Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much have you read?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Pages: 1, 2
Conju
I guess vote for rutabega if you haven't read any.
Felis Catus
I've never read rutabega,but it might make for easy,relaxing reading.

I have gotten most of my info on absinthe from this
site,and from reading what other forum memebers
have to say on various aspects of the subject.I have
gotten at least a basic,but workable,education in this manner.

I have visited other websites,most of which are tripe.(If you like to eat tripe,insert your favorite
term of disgust here.)

I cannot both buy books about absinthe and
sample new absinthes at this time.Finances do not
permit it,so I choose to learn by doing.

I suppose I am an apprentice rather than a scholar,
although I do want to buy the books when I can
afford them.

looking-up.gif wub.gif absynthe.gif

Absomphe
1) History in a Bottle
2)Absinthe: A Cultural History
3)The Delahaye Book...it's been awhile, the title escapes me.
4) Absinthe: Amyth Always Green
5) Absinthe: A Sip of Seduction
6) That histrionic absinthe potboiler from the 19th century,about a man's descent into wretched absinthism...whatever the hell it was called!
Conju
Was one of them the second glass of absinthe? cause I've thought about reading that.
Absomphe
Conju: You're gettin' downright metaphysically oblique on me ...whateverthehell that means!!! wacko.gif
Conju
And you're really helping me to Boost my posts and expand my umm, ummmm, ummm.........Vocabulary!
Absomphe
Conju: I think eventually ,you are destined to be the alltime "posterboy" of La Fee Verte...when the rest of our fingers fall off from attempting to respond to your tsunamic posts!
As I believe Head would say...Rock on Conju!! w00t2.gif
Conju
I dont think that people will respond to well to the "tsunamic posting flood of biblical proportions" that I have brewing.
Conju
The problem is coming up with things to say, that actually have some.. hold on. *siiiiiip* ...something to say.
Conju
and then "accidentally" splitting them into different posts like this one.
Conju
however being a posterboy doesnt neccecarily mean I have smarts.
Conju
which is why I am reading as many books and reviews as I can to ensure I have some knowledge to.... *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip* ....back my title up.
Conju
And thats my short story, spanned over five posts.
Absomphe
Conju: Well the "Oldschoolers" may begin to resent what they may view as simply an attempt to inflate one's numbers in a desperate attempt for self aggrandisement...or...no one will give a shit!!!!!!!!!! harhar.gif
Conju
That also doesnt mean that my social status on this forum will generally reflect a positive value.

Now hows THAT for incessant posting! dev.gif
Absomphe
Besides: I don't wanna feel like some perp...aiding and abetting...so on that note...CHEERS...and GOODNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Conju
with any luck it will be the latter of the two. But the former is definitely not what I am trying to do. Im just searchin for the sugar!
G&C
QUOTE (Felis Catus @ Dec 30 2003, 09:57 PM)

I have gotten most of my info on absinthe from this
site,and from reading what other forum memebers
have to say on various aspects of the subject.I have
gotten at least a basic,but workable,education in this manner.

I have visited other websites,most of which are tripe.(If you like to eat tripe,insert your favorite
term of disgust here.)

I cannot both buy books about absinthe and
sample new absinthes at this time.Finances do not
permit it,so I choose to learn by doing.

I suppose I am an apprentice rather than a scholar,
although I do want to buy the books when I can
afford them.

looking-up.gif  wub.gif  absynthe.gif

I cannot state it any better!

Vive La Fee Verte
Absomphe
Green & Cloudy: Oh..What a great excuse to second your toast...it's French...it's vivE La Fee Verte! absynthe.gif absynthe.gif absynthe.gif
G&C
I correct standed! worshippy.gif
Absomphe
Green: Yer aheadin' fer a hard life me boyo, if yer keep atipplin' the way yer been...repent now while thar's still time afore ye burn in the pits o' hades!!! dev.gif dev.gif dev.gif
G&C
Promises, promises. dev.gif
Absomphe
Yeah, I know what you mean...I'm STILL on that DAMNED waiting list...what's a bloke have to do!!! guillotine.gif guillotine.gif guillotine.gif guillotine.gif
lysistrata
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Dec 30 2003, 11:06 PM)
6) That histrionic absinthe potboiler from the 19th century,about a man's descent into wretched absinthism...whatever the hell it was called!

I believe you're referring to "Wormwood" which is by Marie Correlli & was published in 1890.

Felis, you don't have to buy books; use your public library! I've found the Conrad book "History in a Bottle" as well as Betty's "Sip of Seduction" at mine. Many public libraries will order books for you if they don't have them on the shelves....
Absomphe
Lysistrata: Thanks! The title and author were really nagging at me! LARS!.gif
Felis Catus
Lystie

I am on the lieberrie's poop.gif list.

A few months ago,I get a letter from the L.A main
library saying I owe over $100 in late fines.A little
while later,I get a detailed list of all the books
I have swiped from six different libraries in the L.A
area,along with the price of each book.

I did not do it! I am Innocent,I say! shock.gif

I did lose my library card a while back, and some
bookless nut has taken advantage of my tendency
to lose anything not clamped to my wrists with
iron chains.

Neither my father nor I can get the Forces That Be
at the library to budge and listen to my tale of woe.

So,no library books for me unless I want to fork over
the dough.

I suppose I could read the books on site.

What a Wiener.gif up mess.

It is nice to know some books on absinthe are
availabe at the library.

Yours in Damnation guillotine.gif
looking-up.gif

Felis Catus
Absomphe

Thanks for the reading list!

looking-up.gif
grey boy
Rutabega's are fantastic in soup, and if you haven't tried parsnips your life is incomplete.
Absomphe
Felis: Anything for my Princess/Mad Bartender from...MY REALM...Bwahahaha dev.gif cheekkiss.gif
Felis Catus
Mr A

I thought you said they would'nt accept you in...
That Place.

dev.gif looking-up.gif
Felis Catus
grey boy

Parsnips are truly Food of the Gods.

My mother,and I,cook them sliced and drenched in
butter until they are very soft.Sometimes she cooks them
with carrots or white beets,but I like just
parsnips.

How do you cook them?

looking-up.gif
Felis Catus
The forum needs a new section-Recipes.

Some good cooks are lurking about this forum!

looking-up.gif
Absomphe
And Bartenders!! dev.gif cocktail1.gif cocktail2.gif
Felis Catus
Ha! Do you think anyone would take my concoctions
seriously? blink.gif dev.gif

I bet you have a few you have not revealed...

looking-up.gif
Absomphe
Felis: In my collegiate days I was one of THE madest bartenders around...my crowning achievement was called an Ira's Monster...named after a good friend who bore an uncanny resemblance to Harry Chapin...it consisted of a shot of Maker's Mark bourbon...a shot of Tanqueray Gin...a shot of Stoli Vodka....a shot of Galiano Liqeuer...a shot of my home made absinthe...orange juice...lime juice...pineapple juice...and a generous shot of Bacardi 151...Flambe!

Oh the last ingredient...a PRAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!! guillotine.gif guillotine.gif guillotine.gif
Felis Catus
Woweee!

I think someone could get drunk just looking at that one! blink.gif

looking-up.gif
G&C
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Jan 4 2004, 12:24 AM)
Felis: In my collegiate days I was one of THE madest bartenders around...my crowning achievement was called an Ira's Monster...named after a good friend who bore an uncanny resemblance to Harry Chapin...it consisted of a shot of Maker's Mark bourbon...a shot of Tanqueray Gin...a shot of Stoli Vodka....a shot of Galiano Liqeuer...a shot of my home made absinthe...orange juice...lime juice...pineapple juice...and a generous shot of Bacardi 151...Flambe!

Oh the last ingredient...a PRAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!! guillotine.gif guillotine.gif guillotine.gif

May I ask 1 question please sir? dev.gif

What was the killing radius of that drink?! guillotine.gif
Absomphe
G & C: Let me put it this way...a geiger counter was quite useful...you could measure the drink's potency in rads! cocktail2.gif dev.gif
G&C
I thought that might be the case! cocktail1.gif fireworks.gif
Absomphe
Yup...before it opened there was a definite lack of good barbeque in this outpost town..well at least compared to Seattle I'm sure...I haven't lived down your way in some 17 years...any great barbeque and blues joints down south? w00t1.gif
Felis Catus
We have Dr Hoggly Woggly's Tyler Texas Barberque
just blocks from my abode.

Van Nuys also has The Bear Pit,a barberque joint that's been around since the 50's.

torch.gif heart.gif yes.gif

looking-up.gif
Head_prosthesis
I read the Bible 7 or 10 times... or something...
Absomphe
That's our Head...every once in awhile, his inscrutableness makes me wanna reply with....

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Felis Catus
I think he was referring to the original thread...

But I also think the bible has alot of references to
burning this and that...

Barberque?

looks-nice.gif
Conju
Well head, If you've read the bible like you say you have, does the bible mention wormwood, perhaps an early version of absinthe? miracles can happen you know.
Kirk
Deut. 29:18 :
Lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood.
Prov. 5:4 :
But her end is bitter as wormwood , sharp as a two edged sword.
Jer. 9:15 ;
Therefore thus sayeth the lord of hosts, the god of Israel; behold, I will feed them , even this people, with wormwood , and give them gall to drink.
Lam. 3:15;
He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood, 19: Remembering my affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
Rev. 8:11.
And the name of the star is called wormwood : and the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; and the name of this star is called wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood: and many people died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
The Orientals typified sorrows, cruelties, and calamities of any kind by plants of a poisonous or bitter nature.
G&C
GO KIRK!
wormwood.gif wormwood.gif wormwood.gif wormwood.gif
has always been a good thing!
Kirk
QUOTE (kirk @ Jan 6 2004, 10:50 AM)
wormwood: and many people died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

They were probably bitter because they paid too much for the Suisse Le bleu. fireworks.gif
G&C
and that is enough to kill most people
Absomphe
Kirk: Yeah, some ancestor of Betina was probably peddling the stuff, even back then!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.