Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alandia Epoque
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide
hartsmar
According to Alandia.de:
Like Maison ALANDIA Absinthe Époque was developed in cooperation with the international known Absinthe connaisseur "deep forest". The task for this Absinthe was to create a complex but balanced Absinthe, with a smooth note without any bitterness, enhanced by the herbal touch of calamus, resulting in the typical French Absinthe impression. The result is here and we are proud to present it to all Absinthe connaisseurs around the world.

AVERAGE SCORE 79

Reviewed by Shabba53 6/23/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 7/10
Yellowish green. Not a great looking color (not as bright and green as other good brands), but not horrible either. Looks natural.

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
GREAT louche. However, it seemed to be to be a bit artificial in how quickly it developed. Literally the first drop of water began the process, so I had to take some points off for that.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
A very nice opalescent light green/white milky color.

AROMA 24/30
Before water - Inviting aroma of anis and fennel with some hints of wormwood. The alcohol smell present in Maison Alandia has been toned down dramatically.
After water - Fennel and anis with wormwood blossoming as the water is added. Very pleasant with just a bit of bubblegum sweetness.

MOUTH-FEEL 10/10
Wow, very nice and milky thick. Rolls around very well on the tongue. I wonder if this isn't also artificially enhanced like I believe the louche was. But since I can't prove that, I give it a high mark.

TASTE 15/20
Light and refreshing. The bitterness and wormwoody bomb of Maison again has been toned down dramatically. Light and refreshing with just a hint of something harsh that I can't put my finger on(almost 'plasticy'). Quite spicy as well, reminiscent of a Montmartre first run, but not nearly as nice. The wormwood bitterness is offset by the sweetness of the anis, but there is still just a bit of astringence.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
Overall a fairly pleasant surprise from Alandia. Definitely drinkable but also overpriced for the quality, especially since it's really their first major run at high quality absinthe. Now with Lucid available in the states, they have to do some damage control and set this at a much cheaper price to get the business.

PERSONAL NOTES
The bottle and label are obviosly take-offs of a Jade brand, but the quality is lacking. The 'wax' seal is more rubbery than waxy. Also, it's obvious that they use inferior corks, as both corks (one from Epoque and one from Maison) split into a million pieces as I tried to open the bottles.

Shabba53 scores Alandia Epoque 79 out of 100
Wolfgang
Only one review which is dated more than a year ago…

Could someone post a review based on a recently acquired bottle (not older than 6 months) ?

I'm wondering if it is worth adding a bottle to my next order.

Absinthe Ben
I was actually very impressed with Epoque. I also didn't note spiciness to be near any version of Montmartre, so perhaps the formula has been tweaked since its release. I will e-mail Mike for confirmation of this.

Wolfgang, I will try to post some tasting notes on the bottle I have this week. It's less than 6 months old, so hopefully it should answer your inquiry. Assuming it hasn't been answered in one way or another since March, of course! :)
Phoenix
Epoque tastes like a middle of the road absinthe, but has a top shelf price tag attached to it. I wouldn't recommend to anyone. There are much better absinthes out there that can be had for less money.
Wild Bill Turkey
I've heard a lot of people slam Epoque over the years, but what I recall about it is that one afternoon in 2007, Socky, Deviant, Gertz and I drank a full bottle of it start to finish in about an hour. Nobody wept for the beauty of the human condition, but we all kept using phrases like "very drinkable" and "naturally sweet".

I haven't looked into ordering it lately, but I'm sure everyone is correct that it's overpriced for what you get, especially with international shipping.
Shabba53
Maybe it's changed some since I first bought it then. There was an acrid bitter finish at the end. Aside from that, it was pretty decent. But the price tag is way over the top for what it is. Also, back when I bought it, it was a 700 ml bottle for a higher price than most 750s.
Steve
Actually that bottle in 2007 was mine. I took it to Peter's apartment, then to the distillery in Pontarlier (the afternoon that Bill is referring to), and it finally got emptied at the dance in Boveresse. Poor Head carried it around in his backpack half the trip. I thought it was pretty good at the time, but I trust Socky who says he tasted it since then and it wasn't that good. I do remember Claude-Alain tasting a glass that Socky and I were sharing, and he spat it out. I thought it was because it was warm and not diluted very much.
Marc
You're right, it was the general good mood at Boveresse, we were happy to have a 'verte' as a change. But tasting it again after a while, I found it totally uninteresting (specially for the price). A badiane bomb imo.
Absinthe Ben
To me, Epoque seems similar to the Eich 70, but with less of an alpine quality. I think Hartsmar may have been drinking it rather strong, which is probably where his notes of it being spicy came about.

Maybe I was just impressed with it because I was expecting something only slightly above average. I'll taste it again this week and see if I come to the same conclusion, but I remember thinking almost immediately it was incredibly tasty, and easy drinking. I also really love fennel, so the liberal dose may appeal to me more than others.
absinthist
I remember opening the bottle in Bern and drinking the stuff, but what I remember the most was the badiane to the roof. The glass wasn't sinked as far as I remember, dunno what Hugue has done with his glass.
speedle
QUOTE(Absinthe Ben @ Jul 7 2009, 04:46 PM) *

To me, Epoque seems similar to the Eich 70, but with less of an alpine quality. I think Hartsmar may have been drinking it rather strong, which is probably where his notes of it being spicy came about.

Maybe I was just impressed with it because I was expecting something only slightly above average. I'll taste it again this week and see if I come to the same conclusion, but I remember thinking almost immediately it was incredibly tasty, and easy drinking. I also really love fennel, so the liberal dose may appeal to me more than others.

Don't drink it all, just yet. wink.gif
sixela
QUOTE(absinthist @ Jul 7 2009, 09:53 PM) *

I remember opening the bottle in Bern and drinking the stuff, but what I remember the most was the badiane to the roof.

Don't know if it was badiane (it was a bit too smooth for your typical badiane bomb), but I also didn't like the "anethole bomb without all the good fragrance of green anise" character either. I told Socky when I first tried it.

Marc
Yep I remember that.
Gertz
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jul 7 2009, 05:01 PM) *

I've heard a lot of people slam Epoque over the years, but what I recall about it is that one afternoon in 2007, Socky, Deviant, Gertz and I drank a full bottle of it start to finish in about an hour. Nobody wept for the beauty of the human condition, but we all kept using phrases like "very drinkable" and "naturally sweet".

I don't remember anything about it. I do remember that we had Doubs Mystique and Père Kermann. I guess I just didn't have enough working brain cells to store any so-so, middle of the road experience in my memory.
Esseintes
you had Pere Kermans - that explains everything abs-cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.