Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movies
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Donnie Darko
So there's all these big movies out now (Ratatouille, Transformers, Sicko, Sunshine, etc) and nobody is saying peep about them here. What gives?

I guess I will.

Ratatouille was the 2nd best Pixar movie after The Incredibles. If you don't see it you're missing out on a great piece of cinema that is 100x better than 95% of the movies you'll see in any given year. I've never seen computer animated environments look that good. I looked better than real, almost like those hyper-real paintings in some cases. And the writing and acting were great. And the short before it called "Lifted" was the funniest Pixar short they've ever done.

Transformers was crap, glad I only paid matinee price for it. If you're going to make a really stupid movie, you've got to at least make sure the action is amazing (like the Matrix, which was stupid but at least nice eye candy). This movie was stupid and the action was sloppy. You couldn't tell what the Robots were doing to eachother half the time and there was too much smashing and crashing and not enough suspense leading up to the smashing and crashing. I would have much rather it been even cheesier like the cartoon where Starscream would say "Take that Autobots!" and then laugh maniacally than the confusing and sloppy fighting that happened onscreen in Transformers. The girls were blindingly foxy and the CG Animation looked spectacular, but it all amounted to nothing more than a bunch of noise and shit flying and crashing all over the place.

Sicko was pretty good. Moore cherry-picks his information, but his sources aren't provably wrong, and whether you hate the fat self righteous fuck or not, you'd be a fool if you thought our health care system was a lot better than how he portrays it, and an even bigger fool if you think our health care system is priced fairly.

I haven't seen Sunshine yet but I can't wait. There hasn't been a good legit sci-fi movie in a very long time so hopefully Danny Boyle will do it right.
Head_prosthesis
We saw Harry Potter OotP.

I saw two very good documentaries. Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap and Tales of the Rat Fink.

louched liver
Donnie D musta
scored some
coke.

Yap, yap, yap.
Head_prosthesis
We scored some diet coke at Harry Potter.
They also had seasoned curly fries and nachos.
louched liver
Thinkin' of you lovelies
eatin' is more enjoyable
than his yammering.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(louched liver @ Jul 22 2007, 02:45 AM) *

Donnie D musta
scored some
coke.

Yap, yap, yap.

I scored a Cherry Coke at Harry Potter.

After 3 weeks of being locked in a cold dark room, I finally had a day off and didn't know what to do with myself. So I wasted it posting, drinking and watching baseball.

Besides, I just say in one long post what you say in 10 short sequential posts, though what I say usually isn't funny.

The new Harry Potter movie was excellent though. I didn't mind them omitting bits from the book, it all worked just fine on screen.
louched liver
I'm sure they're
happy to here that.
Head_prosthesis
You spelt "hear" wrong.
louched liver
Tired, man.
Real tired.
Getting near the
breaking point.
Here me?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Head_prosthesis @ Jul 22 2007, 01:46 PM) *

You spelt "hear" wrong.

It's OK, you spelt Enormus wrong in the other thread.
Head_prosthesis
Ah, thanks! I'll go fix that pronto.
louched liver
I love ya.
But, don't be
touchin' my pronto.
Pataphysician
Saw "Paris, Je T'aime".
Was good.
Provenance
The acting was excellent but editing was strange.
Provenance
QUOTE(louched liver @ Jul 21 2007, 10:45 PM) *

Donnie D musta
scored some
coke.

Sharing is caring.
traineraz
I saw Shortbus with a bunch of people and we all laughed our asses off . . . I think it was supposed to be erotic, tho.

Oops.
SoulShade
I thought Transformers was great.
louched liver
Cannibal Holocaust.

Bad as you'd think.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 23 2007, 12:32 PM) *

The acting was excellent but editing was strange. [Paris Je T'Aime]

You mean connecting the stories? Yeah, I didn't try to make sense of that, it just seemed like a Short Film Festival.
louched liver
Xort bus film
festival?

That'd be the
Lounge.
hdtv00
I love movies, can never get enough really. I mostly enjoy them in my home theater which consist of

mits hd1000 projector, screen size 110inch
paradigm studio 100,570 and 20's version 3's. pw2200 sub
onkyo reciever 898 model
pc for playback of blu ray and hd-dvd amoung countless other things.

Hell now that I think about it all that could've bought me a couple of full bottles of Pernod Fils vintage, see no I'm thinking proper. I really should stop reading all the things on the site before its to late for me.

Anyway not many great movies this year , I've seen most things but nothing great comes to mind. Transformers I agree with all show and the first 45 minutes was painfully dull. Potter I've yet to watch but I don't totally get into those like most seem to, but I think they're worth watching. I'll edit back more when I think of some titles.
traineraz
QUOTE(louched liver @ Jul 23 2007, 03:37 PM) *

Cannibal Holocaust.

Bad as you'd think.

Perhaps you should try Cannibal! The Musical instead.

Have a shpadoinkle day.
dom_lochet
QUOTE(traineraz @ Jul 24 2007, 02:37 AM) *

QUOTE(louched liver @ Jul 23 2007, 03:37 PM) *

Cannibal Holocaust.

Bad as you'd think.

Perhaps you should try Cannibal! The Musical instead.

Both are great. Though quite different.
louched liver
They're really eatin' at me.
Absomphe
Flesh for fantasy?
Patlow
Paree je t'aime is really fun especially if you miss the city of late night fight lights as much as I do. Ben Gazzara's part is my fav. Also dug the vampire sketch… A lot of it is a bit too "ironic" for my taste, but in general it is a lot of fun. 18 movies for $10. What a bargain!
sixela
QUOTE(hdtv00 @ Jul 24 2007, 01:24 AM) *

before its to late for me.

Two wrongs a right do not make.

It's almost too late for you, but let me throw you a life line: 'o.
Absomphe
'O' as a lifeline?

Drowning seems preferable.
traineraz
Finally saw Team America: World Police.

Worst Stone/Parker project, ever.
louched liver
That's sayin'
sumthin' much?
Le Gimp
Shooter

Liked the book better.
traineraz
QUOTE(louched liver @ Jul 26 2007, 01:39 PM) *

That's sayin'
sumthin' much?

Orgasmo and South Park are good. Cannibal! The Musical was at least moderately entertaining.

I'd rather make out with Martha Stewart than watch Team America again.

Wait, let me think on that a bit . . .

louched liver
She's pretty manly,
c'mon!
traineraz
Well . . . OK, but you go first, and let me know how it goes.

Sloppy seconds are funner anyway, don't need lube.
louched liver
She'll be soooo
disco-appointed
w/anyone else
me.
Absomphe
>butt<?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(traineraz @ Jul 26 2007, 01:37 PM) *

Finally saw Team America: World Police.

Worst Stone/Parker project, ever.

The problem was people were expecting a snarky politically savvy movie, but it's actually just intended to be a spoof of Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer movies… with puppets. I thought it was hilarious. I loved the muslim puppets, all they ever say is "Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad".
hdtv00
I'd take a crack at Martha if for no other reason than to try and bag the daughter, even though she's cunty.
traineraz
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 22 2007, 06:07 AM) *

I scored a Cherry Cock at Harry Potter.

The new Harry Potter movie was excellent though. I didn't mind them omitting bits from the book, it all worked just fine on screen.

I haven't seen it, but a few weeks ago at Salem's only multicultural event (www.worldbeatfestival.org) -- which was surprisingly multicultural and amazingly well-attended -- there was a book tent, and they had everything at 50% off the cover price, and all Harry Potter books 2 for 1, so I got the first four books in (new) paperback for a grand total of $8. Half off, then half off again. No sales tax, it's Oregon. Hard deal to beat.

I'm pretty impressed, on two counts:

First, the movies I've seen (1-3) follow the books pretty darned closely. Some of the movie dialogue in Sorcerer's Bone is more concise and impactful, but that was also Rowling's first book. Not surprising that screenwriters would be able to tweak it out a bit.

Second, they're surprisingly well-written. Rowling doesn't seem nervous about challenging her audience with either language (not dumbed-down) or complex ethical situations (the 'good guys' lying and stealing to accomplish good ends or protect themselves, for example). I didn't feel like I was reading a children's book; more young adult.

These are good things, IMO, for kids to be learning while they're still impressionable -- not everything is black and white. Some grownups can use a refresher course, too. Plus, the general quality of the prose may encourage them to read more stimulating fare than, say, People magazine.

I'm now starting #4, Giblets of Fire, and I guess I'll have to go out and buy #s 5-7.

And hdtv, you'd need the bag for Martha.
Donnie Darko
Yeah, the books are written fairly well, with complex and conflicted characters that are very distinctive and compelling.

Lately it seems entertainment aimed at younger audiences is way the hell better than anything aimed at adults, and addresses more complex and interesting issues. Ratatouille is better than any live-action feature out this year so far, and is an animation that is about, of all things, retaining creative integrity. Philip Pullman's childrens' fantasy trilogy "His Dark Materials" addresses very complex issues and dares to take on the establishment in very provocative ways (and the movie of his first book The Golden Compass is coming out this winter). He's basically the anti-Disney/C.S. Lewis. And of course Harry Potter is out there, in which it's the non-conformist rebels that save the day.

Meanwhile, adults have Dan Brown and "Reality" TV.

I prefer "children's" entertainment.
Provenance
QUOTE(traineraz @ Jul 30 2007, 01:21 PM) *

Giblets of Fire

???
Absomphe
Sounds like a real turkey.
traineraz
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 31 2007, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(traineraz @ Jul 30 2007, 01:21 PM) *

Giblets of Fire

???

Yes, that's #4, preceded by (Harry Potter and the) Chamber Pot of Secretions (#2) and Prison Bitch of Azkaban (#3).

At least I didn't go with (Harry Potter and the) Goblet of Fiber. Sounded like a Metamucil product placement.
Nymphadora
I agree, DD. There are some damn good books in the young adult literature section. I explore that section to see which novels would be interesting for students to read. I have been impressed many times with the issues, characters, imagination and depth displayed in YA literature.
louched liver
And it's a good lure…
Donnie Darko
I thought you were only into molesting illiterate children.
traineraz
Since when is Madame Bovary in the young adult section?
traineraz
Someone finally made it!

There was a promo on the Re-Animator DVD.

traineraz
I got Harry Potter 4 from Nutflix this weekend. When I read the book, I kept thinking, "I thought I saw the movie, but I don't remember any of this. Maybe I just saw a preview."

Well, turns out I HAD seen it in the theater, not just a preview.

Seems that, in order to cut a 760-page book down to a 2.5-hour movie, they removed significant subplots, and even entire characters!

The movie was still pretty good, but I wish they'd managed to keep more of a focus on the "whodunit" aspects of the book. The villain was revealed far too early in the movie, where the well-spun mystery aspects of the book really did keep me guessing until the end. Because, um, I didn't remember who the bad guy was.

Now I've started Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves. I've heard good things. But that's not a movie, so I guess I'll have to hunt down a book thread.
Donnie Darko
I read House of Leaves, it's a real mind fuck. He does a good job with it, although it is a bit gimmicky. It's almost impossible to put it down, and it tends to have the same maddening effect on you as it does on the increasingly deranged narrator.

I hope they never try to make a movie of it, it wouldn't work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.