Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conrad’s book mentions laudanum
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
scaper8
I was looking through Barnaby Conrad's book recently and I noticed on page 'XI' in the introduction the caption under one of the photos:

Edmond de Goncourt confessed in a journal entry of September 1885: "And by God, I have put myself on a diet so that if, say, we have an absinthe, we have it with laudanum."

It immediately made me think about the scene out of 'From Hell'.

Obviously this is not how absinthe was normally drunk and I did search the forum and found these posts: 1 and 2.

My question is this: Does anyone know how common (or I should say uncommon) the practice of drinking absinthe with laudanum was?
speedle
Very interesting observation. I've read that book, got it for xmas. I hadn't noticed that quote though. I don't know if it was common, but I'm sure it was done often enough by those who were already abusing whatever there was to abuse in those days.
hartsmar
I'd venture to say it was just as common as drinking brandy with laudanum or wine with laudanum. The thing here isn't that they had absinthe with it, it's that they used Laudanum in the first place.

crosby
Today there is no need fuck around with laudanum, we have heroin.
Provenance
Laudanum is superior at mellowing absinthe's insufferable bitterness.
Jaded Prole
Laudanum is superior at mellowing life's insufferable bitterness.
sixela
QUOTE(crosby @ Feb 25 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Yeah, but your heroin is taken by someone with bad teeth who looks like Alan (and isn't punctual).

G&C
That's not true.

I have teeth, am very punctual and I don't look like Alan.
Absomphe
QUOTE(sixela @ Feb 26 2007, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(crosby @ Feb 25 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Yeah, but your heroin is taken by someone with bad teeth who looks like Alan (and isn't punctual).

Then it probably is Alan onacuz he's a Brit, so those can't be his real teeth.
thegreenimp
Methadone™

It's easier to chug, just ask Anna.
crosby
QUOTE(G&C @ Feb 26 2007, 05:06 PM) *

...I don't look like Alan.

Lucky for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.