Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now that Lucid and soon Kübler will be legal in the US…
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
sixela
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation…AbsintheAlcohol

still lists absinthe as prohibited?
Alan
I asked about this here a month ago today. I have also asked US Customs via their site, but they say that it can take at least 2/3 months to answer questions there. Perhaps some US-based members could call their toll-free number:

1 8772275511

for clarification.
Donnie Darko
Why are you surprised to find that the government is the last to know about what the government does?
Ari
No one.

Customs regulations haven't matched FDA regulations for quite awhile (if ever) so I don't expect them to pay attention now. From what I understand thujone from wormwood is still quite banned, the FDA still considers it quite dangerous, but is willing to claim products that can pass their test contain "no thujone" even if other tests for the EU say otherwise (makes you feel quite safe there). So only products that the FDA recognizes as going through and passing their tests are considered 'legal.' Which means customs will still be the slight issue they have been in the past.

Alan, unless something has changed customs will come back to you with 'You need to ask the FDA or TTB for that information.' So far every time I've asked customs they couldn't explain where their rule comes from but that it must be right.
louched liver
Fuckin' government.

Aren't there hungry
people in every country
that could use some
attention?
Marc
What about the thirsty ones?
louched liver
They ALWAYS
fuck w/us.
Grim
Lord Stanley
Even if Customs recognizes the legality of selling absinthe in the US, they can still seize packages due to the illegality of importing alcohol without a permit. No? At the very least, they could hold it pending payment of duty/taxes.
traineraz
Purty much.

But Lucid is being legally imported, and I assume it's getting through Customs somehow.
sixela
QUOTE(Lord Stanley @ Jul 4 2007, 12:24 AM) *

Even if Customs recognizes the legality of selling absinthe in the US, they can still seize packages due to the illegality of importing alcohol without a permit. No?

Not for people taking a couple of bottles in luggage with them, no.
Grim
Why are you worried about customs? Just hold fast and look towards San Fran. Something decent won't be that far away.
louched liver
Do you have
to be Mr. 15%
Of The Story?
Lord Stanley
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 3 2007, 07:05 PM) *

Not for people taking a couple of bottles in luggage with them, no.

True but I'm assuming that the vast majority of absinthe "importers" are doing it through online vendors. Customs regulations with respect to overseas travellers won't do much to improve the availability of absinthe in the US.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.