Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tres Castillos
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Pataphysician
I found this unusual item in Puerto Rico. "Tres Castillos, refined anisette". "Hand crafted" by the Malgor family in Catano Puerto Rico for "over half a century" using "a special variety of anis called 'matalahuga'". The "hand crafting" comes in adding a ton of sugar. Look at that close-up: that's pure rock sugar filling up half the bottle. There's an anis branch stuck in it, too. It comes wrapped in yellow celophane and costs $7.

Has the consistancy and taste of Log Cabin syrup. There's some anis flavor, but it is overwhelmed by sugar. I'm thinking it might be good on pancakes, a sort of "hair of the dog" breakfast.

Click to view attachment
Pataphysician
Mmmm, sugar.
Pataphysician
Award-winning.

Pataphysician
Straight up.
Pataphysician
Looking for a louche. This is best drunk at 1:20 water ratio.
Head_prosthesis
Use it as a fancy simple syrup?
Pataphysician
Yeah, it would actually work for that. I haven't tried it with absinthe yet. I poured it in a dry rum and it was pretty good.

I had to wait until I got home to buy good rum, though. About all they had in Puerto Rico was Bacardi. I saw three brands I didn't recognize on a shelf, all the same price. I asked the guy which one was the best and he just shrugged. I picked one at random and it tasted like....Bacardi.
Pataphysician
OK, well, I just tried a 1/2 ounce of it with 4 ounces water in Duplais Verte. Dueling Anises. Makes it taste like aluminum.
het.gif
Head_prosthesis
Maybe the buckwheat pancakes then?
I bet I'd love it.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Apr 14 2007, 01:48 PM) *

"hair of the dog" breakfast

Alan Sprints of that brewery is too fine a craftsman to have to take such an insult lying down...or rolling over...or playing dead, even.

Although, his Hair of the Dog "Dave" was pretty damned sweet, but in a much more complex kinda way...a real "breakfast of champions" it was, too, at 29%abv. chickawow.gif
Head_prosthesis
tsk tsk...

Microbrew jokes are SO pre 9/11.
Absomphe
So am I Jeffe, in case you haven't noticed.

Most of us terrorists are oldschoolers, at heart. heart.gif

Besides, Serpis is soooo 2003, but I still luv ya! harhar.gif
Absinthesizer
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Apr 14 2007, 07:10 PM) *

OK, well, I just tried a 1/2 ounce of it with 4 ounces water in Duplais Verte. Dueling Anises. Makes it taste like aluminum.
het.gif
Mmmm ... aluminum!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.