Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worth it?…
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
Kommienezuspadt
Hi there,

My partner and I are planning a trip across Europe later in the year and I was wondering if you all might offer me your wise and seasoned opinions on attending the Absinthiades in Pontarlier in October?

You see, I don't speak French, I've never been outside of Australia before and I don't know if all will be lost on me at this exciting event. I mean, I love Absinthe and I've spent a few years now learning about it and enjoying it immensely but is such an event more for the French-speaking, well versed, expert type?

I'd be extremely grateful for any thoughts you may have on the issue.

Thank you,
Luke.
louched liver
Xow up and party!
salsa
…just make sure you're careful with the name dropping when you check in at your hotel…!

ohmy.gif
Mistinguett
They have WANTED posters of the offenders tacked on the walls to aid with identification should we ever come back.
There should be no problems but I would not mention any affiliation with this group.
sixela
A few words of advice:
-cut your hair
-dye it (or stop dyeing it)
-take up climbing again until you once more hardly look like a woman

That'll do it.

Remember not to overdo it (or pick the hair colour carefully) or they'll mistake you for Ted Breaux.
Mistinguett

Instead I think I will bring a tent in Oct.
And don’t mention my hair, Crosby could be around.
sixela
QUOTE(Mistinguett @ Jul 16 2007, 08:21 PM) *

Instead I think I will bring a tent in Oct.

Don't forget to set it up downwind from the hotel.

IPB Image

If it's downwind from the hotel, we promise to send you things so you'll be able to resist the urge to leave your own lodgings.

Helfrich
QUOTE(Kommienezuspadt @ Jul 16 2007, 07:16 AM) *

this exciting event

Oh good lord…
Kommienezuspadt
Valuable input there Helfrich, I'm glad you chimed in. Say, can that hat go down any further?
Helfrich
Just risk the journey. It's very exciting and there's plenty of room in the hotels for you to settle in.
Wild Bill Turkey
Don't worry if you don't speak french very well, everybody who lives there speaks it perfectly.
traineraz
If only the same could be said of Americans and English.

And I mean the native-speakers.
Marc
Same in France, a big part of the new generation hardly knows more than 3 or 4 words, we call it the "sms generation", a real shame.
And it's even worse when they write.

Our dictionary is getting lighter and lighter, old beautiful words are gradually replaced by sms or suburbanite words.
The Standard Deviant
C'est stylé, hein?
Marc
Um no.
It's not stylé.
It's bullxit.
Steve
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jul 20 2007, 11:41 AM) *

It's bullxit.

Heh heh! I can still hear you yelling, "Fuck zat boull-SHEET!"
The Standard Deviant
And ee as ze nairve too raight "boulexeet."
Helfrich
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jul 20 2007, 07:06 PM) *

And it's even worse when they write.

Most Dutch are utterly unable to conjugate a regular verb in their own language. Fortunately we have Sixer to guard over the (dying) Dutch absinthe forum as well.
dom_lochet
Sixer is The Guard of Every Known Language.
The Standard Deviant
Are the Dutch losing interest, or going to other Germanic language forums?
Helfrich
That's an excellent question. Thanks.
traineraz
QUOTE(dom_lochet @ Jul 21 2007, 03:25 PM) *

Sixer is The Guard of Every Known Language.

Including Klingon and Elvish, I believe.
sixela
QUOTE(traineraz @ Jul 23 2007, 11:34 PM) *

Including Klingon and Elvish, I believe.

:PTFA: . No Klingon. As for the other, did you mean archaic Elvish, Quenya or that horrible Sindarin patois?

Helfrich
Damn, you are weird.
Marc
Or fucked up.
sixela
Or both, plus a formerly insufferable arsehole.
Steve
Wait, I thought your arsehole DID suffer. huh.gif
sixela
True Dat. I forgot to point that out to someone.
Mistinguett
No need to point it out when Ted is around.
louched liver
He aims for
the competition?
Marc
No.
He likes 6' ass.
louched liver
6 foot of ass?

Baby! That's
thicker'n Pymph.
sixela
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jul 25 2007, 11:19 PM) *

No.
He likes 6' ass.

Names of persons ending with an s (or an "s" sound) frequently still have another apostrophe and "s" added for the possessive. The combination is pronounced with a mid central vowel ("uh" sound, IPA symbol: "e" rotated 180°) for the apostrophe.

6's.

We now go back to our scheduled thread programme.
Marc
I stand corrected.

Butt still, he was after your ass's's's
sixela
I don't have an ass, being from continental Eurofuckyland and not having room at home for a hoofed mammal of the genus Equus , not even a smaller one.
louched liver
Because yer such
an arse.
sixela
Indeed™, but I'm actually a smaller arse these days.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Kommienezuspadt @ Jul 16 2007, 08:16 AM) *

Hi there,

My partner and I are planning a trip across Europe later in the year and I was wondering if you all might offer me your wise and seasoned opinions on attending the Absinthiades in Pontarlier in October?

You see, I don't speak French, I've never been outside of Australia before and I don't know if all will be lost on me at this exciting event. I mean, I love Absinthe and I've spent a few years now learning about it and enjoying it immensely but is such an event more for the French-speaking, well versed, expert type?

I'd be extremely grateful for any thoughts you may have on the issue.

Thank you,
Luke.

As an event it's not that exciting - some lectures, a special exhibition at the museum, a dealer bourse, a tasting competition. Less fun than the Boveresse festival. But touring the distilleries in Pontarlier is interesting if you haven't been there before. Peter and I will be there, as well as, most likely, several French or EU based forumites.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 26 2007, 02:39 AM) *

Indeed™, but I'm actually a smaller arse these days.

I;d lke to suggest a moratorium on the whole subject of your arse. cdog-plain.gif
Head_prosthesis
It's ok with me. Butt, that converation is precisely
what the Corn Hole was created for.

sixela
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jul 26 2007, 07:45 AM) *

I;d lke to suggest a moratorium on the whole subject of your arse. cdog-plain.gif

Only if you refrain from dropping periods on top of your apostrophes.

If you promise not to do it again, you have my support.
Wild Bill Turkey
I thought the semi-colon was a joke about your surgery.
G&C
Sixer must not find it funny.
The Standard Deviant
His posting came to a full stop.
louched liver
No xit.

For 1nce.
Nymphadora
QUOTE(louched liver @ Jul 25 2007, 02:20 PM) *

Baby! That's
thicker'n Pymph.

Nothing wrong with ghetto badonk a donk.
louched liver
And down here
we have donks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.