Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A new movement
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Pages: 1, 2
Kirk
It has been said over and over; there are a lot of artists here.
Many are closeted but more than a few are out there, here.
A muse or two wafts through here too, on occasion. It seems like a natural, we're here, we're mostly unrepresented and we are communicating with each other.
I think we have the seed to pull together a vehicle with movement, who's with me?
We need a passionate spokesperson to represent us and sell the work, hmmmm, any ideas?
absinthist
Although my art is created for the art's sake I do agree with Kirk. Someone should take care of other fellow-creators, hallucinators and artisans' interests and such. Thus, he answer is: absinthist is for! The next question then: who's with us?
Jaded Prole
While I agree with Kirk and have been quite impressed with the percent of creative people in this group, the kinds of art are quite varied; musicians, poets, painters, writers, photographers, metalsmiths . . . Hard to pull together and into what? Maybe those creating specifically absinthe related art could have a gallery page here.
rogue_designer
I take it we are back with the lament - "Where are the Peggy Guggenheims of the world?"

A lot of art. Not a lot of patrons. It is a dillema.

Do we need buyers or just promoters? Chicken and Egg. Perhaps if we can't rustle up a good, old fashioned patron, we can at least find another Steiglitz to provide gallery space, and a crowd.

Where should the "nouveau arte verte" be centered? France seems logical, but that so many of the artists are on this side of the Atlantic.

justabob
I once new a man he had a story to tell, they called him Kirk, I never knew him well
He worked his magic on shiny things, pendents, grilles and diamond rings
They glowed like the sun and never got old
He's a man of silver with a heart of gold

My vote is for Kirk
Nymphadora
You left out his culinary skills.

"Ode to Sausage"
Kirk
I really got a thrill out of that disc, thanks Justa!
I'm no agent, I couldn't even sell a 100 dollar bill at half price. I was thinking maybe we could get someone with talent in that area, (promotion) maybe Oxy would put them on his refrigerator for us.
I'd hate to see it being all absinthe related either, we are artists, we like absinthe, end of story. The art goes deeper than that, I don't want anyone to be labeled an absinthe artist, especially me. Absinthe has very little to do with it, it was just the absinthe vortex that brought us together.
What we need is someone who is as passionate about collecting and trading in art as Oxy is about collecting and trading in absinthe. Maybe he needs a new hobby? The movement could start here but end in the general arena.
justabob
As a song writer, not sure if I fit in. But a web presence would not be that hard to generate. The problem with artists is ego, I now it's my problem!

A virtual gallery with some sort of related theme may be beneficial. Kirk, are you looking to generate commerce or are you looking for a collective muse?
Kirk
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't make good money on my art, I spend it.
I would love to be able to sell my impressions cuz I have them stacked everywhere.
speedle
I'm not an artist, but couldn't you do what they did in the old days, Put On A Show! As in, a salon or something of the like. Of course geography would be an issue I suppose.
Jaded Prole
An online gallery would work for some things. Maybe it could be categorized by artist or medium or both. As a poet, I realize this works best for the visual arts however, my wife is a fine painter.
Kirk
Poets and musicians should be in the forefront!
The way I see it, online is the new community, as far as a salon goes, I think this is it.
The salons weren't commercial galleries though, and this place shouldn't be either.
I suppose it's possible for us to pool our talents and make a web gallery, but I don't see a joint effort really working. What we need is a true dealer, an expert at display and networking.
justabob
Well sir you have a good eye. I think you are the only one to recognize the avatar. He was an early musical hero of mine. Although if you listen to my style you would never know it.
Jaded Prole
I was a big fan myself. abs-cheers.gif
justabob
I have not thought about ole Ian in quite awhile. It drove me to capo up the ole Martin and play thick as a brick. Aw the good old days.
Absomphe
Maybe, but it ain't no Ian Anderson.

Oh, wait... sleepy.gif
rogue_designer
I've been reviewing what art is linked here (mostly absinthe related) - and trying to find indentifiable aesthetic or philosophic similarities.

Aside from our location (online) and subject matter shown, I have to admit I'm not finding much.

But perhaps it is up to art historians to later tie the threads together... our job is to make the art no?

It's food for thought, and I'm enjoying it regardless.

Any thoughts on what this "movement" should call itself? The Green Rider might seem too derivative. biggrin.gif
Head_prosthesis
I never could tell if that was really Justabob
or Toshiro Mifune.

But Ian Anderson is good.

And yay! Art movement. Speakin of movements.
Like my old instructor Aris Koutroulis once said:

"Soometime ART is like takin' a BEEG SHEET!
You really gotta POOSH!!!

IPB Image
Alyssa Dyane
My room mate has been fascinated with all of the artistic minds in our little absinthe community lately. Last night he was suggesting putting together a collective of work online, or in book form; of artists in the "Modern Bohemian" movement. He does printmaking, and thinks there wouldbe a good market for this type of work.
Nymphadora
A book?! How can I participate when I'm a performance artist? (sigh)
Alyssa Dyane
You can be written about, silly. I am sure there is much to write extolling your talents.
justabob
QUOTE(Head_prosthesis @ Apr 18 2007, 05:05 PM) *

I never could tell if that was really Justabob
or Toshiro Mifune.

Yeah I get that all the time
Jaded Prole
I'm a performance artist

I'll bet!
Kirk
The key here is to not get nailed down.
Absomphe
From your mouth to Mel's ears, Kirk. evill.gif
Kirk
Check this out:
Kirk
Damn good, no?
Alice the absinthe eater
this is an odd question for a photographer to ask, but is that a picture or a painting?

either way I love it.
Kirk
I'm sure Amb would be flattered, it's oil on canvas.
Alice the absinthe eater
geese, I was more leaning to it being a photo that looked like a painting.

very nice work
traineraz
QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 28 2007, 08:07 PM) *

Check this out:

Whose work is that?

And why am I envisioning a version where the molten metal is dripping into the glass to produce the louche (after all, the carafe is missing) . . .

Kirk
The painter created that in a day or two, after I asked him if he had anything with a chip monk, a nice table and an explorer in it.
He was here for about a week.
Absomphe
What a wonderfully understated, yet highly stylized absinthe "still life".

Thanks for sharing, Kirk.
Margarita
but still - could you give a name of that artist or some contacts? Would be much appreciated.
moschops
That is some nice work.

The artist posted here under the name amb for about a week. Here and then gone. The posts have disappeared too. Come back, amb!
Head_prosthesis
Keeps us wanting more I guess.
Bruno Rygseck
His webpage AFAIK. Great painting.

Jaded Prole
Nice painting.
Donnie Darko
That painting is really impressive. Still lifes of absinthe have already been done to the point of me losing interest, but this is a far cry from a still life. This one has literal imagery that has mysterious and somewhat surrealist implications. It's a bizarre world indeed where a man is dressed in winter clothing indoors with what appears to be a fishing pole casting into his entryway, while in the background a freshly prepared glass of Jade Edouard sits waiting to be louched with no water source anywhere in sight, but a chipmunk and a painting of molten steel pouring (who would have a painting of pouring molten steel on their wall?) are there to keep the lonely absinthe glass company.

Looks like one of those visual non-sequitirs from a David Lynch film.
Donnie Darko
Looked at his webpage. Cool. An interesting blend of Edward Hopper loneliness meets René Magritte things-out-of-place surrealism. I particularly like his Natural Law series.
moschops
Thanks for the link, Bruno. Great stuff. I agree with the Hopper/Magritte comparison.
Wild Bill Turkey
The texture and feel of that painting are dreamy and beautiful. The gradations of color in the light and shadow areas are subtle and gorgeous. The pale aqua of the wall and the light cerulean of the shadows mixing together and still acting as contrast for each other. It's hard to see the brushstrokes or appreciate the technique when seeing it at this size, but it looks very smooth.

I like the way that the pouring of the molten metal suggests the pouring and louching of the powerful substance in the glass below it.

The crazy split perspective may or may not be an accident, but it's another factor in making it feel surreal. The vanishing lines of the chair and the table indicate a horizon, or eye-level, that should be about even with the fisherman's waist. But the crown moulding on the wall above him is angling upward, indicating a horizon well above us. Two separate realities.

I can only imagine that amb suddenly decided that he might be losing the rights to his paintings if he posted them publicly here. I know that thought has kept me from posting paintings on the forum. But I wish he hadn't withdrawn his text posts and his membership here as well. He made a welcome addition.
Kirk
I think he's on a roll and just doesn't want to stick around anyplace too long or leave a trace where he's been.
I'm excited about getting the painting though and I'll never forget he was here.
Head_prosthesis
Wasn't he the perfect guest though?

He was conversational, charming, didn't stain the
carpet and left us with fond memories while the
night was still young.

G&C
But he took his bottle home with him.

Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Apr 30 2007, 08:25 AM) *

(who would have a painting of pouring molten steel on their wall?)

Hadn't noticed DD had already made the molten metal/Kirk reference.

He really put a lot into his compostion in such a quick, natural way.
Kirk
I don't know if I've told you guys this before but I have a real cynical opinion of painters, I've even said that I hate them. I guess in part, it's due to my lack of ability in that area and the balance, due to theirs.
I got "Still Life With Edouard" today, oil on panel (not canvas, as I said earlier) by Aaron Morgan Brown.
I love this guy, he may be the best painter of our time. I wish you could see it.
Provenance
QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 18 2007, 07:16 AM) *

The way I see it, online is the new community, as far as a salon goes, I think this is it.
The salons weren't commercial galleries though, and this place shouldn't be either.
I suppose it's possible for us to pool our talents and make a web gallery, but I don't see a joint effort really working. What we need is a true dealer, an expert at display and networking.

This place may provide a model....
Kirk
Current article
About my favorite artist, former member here.
Marc
And more about him here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.