Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Farewell Falwell
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
traineraz
You beat me to it by 20 minutes!

What a shame, Jesus killed Jerry Falwell.

Here's an interesting related article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6648265.stm
absinthist
His pap was a bootlegger, it speaks in favour, at least to me. Requiescat in pace. Home for alcoholics - a privately-owned speakesy? Great!
traineraz
Sorry to say, the apple fell far from the tree.

Or not, considering they both spent their lives making money by corrupting others.
absinthist
Corruption remains the key to success if Fallwell is not the chip off the old block, indeed. Btw, how can you put up with such corruptors?
Selmac
Such is the price of freedom.
Kirk
Did he ever get his million dollars from god?
speedle
Like every other human being on this planet, he did what he believed he had to during his life.
absinthist
Farewell or maybe Falwell's awake?

"Mickey Maloney ducked his head
when a bucket of whiskey flew like a berry
It missed, and falling on the bed,
the liquor scattered over Jerry
Now the spirits new life gave the corpse, my joy!
Jerry jumped like a Trojan from the bed
Cryin will ye walup each girl and boy,
What the fuck, do ye think I'm dead?"
traineraz
QUOTE(speedle @ May 15 2007, 12:04 PM) *

Like every other human being on this planet, he did what he believed he had to during his life.

I'd more tend to believe that he did what he chose to during his life.
Jaded Prole
He represented the worst aspects of provincial American fundimentalism spewing bigoted, small-minded ignorance.

Dying was his finest achievement.
Steve
Gotta love Wikipedia:
Steve
I hope he fucking rots in hell forever. Asshole.
Alice the absinthe eater
he's hanging with Hitler now
Hemingway's Hangover
Today is the birthday of my beautiful girlfriend: she thought this was a wonderful gift from the universe.
Donnie Darko
"Jerry Falwell said god told him that he allowed 9/11 to happen because of the feminists, abortions and gay rights activists, which is funny, because I was talking to god yesterday and he told me 9/11 happened because of assholes like Jerry Falwell"-- Lewis Black
Donnie Darko
Here is the most eloquent and accurate blowtorching of Falwell you'll likely ever hear:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/05..._on_falwell.php
Kirk
Beautiful.
I don't think Fallwell was sincere, anymore than Bush and Cheney are.
They follow a creed, they learn it in mutant ninja piglet school.
Anyone that has worked in the corporate atmosphere should know what I'm talking about;
tow the corporate line at all costs and reap the rewards, not towing the line is death (or hell).
Same thing with gangsters, they are gangsters.
The more ground the individual loses to the gangs the more he is forced to look up to these monsters.
Donnie Darko
Well said.
absinthist
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 17 2007, 08:12 AM) *

They follow a creed, they learn it in mutant ninja piglet school.
Same thing with gangsters, they are gangsters.

Indeed, it is the wealth that deprives of humanism. Gangsters=banksters= evill.gif
Donnie Darko
I disagree. It is what one chooses to do with wealth (or power) that makes one a gangster. Otherwise, according to your definition, every philanthropist is a gangster.

In any case, it's nice to see there don't seem to be a lot of "let's say only nice things about him since he's dead" type eulogies regarding Falwell. Hopefully the pendulum is swinging away from the religious totalitarianism advocated by him, though I suppose the endowment for his "Liberty University" (which ironically though not surprisingly preaches against both physical and mental liberty) will ensure his madness will continue to be instilled in young minds for generations to come.
absinthist
Usually gangsters choose to be "jenseits von Gut und Bose" , even if some try to pretend being philanthropic, they stay evil they represent. Maybe the Italian mafia has some ethics instilled but they are another fairytale. And you can find philanthropists in both Cosa Nostra, or other lesser mafias (liek the infamous Russian one).
Selmac
That university is as aptly named as the Patriot Act. I agree that the news coverage of his passing has been pretty balanced. I saw that Christopher Hitchens bit the day Falwell died, and I almost thought it went too far considering the fact that he had only been dead a few hours. I wonder how this would have played out in the media just two or three years ago.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ May 17 2007, 12:29 PM) *

I suppose the endowment for his "Liberty University" (which ironically though not surprisingly preaches against both physical and mental liberty) will ensure his madness will continue to be instilled in young minds for generations to come.

And will extend to our government. Did I read somewhere that Gonzalez was lining up graduates of the newly accredited Liberty University Law School to fill Justice Dept. jobs? These would be people not only intellectually hindered by an education from such a place, but who would also have like, what, one years' job experience?
Kirk
They should fit right in.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Selmac @ May 17 2007, 04:46 PM) *

I saw that Christopher Hitchens bit the day Falwell died, and I almost thought it went too far considering the fact that he had only been dead a few hours.

FWIW, Hitchens said similar things about Falwell before he died, so he was merely being consistent. Nobody on TV paused to say a few nice things or withhold saying bad things about Saddam shortly after his neck was snapped, and the only thing that distinguishes Falwell from Saddam as far as I can tell is that thankfully Falwell had a lot less power. I said good riddance to that totalitarian Saddam shortly afterwards and it only took me about 3 seconds to say good riddance to this totalitarian once I heard the news.
Selmac
Same here. I drank to his demise and I just can't bring myself to be sorry about it. I think that Hitchens is a smart guy and I agree with a lot of the things he has to say. I also think that the fervor with which Mr. Hitchens delivered his opinions in this instance subtracted a bit from his credibility, that's all. He was practically foaming at the mouth.
Donnie Darko
True, he did seem rather livid. Wish I had the whole interview, I wonder if Cooper said something to set him off or if a previously played clip set him off.

EDIT- I found the full interview, nothing in particular was said to set him off. I guess he's just a natural at promoting his book, given his tendency to stir up controversy in a manner that is as cantankerous and contrarian as possible. On HANNITY and Colmes he closed his interview by saying over Ralph Reed that "If you gave Falwell an enema he could have been buried in a matchbox." It's too bad, as his love for free speech (and booze) clearly takes him over the edge into bad taste rather often and undermines the usually dead on accurate and illuminating things he has to say. For example, when Bill Maher's audience booed Hitchens for defending the Iraq invasion on the grounds that Saddam was a genocidal monster, Hitchens gave them the finger, multiple times. That being said, all you have to do is watch British Parliament on TV to see similar attitudes among people who have much more to lose, so I suppose Hitchens being rather pugnacious in his attacks of Falwell is nothing remarkable.
traineraz
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ May 18 2007, 10:06 AM) *

the only thing that distinguishes Falwell from Saddam as far as I can tell is that thankfully Falwell had a lot less power. I said good riddance to that totalitarian Saddam shortly afterwards and it only took me about 3 seconds to say good riddance to this totalitarian once I heard the news.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments about each of them, but as far as American life is concerned, I feel that Falwell had far more power than Hussein. Falwell is one of the handful of people responsible for the rise of the religious wrong in the US; the fallout from his and others' evangelism -- the peak of which has not yet been reached -- will be felt for decades to come. None of it ends with his death; Liberty University doesn't go away, nor does Albert Gonzalez, nor a generation of "home-skoold" children, nor any Jesus-Approved justices on the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, Hussein was a petty dictator who will become a footnote in American history.
G&C
Who?
Absomphe
QUOTE(Alice the absinthe eater @ May 15 2007, 08:01 PM) *

he's hanging with Hitler now

I guess that makes two nutz between 'em, then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.