Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Corn Hole
Pages: 1, 2
Conju
I just wanted to get some info from this group, I want get perspective from a more diversified population and have seen very wide diversity among this group.

Thanks for your time.
scaper8
Nothing against them, just don't own any.
Jaded Prole
I'd rather spend my money on something I can use without getting myself in trouble . . .

like booze.
speedle
Nothing against people who do own guns, I'd just rather buy absinthe.
Absomphe
I notice there was no "guns basically suck" option, so I didn't vote.
Pataphysician
I didn't see an option for:

"I own a blackpowder revolver which is no good for hunting or self defense, but looks and sounds bitchin' when I shoot trees."

so I didn't vote.
Alice the absinthe eater
as with the rest I have nothing against firearms. I think they can be pretty neat and maybe a good deal of fun if used right but for me owning one would be a very very bad thing.
Kirk
Don't shoot trees with black powder,
the barrel velocity is so low that the bullet tends to rebound or bounce back, in a straight line.
Dumbass.
Yeah, I have guns, fuck with me and I'll shoot yer ass.
Kirk
I've been shot,
and, I've shot people,
I prefer the later.
Kirk
I don't stock near the ammo I used to,
so. . .
one at a time, ye filthy bastards!
Kirk
If you don't like that idea, maybe you should leave your guns at home,
we'll have a drink instead.
G&C
I'm in for that.

Hunting always gets me into trouble.
Alice the absinthe eater
the idea of hunting non-homosapains bores me.

why hunt something as pretty as a deer when you can blow away a dumbass?
...errr not so say that I.... uhh...... indorse killing people.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 1 2007, 07:39 PM) *

Don't shoot trees with black powder,
the barrel velocity is so low that the bullet tends to rebound or bounce back, in a straight line.
Dumbass.

But never in a straight line. They tend to drop like, like... umm... a lead ball.
Kirk
I've shot trees, and had the bullet whistle right past my head.
Kirk
But, you're right,
it wasn't a straight line.
I don't really want anyone to get hurt, these days, the only reason there is a gun in the house is so my wife can protect herself while I'm gone,
she's the one that would really shoot yer ass,
I'm just a pussy.
Kirk
Man, Ive been trying to quit smoking and
I'm afraid it shows.
grey boy
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 1 2007, 11:27 PM) *

I'm just a pussy.

That's why I love ya.
G&C
QUOTE(Alice the absinthe eater @ May 1 2007, 08:03 PM) *

That's what gets me into trouble.
sixela
QUOTE(Alice the absinthe eater @ May 2 2007, 05:03 AM) *

why hunt something as pretty as a deer when you can blow away a dumbass?
...errr not so say that I.... uhh...... indorse killing people.

You certainly don't endorse spelling like a Homo sapiens.
Marc
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 2 2007, 02:57 AM) *

I notice there was no "guns basically suck" option, so I didn't vote.

I'm with Absomphe, 7 options for guns owners and only one for us.
OMG_Bill
I own several firearms. There was a time when I hunted. There was a time when I shot paper. I was an enthusiast. loading my own ammo and studying ballistics was a hobby.
My gun box is getting lighter each year. They are like everything else, temporary.
Guns have been a part of my whole life. They just collect a tiny bit of dust now. I haven't fired a shot in quite a spell.
There are strong opinions about firearms. I'll keep mine to myself for now.

Cheers!
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ May 1 2007, 08:57 PM) *

I'm in for that.

Hunting always gets me into trouble.

That's why I generally restrict my hunting to beer.

I don't usually need a gun to bring home a trophy, although in Washington it can be difficult to convince a store to stock what you want, unless you do.
Kirk
I agree with Bill, the longer I owned them, the more dust they collected.
I no longer like target shooting, too loud. At one time I had practically every gun known to man,
now my wife has .38 Ruger, Vaquero, I had a .45 of the same make and style but I sold it for booze money.
I still have a $20 .22 though, for varmints.
Steyr850
I gotz dusty guns too.

Obigatory shotguns, deer rifle, and pistols.

I do miss vension, doe.
Wild Bill Turkey
Oh deer.
Nymphadora
I understand why, in the past, people hunt for food, but I will never understand hunting for sport. It baffles me that people derive pleasure from being the DIRECT cause of another creature's death. The excuse of hunting for food during this era is not plausibe for me. Chicken is in plentiful supply at the supermarket and is the cheapest meat you could buy.

Some people state that if you consume meat, you are just as guilty. I understand that argument. However, it is not the same as stalking a living thing, being the one who pulls the trigger to deliver the death blow and deriving pleasure from its death.
Jaded Prole
I'm a scavenger roaming the carrion carry-out.
Steve
I'm with Absomph, guns suck.

I used to sometimes accompany my dad or my brother-in-law on hunting trips. I liked being out in the forest, but I hated the hunting part. I never shot at a deer or elk, and when they shot one I found it really disturbing to watch its death throes.

My brother-in-law, though, used bow and arrow more than guns. I can respect that more. He would track elk for hours or days and eventually get close enough to shoot one in the heart with an arrow. That seemed somehow more fair.

We didn't have a lot of money when I was young. My dad would shoot a deer or elk, hang it up in the shed and butcher it. I would wrap the packages and label them, and we would take the meat to the locker plant for storage. That meat would feed our family for months. I still hate venison and elk.
Wild Bill Turkey
I'm with you as far as not enjoying the killing, Nymph, but I'm not against the philosophy that's behind it. Just because my killing is done for me by people in smeared white jumpsuits down at the stockyard, doesn't mean my hands are clean: it just means that like Kirk says, I'm a pussy.

I've killed the hell out of a million glass bottles and paper targets, though.

But the emotion behind hunting isn't what you think. It's not exactly about the glee of extinguishing life, as you describe it. It is, at least for men, a direct link with the experience of life. Killing for food connects you to the most basic aspect of living, of being an animal.

Men remember being animals better than women do, maybe because we're still mostly there. For men, the moment of the rifle shot is that atavistic moment of survival. In the moment the deer goes down, we have become one with a million generations of savage existence, we have become real animals again, if only for a few moments, and we have justified our existence by trading another life for our own, and provided food for our family.

Most hunters actually do feel a certain kinship with their prey, and honor the sacrifice of their lives. I know my uncle, who is an avid hunter, does. He sounds like a classic redneck hunter stereotype when he's talking about his guns and ammo, etc. But when he's drunk enough to talk a little more freely, some surprising philosophy emerges, and the noble aspect of his relationship to the killing becomes more apparent.
Jaded Prole
I kill bugs.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Nymphadora @ May 2 2007, 07:18 AM) *

I understand why, in the past, people hunt for food...

How temporally pagan of you. tongue.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ May 2 2007, 06:57 AM) *

I kill bugs.

You have to be vewy, vewy quiet to kill bugs...
IPB Image
Steyr850
QUOTE(Nymphadora @ May 2 2007, 08:18 AM) *

However, it is not the same as stalking a living thing, being the one who pulls the trigger to deliver the death blow

True, it's usually much more humane than methods used by the industry.

I agree with Bill's take on this. I've had experiences where things didn't go cleanly and the animal subsequently suffered. On those occassions, I did not like hunting to say the least. I haven't really hunted in over 10 years, except a few times which were more or less opportunities to get in the woods with my old friends. However, I did and still do enjoy being in the woods, watching, learning, and taking game. For sure, there is a moment before the kill that does somehow connect with primal nature, but I never "got off" on the kill or had a blood-lust.
Kirk
I've hunted for food a few times but found I don't have the taste for it.
I like the meat but the ordeal of killing Bambi scarred me.
People are easier to shoot at, when they are shooting you.
Steyr850
Unless it's four in the morning and you have absinthe crystals stuck to yer eyes.

Which I why I have Crimson Trace laser grips on my snubby 38. evill.gif
MrsAbsomphe
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ May 2 2007, 07:54 AM) *

Just because my killing is done for me by people in smeared white jumpsuits down at the stockyard, doesn't mean my hands are clean: it just means that like Kirk says, I'm a pussy.

I've killed the hell out of a million glass bottles and paper targets, though.

But the emotion behind hunting isn't what you think. It's not exactly about the glee of extinguishing life, as you describe it. It is, at least for men, a direct link with the experience of life. Killing for food connects you to the most basic aspect of living, of being an animal.

Men remember being animals better than women do, maybe because we're still mostly there. For men, the moment of the rifle shot is that atavistic moment of survival. In the moment the deer goes down, we have become one with a million generations of savage existence, we have become real animals again, if only for a few moments, and we have justified our existence by trading another life for our own, and provided food for our family.

Most hunters actually do feel a certain kinship with their prey, and honor the sacrifice of their lives. I know my uncle, who is an avid hunter, does. He sounds like a classic redneck hunter stereotype when he's talking about his guns and ammo, etc. But when he's drunk enough to talk a little more freely, some surprising philosophy emerges, and the noble aspect of his relationship to the killing becomes more apparent.

I think buffalo burgers are among the tastiest of meals, so Elliot and I went to a bison ranch to purchase some meat.

While we were waiting, I wandered over to the enclosure where the bison were grazing, and a baby bison ambled over. I petted his sweet head, and he breathed his hot, warm breath on me.

I realized then the connection between my tasty burger and the life that had to be extinguished so that I could eat.

It was hard for me not to cry during the meal.

I respect hunters who hunt for food, who use the animal for sustenance. I think the assholes who shoot lions, bears, and rhinos for the sake of killing a 'wild' beast should be neutered, because there was no need to kill. It is pure human vanity, and a vulgar disrespect for life.

That being said, your post was lyrical to me, and resonated with truth. Thank you.

---Tish looking-up.gif
traineraz
WBT:

QUOTE(MrsAbsomphe @ May 2 2007, 01:31 PM) *

That being said, your post was lyrical to me, and resonated with truth. Thank you.

---Tish looking-up.gif

What she said.

I didn't see options for "I have or plan to buy guns because I don't trust the guv'mint" or "My cult requires that I own at least three firearms, in preparation for the Arming of Geddy Lee".

Not that anybody would choose those anyway.

I don't have any guns at the moment, but will likely buy one or two and do some target practice in the future. And no, I'm not in a cult, nor am I a member of the John Birch Society. So I'm in the "Do not own, but plan to buy" category. That wasn't an option either, so I put myself down as having one for self-defense and stalking fun.
Nymphadora
Can it really be a sport when so much of the advantage is given to man? Men have rifles with scopes, camouflage tree stands, sprays to mask the human scent and female deer scent in a can to lure male deer. If men wish to be 'sporting', how about a fair competition? Men should be naked and natural, like the deer, and armed only with a sharp rock or his bare hands. I wonder how many would enjoy the sport then.
scaper8
I think it's a distinct possibility that some would enjoy that more.
Conju
QUOTE(traineraz @ May 2 2007, 01:14 PM) *

WBT:

QUOTE(MrsAbsomphe @ May 2 2007, 01:31 PM) *

---Tish looking-up.gif

What she said.

I didn't see options for "I have or plan to buy guns because I don't trust the guv'mint" or "My cult requires that I own at least three firearms, in preparation for the Arming of Geddy Lee".

Not that anybody would choose those anyway.

I don't have any guns at the moment, but will likely buy one or two and do some target practice in the future. And no, I'm not in a cult, nor am I a member of the John Birch Society. So I'm in the "Do not own, but plan to buy" category. That wasn't an option either, so I put myself down as having one for self-defense and stalking fun.

Well then, since you are in my area, I'll extend the offer to take you shooting sometime. I have a few guns and would be glad to share them and my knowledge.

PM me and we'll set something up.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 1 2007, 08:24 PM) *

I've shot trees, and had the bullet whistle right past my head.

Are you sure that wasn't the tree shooting back?

We had all kinda firearms when I was a kid. But I was never that interested in hunting, just shooting. Hunting ends up being either really boring or a lot of work. But I love the mechanics of firearms. Now I have only the old black powder (which I got as a teenager after seeing "The Outlaw Josey Wales") that I take out once a year or less.

For the record, I'm in favor of the strictest of gun regulation.
Head_prosthesis
I cry every breakfast about how equally cute
and tasty those little baby bacons are.
sixela
QUOTE(Nymphadora @ May 2 2007, 11:57 PM) *

I wonder how many would enjoy the sport then.

Given the average BMI of the US adult male (Homo sapiens, not deer), you're actually skewing the odds too much in favour of the deer, as a human would have to actually run at times (I suppose you would also forbid chasing the deer then crashing into them with the usual four-wheel drive body relocation facilitators).

The NRA (National Rockthrower's Association) lobby wouldn't quite have the membership it now enjoys, even though no doubt Charlton Heston would still claim they could only pry his rock from his cold, dead fingers.

Mind you, my sympathy for the deer is limited: if people are desperate to shoot at something, I'd rather they shot at deer than people (even dumbasses). Unfortunately, crime statistics in even this gun-shy country show that "hunting" weapons are dual purpose weapons when someone decides to go postal.
Head_prosthesis
There's a secret most men don't tell their wives
about hunting season.

Kirk
It's not about the hunting?
Alice the absinthe eater
QUOTE(Nymphadora @ May 2 2007, 06:57 PM) *

Can it really be a sport when so much of the advantage is given to man? Men have rifles with scopes, camouflage tree stands, sprays to mask the human scent and female deer scent in a can to lure male deer. If men wish to be 'sporting', how about a fair competition? Men should be naked and natural, like the deer, and armed only with a sharp rock or his bare hands.

i've always thought the same thing, but then again I have always wanted a reason to run around the woods nude with a sharp rock for anyone who questions me.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(Head_prosthesis @ May 2 2007, 05:28 PM) *

There's a secret most men don't tell their wives
about hunting season.

I hear the elk huntin' is good up on Brokeback.
Head_prosthesis
*pssst!*

Rumor has it,

the beards are grown

for the natives.
Head_prosthesis
One more note for the evening

Click to view attachment

Found that on the desktop and couldn't pass it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.