Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Faux Amies
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Wild Bill Turkey
In the last few days, a new style of "Not Really an Absinthe Spoon" has been popping up on ebay, sold by several different vendors who seem to really believe in what they're selling. They all look identical, but some are listed as being made by different manufacturers. I don't know why they're all suddenly hitting the market at the same time.

There are no holes in these spoons, in case you're thinking that the're just too small to show up in the blurry pics. The sellers have been leaving them in the original plastic bags, making for xitty photographs.

IPB Image
Marc
No hole ? blink.gif
I thought it was a cocktail strainer but if there is no hole...
Oxygenee
If in doubt, Ask Oxy.

It's a Cafe Brulot (aka Cafe Royale) spoon, a kind of fire ritual for coffee. This was a very popular after-dinner drink in New Orleans in the 1950's. Most of these spoons were made by Reed and Barton. A lump of sugar was placed in the spoon and soaked with brandy, which was lighted over the coffee, and then the mixture was stirred into the cup. The Reed and Barton spoons came with a slip of paper that reads: "DIM THE LIGHTS FOR A FLAMING FINALE TO YOUR FINEST MEAL. PLACE A LUMP OF SUGAR ON YOUR CAFE ROYALE SPOON; FILL THE SPOON WITH YOUR FAVORITE COGNAC OR BRANDY AND IGNITE. WHEN THE FLAME BURNS OUT, POUR THE CONTENTS INTO BLACK COFFEE, AND ENJOY THIS WONDERFUL AFTER DINNER BEVERAGE"
Marc
We have a winner here abs-cheers.gif
Gentleman, you've just won a 2-weeks training in Bugnon's distllery, Alan will be your host ! congrats !
Marc
And funnily, I've just received a reply from the seller 30s ago:
"Merci beaucoup, for your interest in my action. The size of the bowl of the scalloped spoon is 45 mm x 45 mm (1 ¾? x 1 ¾ ?) and is solid with no holes."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.