm or refute. I'm not here to start trouble.
JohnnyG
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Dec 23 2003, 01:38 PM)
He's waddaya callit?...er-y-oo-dite on da subject.

I'm sorry, that last sentence is unintelligible to me. I'm pretty good at interpreting phonics and/or ebonics, but for the life of me I can't figure out what er-y-oo-dite means. In fact, I think I just gave myself a headache after staring at it for 5 minutes enunciating it out loud over and over.
Marc Chevalier

QUOTE (JohnnyG @ Dec 24 2003, 05:19 AM)
Before I elucidate on the subject, let me make sure I am speaking of the same person you all seem to know.

Is this person early to mid-twenties, lives in Mississippi or Louisiana (or one of those southern states), still in college or recently out of it, and was involved in some unfortunate happenings that ended up being in the news when he was in high school?

Please confirm or refute.  I'm not here to start trouble.

JohnnyG, you're correct. Still, it's a hell of a sad subject to bring up. And I'm not sure why Blackjack and Donnie Darko would incite you to talk about it further. Shouldn't this kind of thing stay private? Discuss it in e-mails, if you want to-- but not on the Forum.

rjordan
frusty.gif First of all, Mr. G, it's erudite and it means, learned or scholarly, characterized by erudition. And second of all it's not phonics or ebonics. Dat's the way us Cozy Nostrils talk. Youse know, wit' dat thick Eye-talian accent. And third of all, we ain't startin' no trouble neither. We's just don't take too kindly to the mudslingins' of friends of friends. So before we go any furder, let's wait to clarify or elucidate on just who's it is we's is talkin' about. I think BlackJack knows what he's talkin' about though. And the Don Abs is never wrong. Or better yet, he thought he was wrong once but he was mistaken. yes.gif

O.k. so now that we got dat straight. Maybe we can tip back a cold frosty. Beer.gif To tha Cozy Nostrils.

bobw.gif
JohnnyG
QUOTE (Marc Chevalier @ Dec 24 2003, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyG @ Dec 24 2003, 05:19 AM)

Please confirm or refute.  I'm not here to start trouble.

JohnnyG, you're correct. Still, it's a hell of a sad subject to bring up. And I'm not sure why Blackjack and Donnie Darko would incite you to talk about it further. Shouldn't this kind of thing stay private? Discuss it in e-mails, if you want to-- but not on the Forum.

I guessed as much. I will wait for Blackjack to concur before I expand on my short and hastilly blurted out post. I'm not interested in discussing the unfortunate happenings, I was just using that as a reference to clarify who we were talking about.
JohnnyG
QUOTE (rjordan @ Dec 24 2003, 09:58 AM)
frusty.gif First of all, Mr. G, it's erudite and it means, learned or scholarly, characterized by erudition. And second of all it's not phonics or ebonics. Dat's the way us Cozy Nostrils talk. Youse know, wit' dat thick Eye-talian accent. And third of all, we ain't startin' no trouble neither. We's just don't take too kindly to the mudslingins' of friends of friends. So before we go any furder, let's wait to clarify or elucidate on just who's it is we's is talkin' about. I think BlackJack knows what he's talkin' about though. And the Don Abs is never wrong. Or better yet, he thought he was wrong once but he was mistaken. yes.gif

O.k. so now that we got dat straight. Maybe we can tip back a cold frosty. Beer.gif To tha Cozy Nostrils.

bobw.gif

OK, I got it now. I was using the wrong accent in my head.
JohnnyG
You know, this sucks. I had no intention on causing a problem here but now I've backed myself into a corner.

Based on a few PMs, I have enough information to ascertain that we are talking about the same person. Unfortunately, this presents a dilemma for me and one in which I think I'm royally screwed either way - if I put up, there will be a Big Ugly Public Argument and if I shut up I will look like a total anonymass who lacks any credibility. I won't make friends either way, and that sucks because I like this forum.

I don't go around saying things like that about people unless I have proof and since there's no chance that I will shut up and look like an total asshat with his thumb up his bum, I opt to take the lesser of two evils and provide details to substantiate my allegations, regardless of the enmity it may create towards me. I can post my information (just the facts, ma'am) in an unbiased fashion either publicly or privately. I can do this diplomatically either way.

Your choice.
Marc Chevalier

To the people who don't know what JohnnyG is talking about:

A while back, a guy who called himself Chrysippvs was heavily involved in the absinthe scene. He used to post regularly in this forum.

Suffice to say that the guy's past was a difficult one. It doesn't affect the forum one way or another. Best to let it be, I reckon.

The guy that JohnnyG referred to is indeed Chrysippvs. JohnnyG has stated an opinion, as he is free to do. This opinion is based on Chrysippvs's past, is it not? Fine. Let's leave it at that. Talking about it further won't do anyone any good.

Folks, have the decency not to dig up someone else's past. Would you take kindly to them snooping around yours?

Absomphe
The major incident to which you refer, occurred in 1997, for crying out loud, and Justin's maintained his innocence for approaching 7 years now. He's been through more than even you probably are aware of (whoever you may be),and has put a lot behind him.
The Justin I know is forthright young man of principle...there's a great way to end this...just drop it gracefully. headbonk.gif
Marc Chevalier

JohnnyG, you'll most likely "look like an total asshat with his thumb up his bum" if you continue with this.

If people want "proof", they can do a Google search. They don't need you to do it for them.

JohnnyG
QUOTE (Marc Chevalier @ Dec 24 2003, 12:38 PM)
The guy that JohnnyG referred to is indeed Chrysippvs. JohnnyG has stated an opinion, as he is free to do. This opinion is based on Chrysippvs's past, is it not? Let's leave it at that. Talking about it further won't do anyone any good.

Yes, this is a mess and I apologize, although I cannot retract my statement.

Also, I'm confused, is late December 2002 considered the past??
JohnnyG
QUOTE (Marc Chevalier @ Dec 24 2003, 12:46 PM)
JohnnyG,  you'll most likely "look like an total asshat with his thumb up his bum" if you continue with this. 

If people want "proof", they can do a Google search.  They don't need you to do it for them.

Time out. Let me clarify something. I am not, repeat, not referring to his past history as you are referring to. That's his business and not in any way connected to my original statement.

Again, I ask is December 2002 considered the past? Seems pretty recent to me.
Absomphe
Johnny G: Yup...considering what he's been through since, I would say it is. yes.gif
Marc Chevalier

You don't have to retract anything.

"I'm confused, is late December 2002 considered the past??"

Is this a trick question? Sounds like you're living a dozen months behind the rest of us.

Welcome to the end of 2003. No one in this forum is out to get you. Honestly.

JohnnyG
QUOTE (Marc Chevalier @ Dec 24 2003, 12:57 PM)
You don't have to retract anything.

"I'm confused, is late December 2002 considered the past??"

Is this a trick question?  Sounds like you're living a dozen months behind the rest of us.

Welcome to the end of 2003.   No one in this forum is out to get you.    Honestly.

You know damn well what I'm talking about.

Let me tell you a story. And I'm sorry, but diplomacy just flew out the window on this one based on the hypocrisy that's starting to surface.

He jacked me for $160 less than a year ago (I need not refer to what for because it's obvious) and it didn't seem to bother him all that much. After waiting patiently for two months (I had no reason to be impatient because the previous two transactions went without a hitch), I politely contacted him wondering what was going on. No big deal, he was 'waiting'. Cool. I waited another month. Nothing. I started doing research and finally figured out that he was probably lying to me. Yeah, I was a tad incensed and yes, I did know about his past at that point based on part of my research, but kept my cool and approached him once more about it. Being blunt, I asked him to be straight up with me. No response. Not then and not the email I sent after that, or the one after that. Oops, I guess I blew his cover and he was just going to ignore me and hope I would go away. I was nice up until this point. Determined and firm, but nice. No more Mr. Nice Guy, I decided to keep on him by IM'ing him since he wouldn't answer my emails and he finally admitted that he didn't have what I had ordered 3 months ago. OK, easy enough, credit my account. He said he couldn't because he needed the money for school and for spending money but could I wait a little longer and he would see what he could do for me, no promises. I declined based on his increasingly evasive behavior and said I wanted my money back. He said he would see what he could do. He flat out ignored me from that point on so I had the charge reversed. End of story.

In fact, after speaking to several other individuals that he did the same thing to, I concluded that he was no more concerned with taking their money as opposed to taking mine. But, since it was almost New Year's Eve 2002 at the time, I'm sure he made a solemn resolution to swear off this behavior in 2003, right?

So, let me get this straight. What you're saying is his past history from 1997 warrants exonerating him of any recent past (e.g., December 2002), unknown present and possible future transgressions? Are we drawing the line at 2003 and forgiving anything that happened before then? I'm sorry, but the 'crutch' theory doesn't fly with me, it's an utter load of crap. Let me know how slighted you feel when someone anonymous like that rips you off and gives you some sob story that they've had it tough and to please feel sorry for them, OK?

Come to think of it, I've had it pretty damn tough too, so can I start pilfering money from people using PayPal (which is a crime) so I can pay for my school and extracurricular activities and simply rationalize it all away because I've had a tough life?

You know, I just thought of something. You bash people like Betty as being unscrupulous, but seem to look the other way when it comes to people like Justin.

I really need to change my sig to include hypocrisy along with hydrogen and stupidity.
Kirk
That was post # 13 for you J.G. ! Interesting.
rjordan
Mr. G, let me be the first or second or third or I don't know who has said it yet but:

READ THE FAQ

numbers 1-8. All of that applies because this has gotten way out of control.

offtopic2.gif offtopic2.gif offtopic2.gif offtopic2.gif offtopic2.gif

bobw.gif
JohnnyG
QUOTE (rjordan @ Dec 24 2003, 02:49 PM)
Mr. G, let me be the first or second or third or I don't who has said it yet but:

READ THE FAQ 

numbers 1-8.  All of that applies because this has gotten way out of control.

offtopic2.gif offtopic2.gif  offtopic2.gif  offtopic2.gif  offtopic2.gif

bobw.gif

Subject and thread: Absinthe on TV -> ABC interview mentioned -> specific person mentioned -> comment made -> request for elucidation -> elaboration in response to request

Someone asked for details and I provided them.

So, am I to expect censorship forthcoming?
Conju
I dont mean to interject here, but this is a really stupid topic and doesnt affect alot of us either way. It sucks what happened to you johnny, but seriously, drop it, I'm still out $350 to another guy, but I rarely go blathering about it.
Donnie Darko
If every thread were required to be exactly on topic, we'd have to shit-can 95% of the "Cozy Nostril's" posts. (WTF is a cozy nostril anyway?)

Justin was mentioned, Johnny G said he was a thief, I asked why and so did Blackjack, and Johnny told us why. Seems OK to me.

Justin isn't here to defend himself, but if what Johnny G says is true, then Justin is a thief. I believe something similar happened to Louched Liver as well.

Not sure why Swiss La Bleue=scam, but of the 4 people I've attempted to acquire La Bleue from, all 4 of them have either not delivered, delivered a fake, or ass raped my wallet and lied to me.

I say avoid the stuff.
JohnnyG
QUOTE (rjordan @ Dec 24 2003, 02:49 PM)
Mr. G, let me be the first or second or third or I don't know who has said it yet but:

READ THE FAQ 

numbers 1-8.  All of that applies because this has gotten way out of control.

offtopic2.gif offtopic2.gif  offtopic2.gif  offtopic2.gif  offtopic2.gif

bobw.gif

Mr. Jordan, let's examine this, shall we?

1 - Don't be an asshole.

Well, I guess I'm guilty as charged, unless that also means "don't be opinionated and occasionally arrogant", in which this is a direct contradiction to rule #2, below. Nebulous interpretation in favor of the forum - Score: 0-1

2 - On Atmosphere - ...right to be opinionated, occasionally arrogant, and parade in fluffy bunny suits.

I'm in compliance with the first two, but I don't wear bunny outfits, sorry. Score: 1-1

3 - On Posting: ...we of course won't require that the thread *remains* on topic once it has started to veer...

In compliance. Score: 2-1

4 - Forbidden Subjects:

Irrelevant. Score: 3-1

5 - Trolls:

Whatever. Score: 4-1

6 - On Privacy:

I gave just the facts and that's it, plus you all asked for them. Score: 5-1

7 - On Flaming:

Per rule #2 (see above), I have the right to be opinionated and occasionally arrogant. Score: 6-1

8 - Inflammatory Posts

See rule #7 - Flaming Score: 7-1

Well, looks like I may possibly be guilty of being an asshole, but that can also be interpreted as opinionated and occasionally arrogant, can't it? *referee whistle* Offsetting penalties, score adjusted to 8-0 in favor of the visiting team.
Absomphe
Donnie D: You know, I have no idea what a "Cozy Nostril" is either...I guess you'd have to ask Head...he bestowed the title on me, as an alter ego I suppose...maybe when he and Kallisti return from Reno, you can pose the question to him. dev.gif
JohnnyG
QUOTE (conju @ Dec 24 2003, 03:35 PM)
I dont mean to interject here, but this is a really stupid topic and doesnt affect alot of us either way. It sucks what happened to you johnny, but seriously, drop it, I'm still out $350 to another guy, but I rarely go blathering about it.

Please pay attention. One, the topic was Absinthe on TV, not Johnny Got Ripped Off. Two, I'm way over it and was simply making a comment that ended up requiring additional information. Simple as that. If I would have dropped it by not replying back to Blackjack et. al., I would have looked quite the <insert expletive>.

Yeah, I know. I do anyway. I'll get over it.

Do not mistake my caustic nature as "man, he's really pissed, full of hatred and holds grudges" because that would be an incorrect assessment of my personality. Sarcasm is the outlet for my sense of humor, one of the main reasons I like this forum.
JohnnyG
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 24 2003, 03:39 PM)
If every thread were required to be exactly on topic, we'd have to shit-can 95% of the "Cozy Nostril's" posts. (WTF is a cozy nostril anyway?)

Justin was mentioned, Johnny G said he was a thief, I asked why and so did Blackjack, and Johnny told us why. Seems OK to me.

Justin isn't here to defend himself, but if what Johnny G says is true, then Justin is a thief. I believe something similar happened to Louched Liver as well.

Not sure why Swiss La Bleue=scam, but of the 4 people I've attempted to acquire La Bleue from, all 4 of them have either not delivered, delivered a fake, or ass raped my wallet and lied to me.

I say avoid the stuff.

I saw Justin reading this thread. That is, if he is the one registered here as chrysippvs.

Lord Stanley
QUOTE (JohnnyG @ Dec 24 2003, 03:52 PM)

2 - On Atmosphere - ...right to be opinionated, occasionally arrogant, and parade in fluffy bunny suits.

I'm in compliance with the first two, but I don't wear bunny outfits, sorry. Score: 1-1

Per rule #2 (see above), I have the right to be opinionated and occasionally arrogant. Score: 6-1

If you want the right to be arrogant and opinionated, you need to wear the bunny suit.

Can't have your absinthe and drink it too.
Sorry

harhar.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Dec 24 2003, 03:54 PM)
Donnie D: You know, I have no idea what a "Cozy Nostril" is either...I guess you'd have to ask Head...he bestowed the title on me, as an alter ego I suppose...maybe when he and Kallisti return from Reno, you can pose the question to him. dev.gif

I believe you wanted to join the Absinthe Mafia but Head did not judge you as "Cosa Nostra" worthy.

Hence, you must settle for a promotion (?) to the Cozy Nostrils.

Merry Christmas, folks Santa.png
JohnnyG
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 24 2003, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyG @ Dec 24 2003, 03:52 PM)

I'm in compliance with the first two, but I don't wear bunny outfits, sorry.  Score: 1-1

Per rule #2 (see above), I have the right to be opinionated and occasionally arrogant.  Score: 6-1

If you want the right to be arrogant and opinionated, you need to wear the bunny suit.

Can't have your absinthe and drink it too.
Sorry

harhar.gif

Duly noted. I'll consider it and get back to you.

I'm outta here for the day. Merry Xmas to all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.