Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parnod Fils
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Conju
This has to be my most unusual question yet (I'm keeping track), sleepy.gif but where would I go about trying to find a vintage bottle of Pernod Fils? Are there any left even? Have any of you had it? And finally, if I actually found it would it be any good?
Conju
My apologies, the title is supposed to say Pernod. I got too excited
Absomphe
Conju: Yes there are bottles of vintage Pernod still in existence...however, actually purchasing one is another matter. Bettina (of "Elixirs") occasionally comes up with one...either Tarragona, Spain, or even more rarely, French pre-ban...but they are HIDEOUSLY expensive...from around 800-3000 dollars a bottle...and even after you pay that much, there is no guaratee that it will be the blissful 19th century experience that you were praying for. Those old bott;les were sealed with corks, and just like any other alcoholic beverage, if the cork seal has been compromised...ie, through shrinkage or dislodging, then aeration takes place, and over the many decades, usually too much oxidation means total or at least partial "skunkiness" which kills the true flavor. I would personally file the vintage Pernod under "dreamworld", that you will probably never experience properly...then again...you could become really chummy with Pierre Verte, who might incredibly graciously offer you a sip of the creme dela creme...Berger 1910 vintage!!!
Pierre: I didn't mean that literally...I swear!!!!! w00t2.gif
Absomphe
Conju: Alternatively, on occasion, a vintage bottle of Pernod, or some other absinthe, comes up for sale on eBay...on a great week, you might even get lucky and score one for ....well, not as expensive...but don't hold your breath!!
Conju
I had an idea that it would be expensive, and I was aware that the cork would most likely be compromised (saw the picture of pernod fils in absinthe history in a bottle). I think I'll ask for something like that for my birthday (and pray) worshippy.gif thanks!
Absomphe
Conju: You DA man, if you can procure such heavenly nectar as a birthday gift...the only person in my universe who would spend that much on me for my birthday, is my lovin' wife...and I COULDN'T accept that kind of loving generosity from her, knowing how hard she would have toiled to purchase it for me! If you wind up with such a prize...my address is.......... w00t2.gif w00t2.gif w00t2.gif absynthe.gif
Conju
No absomphe, YOU DA MAN! You always got the answers! Well anyways check my profile, check out what b-day it really is, its a DOOZIE!
Beer.gif cheers Beer.gif
Absomphe
Conju: I had NO idea you were such a YOUNGSTA! So you're finally going to be legal!!!...as if that has much bearing on our "gray area" avocation!!
It's really cool that you have been into absinthe at such an age...I was as well...I concocted my first HORRID homade CRAP absinthe...but boy did it louche at 21...in 1976! You're certainly right about it being a doozie of a birthday...You know...I might be jealous, but I actually hope you score that vintage Pernod!!! yes.gif
Conju
QUOTE (Absomphe @ whatever time)
So you're finally going to be legal!

Yeah but keep it on the DL, I'd really like to keep recieving absinthe until then. I may not be as well read as you but I'll still drink damnit! (wow that would be a good signature) I believe I owe the credit to a couple of my fraternity brothers. One of them mentioned it once, I thought hell yeah! But then I forgot about it (the whole legality thing pending). Then another of them actually procured a bottle of shitty absinthe and ever since then I cant get enough of it! So that's my story.
Don't start knocking them (frats) because without that, I wouldnt have discovered this.
Beer.gif cheers Beer.gif
Absomphe
Conju: I wouldn't knock Frats..although there was a day when I did knock them BIG time!!..but that's another story! And Hell, as to your being legal...it's a different world from the one I grew up in...the legal drinking age for me was 18...but I was regularly served in my local Weinerwald from the age of 13!!! I could already grow a full beard at the time...and 1968...what a year to be introduced to fine German beer!!! Beer.gif Beer.gif Beer.gif
Conju
Gotta love the german beer!
Btw congrats in advance on your new status! worshippy.gif
Absomphe
Conju: I haven't achieved my new staus yet...another 7 posts...but even when I do, I will not be an Elitist Bastard (of course I was born one of those...I don't need no stinkin' title...because I am already a "Cozy Nostril"...but I will receive my lovely green sugar cubes!!! Sugar.gif Sugar.gif Sugar.gif
Conju
Hey, better than nothing. What does cozy nostril mean anyways?
Absomphe
It's a title given to me by our illustrious Head Cheese, in lieu of my being accepted to the group "Absinthe Mafia"...You know...a play on words...Cosa Nostra...Cozy Nostril...and because he's our Head...it has another, more warped hidden meaning, which I am not privy to! no.gif
Conju
interesting poke.gif
Absomphe
Conju...this is your last chance, dude...don't let me fil in ALL the blanks!! harhar.gif
Conju
I got it done. I got my sugar and am drinking to my triple digits!
Absomphe
So YOU da man after all...for TONIGHT!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! dev.gif dev.gif dev.gif
Absomphe
Welcome to my nightmare.......... Smokin Monkey.gif
Conju
Theres a dev.gif inside me too
Absomphe
Conju: That's GOOD...That's REAL GOOD.... dev.gif dev.gif dev.gif dev.gif dev.gif dev.gif
Conju
One more thing, In the most likey event that I am unable to procure a full bottle of french pre-ban, is there any bar overseas that would sell it by the glass?
Perruche_verte
At over $800 for a bottle *if* the owner can find it anywhere, how much do you think a bar would have to charge you for a glass of it?

What if they dropped it while serving you? blink.gif

It would be a nice novelty idea for a bistro, if the owner were really into absinthe (but I should think most people really into absinthe would save such a rare treat rather than sell it).
traineraz
Don't worry . . . JADE will come to the rescue with a remarkable re-creation of pre-ban Pernod Fils . . . Someday . . . frusty.gif

Um . . . Ted? poke.gif
Absomphe
Santa.png Perruche Verte: Oh, I don't know ..say $ 725 a glass... I'm assuming a relatively magnanimous barkeep!
Of course, if they dropped it, it would be on them...or more accurately, on the floor, which would not be appreciated at all!
And then there's the "willing to part with it" factor..Perruche...you hit the proverbial nail on the head...one should not hold his(or her) breath waiting to try pre-ban absinthe...just enjoy the opportunity to revel in the "new stuff" like Fou-Juice 72!!!!
Absomphe
What's the expression, Traineraz...oh I don't know...how about...from your mouth to God's ears...yeah...that's the ticket...right, Ted??? yes.gif
I_B_Puffin
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Dec 26 2003, 08:25 PM)
Conju: Alternatively, on occasion, a vintage bottle of Pernod, or some other absinthe, comes up for sale on eBay...on a great week, you might even get lucky and score one for ....well, not as expensive...but don't hold your breath!!

From all the ebay scams that have been pointed out here I would never buy one from ebay. My favorite was one week someone sold some empty bottles of Pernod on ebay, then a week later the very same bottles were for sale full. pirate2.gif
Absomphe
Traineraz: By the way... Haven't they already done that...it's like the "hooker" and the price joke...Ted has already established that...now he's only negotiating over the "price"...so to speak.
Absomphe
I B: Neither would I...I was just suggesting something to perhaps take a chance on...after studying the bottle up for sale painstakingly! nono.gif
traineraz
Absomphe -

Last I heard, it was financial/business licensure stuff. I don't know the details, not being of Ted's innermost circle . . . and I imagine the details really ain't nun o' our bidness, anyhoo!

I'm just eager to pour my first glass of Jade and say, chickawow.gif
Absomphe
Traineraz: Bottomline...so the hell am I...I've griped about the "unconsumated "Jade" thing, but really it's only because I crave it so, having tried a few test run samples...so I'm TOTALLY with you...Go Ted!!!
Absomphe
I B: But then again I've been an antiques dealer for going on twenty years, with a real ecclectic studied background in a number of areas...bottles being one of them...so I feel a bit more confident than some, when going after an early 19th century prize!! w00t1.gif
Felis Catus
My great-grandmother collected colored glass-the kind that turns different colors in the sun depending on it's age.

She had cobalt blue,amber and aquamarine.Each room of her house had a different color on display.
She would place the glass on the roof and go up there to turn it.She was still climbing up on the roof well into her 80's.

I do'nt know if any absinthe bottles were in her
collection.I would'nt be suprised if a few old tequila bottles were included,though.Great-grandma liked her Margueritas.

looking-up.gif
Conju
I've been an antiques dealer for going on twenty years

Do you have any good spoons for sale, perhaps a website?
Absomphe
Conju: Sorry...I recently sold all my"excess" absinthe spoons in a single lot on eBay...bad timing Mon Frer.... no.gif
G&C
QUOTE (conju @ Dec 28 2003, 09:57 PM)
I've been an antiques dealer for going on twenty years

Do you have any good spoons for sale, perhaps a website?

You could buy a bottle or two from the Frenchman. He seems to be happy to toss in a spoon or two. worshippy.gif
Conju
that was my secondary plan!
Absomphe
Conju: Good plan...the Frenchman is very reliable and reputable...he has an incredible absinthiana collection, so I'm told...the stuff he sells are just his castoffs! Smokin Monkey.gif
G&C
Indeed! Excellent to deal with, as have the other vendors I've tried recommended by this forum!!

worshippy.gif worshippy.gif
Conju
I don't see any special offers (bottle and spoon) on his page. Am I missing something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.