Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Like Industrial Music...?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
joalco
Without turning into a total spam machine, I figured I'd share the word (for those of you who like the music or give a rat's posterior).

My pirate radio show, "Absinthe & Cigarettes," goes down every Tuesday night from 11pm - 3am (Central).

In Austin, it's 92.7 FM (as one of our transmitters is currently out of commission), and on the infernets, you can check out www.kaos959.com .

We don't have a set playlist, but tonight's going to be primarily industrial & experimental.

Check it out if you're in the grips of insomnia...

poster_spam.gif
OKKVLTA
Nice! In Finland we have this internet radio which mostly plays industrial/dark music. I think it's now down due to techical difficulties or something, but they have promised to play my sets there :)

Maybe I should try something absinthe themed? ;D
Donnie Darko
Is HIM considered Industrial/Dark in Finland?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(joalco @ Feb 20 2007, 08:57 PM) *

My pirate radio show, "Absinthe & Cigarettes," goes down every Tuesday night from 11pm - 3am (Central).
:

Good to know. I'll look for it next Tuesday. I never could figure out what exactly "Industrial Music" was anyway. I always took it to be anyone who used found objects as instruments, ala Einsturzende Neubauten, but apparently a lot of people think Nine Inch Nails, Ministry or anybody that creatively uses noise along with melody is "Industrial".
Provenance
Selmac
I WILL see that tour. I don't care how far I have to travel.
joalco
I am SO psyched that Throbbing Gristle is recording / touring again!!

There definitely was some Ministry played last night, Neubauten is always good, but I also played some Acid Horse, Thrill Kill Kult, Foetus, KMFDM, Legendary Pink Dots, and the like. Coil gets thrown on pretty often as well. I always have to end the show with Johnny Cash doing "Sam Hall" though.

Eventually I post the set lists on the two MySpace pages (my personal one & the one for the radio show -- yes, I'm one of *those* people)... wacko.gif
OKKVLTA
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Feb 21 2007, 01:30 PM) *

Hahah, thank god no! biggrin.gif
Or at least i don't.... Almost everyone here think chzechinthes are absinthe, so who knows..... blink.gif

Never been fan of TG though, i prefer SPK, Neubauten or Test Dept. But still, i'd love to hear new stuff by it.
Esseintes
Good to see that even here there are a few brothers in mind. How about NWW, Ramleh, Whitehouse, Nocturnal Emissions, Vagina Dentata Organ, Asmus Tietchens or early Current 93 stuff? Also love Cold Meat Industry...
joalco
Very much into Nurse With Wound and Current 93... Not too familiar with the others (aside from a couple of names), but it looks like I've added some new things to my "must hear" list!

Again, thanks to everyone who has either checked out the show and/or expressed interest. Our station almost got shut down about nine months ago (courtesy of an ill-informed and completely unjustified police raid), so just keeping it going has been a labor of love. Every little bit of support is GREATLY appreciated!
joalco
By the way Markus, although I haven't yet been able to sample the Duplais (as my order is on its way), you get a huge thumbs up on the choice of art and artists used for the labels - excellent stuff indeed!
OKKVLTA
QUOTE(www.Absinthe-Distribution.com @ Feb 22 2007, 12:12 AM) *

Good to see that even here there are a few brothers in mind. How about NWW, Ramleh, Whitehouse, Nocturnal Emissions, Vagina Dentata Organ, Asmus Tietchens or early Current 93 stuff? Also love Cold Meat Industry...

Add Laibach, Deutsch Nepal, NON and Death In June to the list too! wink.gif

Btw, my friends music project Pimentola just got record deal from Cold Meat, check out if interested:
www.Pimentola.fi
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(OKKVLTA @ Feb 21 2007, 11:37 PM) *

Good. A lot of people in the US seem to think they're dark or metal or something. I read an article about another Finnish band that seemed interesting though, can't remember their name, but they wore crazy monster costumes kind of like GWAR.

Does anyone know if Genesis P-Orridge is touring with Throbbing Gristle? He's a funny guy. Hard to tell him apart from Eddie Izzard these days...

One album I highly recommend for any industrial/noise/fucked up music fan is The Body Lovers, which is a solo project by the Swans' Michael Gira. He doesn't really sing on it, it's just musically brilliant meanderings that are alternately beautiful and terrifying. Between the track with a woman sobbing (was it Jarboe?) and the track with some old witch-doctor chanting something over a broken drum, I wanted to run out of the room screaming more than once. Heavy stuff.

And yes, the Duplais Balance is a knockout absinthe. I could definitely picture Balance loving it, perhaps a bit too much...
The Standard Deviant
Are you thinking of Lordi, winners of the Eurovision Song Contest 2006?
Selmac
Genesis will be along for the ride, but at this point he's more of a s/he.
Donnie Darko
Pandrogynous, as he/she/it says. The funny thing is that Genesis says it's all about changing your consciousness, so why alter your cosmetic appearance? I guess it's "art".
OKKVLTA
Yeah, the Finnish monstermask band is Lordi. They won the Eurovision song contest with song Hard Rock Hallelujah. Now they sell all kind of crap with the bands picture on it everywhere, and their songs are on radio 24/7..... Very annoying band, i hate them biggrin.gif
Esseintes
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Feb 22 2007, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(OKKVLTA @ Feb 21 2007, 11:37 PM) *

Good. A lot of people in the US seem to think they're dark or metal or something. I read an article about another Finnish band that seemed interesting though, can't remember their name, but they wore crazy monster costumes kind of like GWAR.

Does anyone know if Genesis P-Orridge is touring with Throbbing Gristle? He's a funny guy. Hard to tell him apart from Eddie Izzard these days...

One album I highly recommend for any industrial/noise/fucked up music fan is The Body Lovers, which is a solo project by the Swans' Michael Gira. He doesn't really sing on it, it's just musically brilliant meanderings that are alternately beautiful and terrifying. Between the track with a woman sobbing (was it Jarboe?) and the track with some old witch-doctor chanting something over a broken drum, I wanted to run out of the room screaming more than once. Heavy stuff.

And yes, the Duplais Balance is a knockout absinthe. I could definitely picture Balance loving it, perhaps a bit too much...

I guess there's no TG without Gen, so he must be touring with them. I missed my chance seeing them last year in Berlin, but hey - maybe... who knows.

I saw Swans on their final tour some years ago in France. I expected them to do a gig like the White light... album but in the end it turned out that Gira wanted to do just the very old stuff... My ears were bleeding :-)

Are you guys also more into vinly than CD's?
Steyr850
I wished. Too much of an investment to go back now.
Nice collection.
joalco
Unfortunately, the great majority of my vinyl collection was stolen by a pair of junkies (hours before my co-DJ and I were supposed to spin a party), so I'm down to about 100 records.

Since that time I haven't had the heart or the money to go through the ordeal and expense of replacing everything that was lost.
OKKVLTA
Vinyls would be great, but i already have >200 cd collection, so i'm not going to change to vinyls. And all my dj gear is for cd:s....
The Standard Deviant
Having CDs doesn't exclude you from having vinyl, and if you own the vinyl you can probably download the same songs in digital format without worrying about legal issues.
Steyr850
Unless you don't have a turntable.
Alyssa Dyane
I have been spending quite a bit of time recording all of my vinyl on cd. It is taking forever. Of course, I still have a turn table, I just want them on cd. It makes it easier for some of my computer mixing.
Esseintes
No doubt about that - CD handling is much more comfortable and mp3 even more. Still it's always a pleasure pulling out one of those LP's. One this is for sure the sentimental reason, but I think the bigger space also offers more space for artwork.

I'm presently upgrading a website for a good friend of mine, who's manufacturing high-end phono preamps. In the end vinyl also sounds better...
ubu
The new TG album has a April 1st release date. Actually releasing it would probably be a better April Fool's Day prank than not releasing it.
The new PTV3 album is also supposed to come out this Spring.
Steyr850
QUOTE(www.Absinthe-Distribution.com @ Feb 24 2007, 03:59 AM) *

In the end vinyl also sounds better...

Warmer is a better descriptive. Digital is unmatched for convenience, but can never fully replicate the sound of analog, cracks and all. SACD is pretty close though.
Esseintes
Get the new Sterophile or Absolute Sound and read about the Blueamp phono preamp, which should be available in the States very soon. This opens up the gap between SACD and vinly :)
Selmac
I recently read that Throbbing Gristle won't be playing any shows in the US.

frusty.gif
Steyr850
QUOTE(www.Absinthe-Distribution.com @ Mar 6 2007, 01:08 AM) *

This opens up the gap between SACD and vinly :)

I'm sure it's a gap my ears (and wallet) can't appreciate, butt I do respect it.
rogue_designer
I still keep about 30 LP's for sentimental reasons (and a few that can't be found on CD currently). Nice to turn on the old Dual - that belt driven monster is as old as I am, and almost as heavy.

Everything else is on CD or MP3 at this point. Some interesting recommendations turning up in this thread. I'm very glad I found this forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.