Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helfrich !
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Marc
Markus is now selling Helfrich's absinthe.
It's time for my favorite dutch to come back and say hello!
Markus, Helfrich, is it a new distillate ?
Alyssa Dyane
I really want to try this. I think it just made my next order list.
Provenance
The macerate is being distilled, so that unpleasantly bitter and harsh compounds remain in the still while the desired aroma's find their way into the distillate of Helfrich absinthe.

Distilled absinthe, why has no one else thought of that?
sixela
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Mar 1 2007, 06:29 PM) *

Markus is now selling Helfrich's absinthe.
It's time for my favorite dutch to come back and say hello!
Markus, Helfrich, is it a new distillate ?

It's the first distillate from his new distillery in Oirsbeek in Limburg (close enough to the Belgian border to soothe Helfrich).

It's pretty good, even though his verte is only very lightly coloured this time (and almost a blanche as far as taste is concerned).

The blanche is more Duplais recipe than Swiss La Bleue.

Perhaps Der Cros can make a comment, because he has a sample of both.
crosby
I thought they were both quite well crafted. Good enough that I just ordered four bottles of the verte.
sixela
Helfrich tells me he made a few adjustments (the one you had was the distiller's proof) - I hope they don't ruin those four bottles for you.
Wild Bill Turkey
I thought you guys tried the lab samples.
Helfrich
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 2 2007, 03:47 AM) *

It's the first distillate from his new distillery in Oirsbeek in Limburg

It is the fourth distillate from Oirsbeek (Schinnen, Limburg). We have sold more than we expected in The Netherlands. Batches are small and the distiller is cooking his ballz off.

(close enough to the Belgian border to soothe Helfrich).

dev.gif
Helfrich
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Mar 1 2007, 06:29 PM) *

come back and say hello!

Salut Marc !
Helfrich
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 2 2007, 03:42 PM) *

Helfrich tells me he made a few adjustments (the one you had was the distiller's proof) - I hope they don't ruin those four bottles for you.

They won't.
crosby
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 2 2007, 06:42 AM) *

...(the one you had was the distiller's proof...

Eek. harhar.gif
sixela
QUOTE(Helfrich @ Mar 2 2007, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 2 2007, 03:42 PM) *

They won't.

For the record, I'm "stuck" with a distiller's proof (which I do like), but at least he didn't try to sell it to me wink.gif.
Helfrich
For that matter, I told you. Maybe you were too busy talking to notice harhar.gif
Glad you like it though!
Barski
QUOTE(Helfrich @ Mar 2 2007, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 2 2007, 03:47 AM) *

It's the first distillate from his new distillery in Oirsbeek in Limburg

It is the fourth distillate from Oirsbeek (Schinnen, Limburg). We have sold more than we expected in The Netherlands. Batches are small and the distiller is cooking his ballz off.

(close enough to the Belgian border to soothe Helfrich).

dev.gif

Let me know if you need a hand, I've got some spare time the next 2 months.

sixela
QUOTE(Helfrich @ Mar 6 2007, 06:01 PM) *

For that matter, I told you.

I never said you didn't. Hence the apologetical quotes around the word "stuck". Besides, there are a lot worse things to be stuck with - you didn't take me up on my offer of a bottle of Hill's wink.gif.

Marc
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 12 2007, 12:54 PM) *

you didn't take me up on my offer of a bottle of Hill's wink.gif.

Who would?
Me I suppose, unhealthy curiosity...
Absomphe
Or, like Picasso, you'd just be experiencing your Blue Period.
hartsmar
Mthuilli... I have a 10 year old bottle of Hill's. I'll send you a sample! :)
Marc
Yeah sure! I can't wait for such a vintage abs-cheers.gif
Heure Verte
IPB Image

Fresh and fruity. But young ! Probably very good in a couple of months. A bridge between Montmartre and a Pontarlier recipe ?
Wild Bill Turkey
Absinthe Helfrich 68%

Reviewed by Wild Bill Turkey 4/16/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Very attractive natural olive green, not too yellow.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
Oil trails for days. This is one I want Moschops to photograph, the oil trails just keep dancing, deep and well-defined, right up until the drink becomes too cloudy to see them. I see what Hartsmar means about the lack of cloudiness, the drink just becomes generally more opaque. But since the oil trails are thick as jello the whole time, I see this as a very entertaining louche.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
Retains a nice lively green tone after water, more towards the olive end, but still not too yellow. Wish I could give it 8.5 here.

AROMA 24/30
Fruity and harmonious. The aroma is tricky to score because it smells very, very good, but not very strong. The aroma is just delicious. To be honest, I wish it tasted more like it smells. Before water, it smelled so good I had to taste it neat. I was glad I did. Not room-filling like the fatter Jades, but so sweet and inviting. The coriander is more evident in the aroma than in the taste, and the wormwoody smell is also fruitier in the aroma than in the taste. Overall, the aroma before and after water is sweeter and more harmonious than the taste.

MOUTH-FEEL 6/10
My bottle doesn't have a back label with instructions to use 4-6 times the water for dilution. I'm glad. I stopped when it looked and tasted best to me, and it was around 3:1. Even so, it seemed a bit thin to me, but I think it's in the character of the drink, not the dilution. The louche wasn't especially thick, and neither is the mouth feel, and virtually no numbing of the toungue.

TASTE 16/20
I taste a lot of quality ingredients hollering for attention. When I first opened this bottle a few weeks back, it read as random spiciness, but since it was so obviously too fresh, I put it away until now.

Now there are more clearly defined tastes, there is a sweet coriander, but not in anything like the quantity found in the Duplais Balance, which this absinthe reminds me of. There's a good strong grand wormwood, and the coloring pontica, which I'm finally beginning to be able to identify, is noticeable in the mix.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
I would put this absinthe in a group with the Montmartre, Eichelberger, and Balance. But unlike those others, it doesn't have a distinct, defining taste profile. It isn't coriander-driven, like the Balance, or dominated by a quirky taste like cinnamon or pine.

But it's clearly an artistically produced absinthe, using good ingredients and made with skill. There are no bad tastes in this bottle. It seems to lack direction, maybe? It isn't what I'd call balanced, which is fine. The Montmartre isn't "balanced" either, it's a cinnamon bomb. But the Helfrich isn't distinctive in that way. It tastes to me like many great herbs fighting for attention.

But as I said, this is hugely matured compared to the way it tasted to me when I first opened it, and there's every likelihood that it will settle into a more distinctive character with more time.

PERSONAL NOTES
On the G&C scale: Drink it. I'll drink it till it's gone, and then I'll order more.

Wild Bill Turkey scores Absinthe Helfrich 68% 77 out of 100
Helfrich
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Apr 17 2007, 12:48 AM) *

I see what Hartsmar means about the lack of cloudiness, the drink just becomes generally more opaque.

For the record, the one reviewed in the Buyer's Guide was distilled by Rijneveen and is not being continued. This one is in essence a different product (and way better, IMNSHO). Maybe we ought to have changed the name and the label but we didn't.
Marc
WBT, I'm surpised there is no mention of the melissa/citrus in your review, that's what I tasted first in mine, it was dominating the tall wormwood that seemed a little too discrete to me.

My bottle is dated March 3rd and I tasted it only 2 weeks after, I let it age a little since then.

Anyway, it's a good absinthe that uses good products, I particularly appreciated the rich green anise.

As for the tall wormwood... I'm now having difficulties to appreciate anything that is not coming from the fantastic new Pontarlier culture...
Wild Bill Turkey
Funny, I didn't get as much taste of lemon blam, or a real citrus note, which I often find more dominant in other absinthes. A few weeks back, it seemed overpowered by a vague, peppery spiciness, which is almost completely gone now, resolved into more recognizable herbal flavors, none of which are peppery.

(Regarding that Pontarlier wormwood, notice that all my top picks in the "top ten for 2007" thread at HV were the ones that have it.)
hartsmar
Ok, I've added WBT's review to this thread: http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=104427

All future score-sheets for the Helfrich verte should be posted there or, PM'ed/emailed to me.

The Buyer's Guide is upadted as well.
absinthist
Helfrich verte

Reviewed by absinthist 11/22/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Very delicate green with slight yellowish haze, very natural and eye-appealing.

LOUCHE ACTION 10/10
Slowly forming, at 1:2 there is very meticulous line left unlouched, whereas the rest is getting in the register of being semi-opaque but in absinthe sense not absenta's. The louche reminds me of one extrait I am fond of. At 1:4 absinthe is ready to be savoured, so messieurs, c'est l'heure!

COLOR AFTER WATER 10/10
It starts as yellowish opal hue which soon transforms to be on greenish side with very tiny gold nuances.

AROMA 25/30
It has very intriguing aroma flying over the glass which gets slighly tonned down after louching. That aroma delivers strong wormwoodiness, some anethole buddies, spiciness that will be discussed later and not obtrusive citrusy note in the end. Aroma is rich, yet subtle; quite unique.

MOUTH-FEEL 9/10
Taken neat, it delivers very likeable alcohol bite, everything is on its place, if the aforementioned spiciness is at that stage too dominant. Taken sans sucre 1:4 it is very nice and foremost, either neat or louched, it is not about aniseed or sweetness, these notes are discrete and do not overpower the herbal punch Helfrich offers.

TASTE 19/20
The spiciness which I believe comes from coriander (but still a nice note, similar to well-made pastis alike), citrus peels and a snitty pontica that wants to be in the front are the main players in that game, if their coach is still that notorious wormwood. The rest of the crew stay in the back, angelica and Roman chamomile enrich each other, but do not let the main orchestra to be silenced.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 10/10
Helfrich absinthe is better than most of commercial offerings due to the simple fact, it is made by a real passionate who knows how to appeal to even the most demanding customer. That absinthe is for connoisseurs who will discover its complexity, finesse and abundance of nuances, I am ashamed of myself I could only track that few herbs used in it, but their place is not changing.

PERSONAL NOTES
Keep it up, Serge!

absinthist scores Helfrich verte 93 out of 100

I have posted it in an appropriate place frusty.gif Sorry, Markus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.