Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cognac...
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
JJBlanche
Hey guys. In your optinion, whats the best, resonably priced cognac? Someone gave me a bottle of Cour VS last night, which I enjoyed, but I couldn't help but thinking theres better out there, even by this manufacturer.

Thanks for your time.

absintheglass-glow2.gif
absinthist
The older the better, if ... vintage Martineau, then Camus Grande Champagne VSOP, Maxime VSOP, to name just the few.
sixela
None of it is very adventurous.

How about something like Meukow XO?

My organic food shop has Brard Blanchard VSOP that ain't half bad either.

Someone recently bought me a Maxime Trijol that must've been pretty cheap and rather decent.

Other than that: it's hard to comment without knowing what type of cognac you like.

JJBlanche
QUOTE(sixela @ May 4 2007, 04:15 PM) *

My organic food shop has Brard Blanchard VSOP that ain't half bad either.

Someone recently bought me a Maxime Trijol that must've been pretty cheap and rather decent.

Other than that: it's hard to comment without knowing what type of cognac you like.

Sixla...thats what I'm trying to figure out, I suppose: what Cognac I like. I'm more for smokey flavors as opposed to fruit, if that's any indication. As an aide, Trisha Helfer gives me the nibly jimblies in my pantaloons.

AND...Vorsprung durch TECHNIK!
absinthist
QUOTE(sixela @ May 4 2007, 12:15 PM) *

I harhar.gif consider Meukow (whatever grade) to be blant and definitelely not marvellous as opposed to Camus, that is more expensive and of better quality.
Still, the decision which to pick up is up to JJBlanche.

If you adore the smokiness, why not trying some decent, relatively cheap Napoleon? Like President or Courriere? Maybe Brunel?

sixela
QUOTE(JJBlanche @ May 4 2007, 11:16 PM) *

Sixla...thats what I'm trying to figure out, I suppose: what Cognac I like. I'm more for smokey flavors as opposed to fruit, if that's any indication.

Then don't buy the Meukow XO.
sixela
QUOTE(absinthist @ May 5 2007, 01:27 PM) *

I harhar.gif consider Meukow (whatever grade) to be blant

Whatever floats your boat. I don't think the XO is bland, but I can understand why some people would prefer other cognacs.
sixela
QUOTE(JJBlanche @ May 4 2007, 11:16 PM) *

AND...Vorsprung durch TECHNIK!

That would hardly be a tongue in cheek comment. Certainly given the car I drive.
absinthist
QUOTE(sixela @ May 5 2007, 05:56 AM) *

QUOTE(absinthist @ May 5 2007, 01:27 PM) *

I harhar.gif consider Meukow (whatever grade) to be blant

Whatever floats your boat. I don't think the XO is bland, but I can understand why some people would prefer other cognacs.

Understanding is the key to embrace cognac's uniqueness abs-cheers.gif I might one day like Meukow more.
tabreaux
QUOTE(JJBlanche @ May 4 2007, 11:49 AM) *

Hey guys. In your optinion, whats the best, resonably priced cognac?

I tend to prefer single-distilled armagnacs over cognacs, but if you are looking for a cognac that delivers artisanship and quality for a reasonable price, you should be pleased with just about any of the Pierre Ferrand offerings:

http://www.pierreferrandcognac.com/en/produits.php
TommyGun
I have this one but I would also say that the Martell Cognac Cordon Bleu is my personal favorite. About $100 a bottle.
Deluge
The Pierre Ferrand Ambre is great in a Sazerac!
Grim
QUOTE(tabreaux @ May 6 2007, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(JJBlanche @ May 4 2007, 11:49 AM) *

Hey guys. In your optinion, whats the best, resonably priced cognac?

I tend to prefer single-distilled armagnacs over cognacs, but if you are looking for a cognac that delivers artisanship and quality for a reasonable price, you should be pleased with just about any of the Pierre Ferrand offerings:

http://www.pierreferrandcognac.com/en/produits.php

Good stuff, for sure.

Others may disagree, but I really enjoy Maison Surrene and Germain-Robin.
pierreverte
i met Hubert Germain-Robin recently while i was in the san francisco bay area. he is now no longer distilling the brandy which still carries his name (apparently not by his choice)...very nice guy, now an independant consultant...
Grim
So I take it you have yet to meet Ansley?
pierreverte
no, just Hubert and Joe Thomas Corley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.