Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Books and other printed matter
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
traineraz
I went back as far as 2005 and found no thread in here about reading. Maybe we type enough all day that we don't want to read?

Anyway, DD said:

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 15 2007, 11:24 AM) *

I read House of Leaves, it's a real mind fuck. He does a good job with it, although it is a bit gimmicky. It's almost impossible to put it down, and it tends to have the same maddening effect on you as it does on the increasingly deranged narrator.

I hope they never try to make a movie of it, it wouldn't work.

Why did I know you'd read it? Or did I just suspect?

I'm only a few chapters in, and am more interested thus far in the "author" (Zampano) rather than the "narrator" (Johnny). Probably because Johnny is interjecting a bit more of himself than I care to know, and also because he's hyping the story so far up that I can't imagine it living up to expectations.

So, I'm trying to shelve (ahem) the expectations and just see what I get.

It's interesting so far, at least. I've only just gotten to the, er, 1/4" and visiting brother.

What else is good out there? I have a few other things on the shelf that I've yet to read, plus HP 5-7 on order with Amazon.

Donnie Darko
One of the best books I've read in years is Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men". It's bleak as hell, and the Coen brothers' next movie is based on the book. I've heard the film is outstanding, and there's no music in it until the end credits. It has Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones in it.

The premise is this: A south-western hunter finds a few trucks in the middle of the desert surrounded by a load of heroin, $2 million in cash and 3 dead guys. He takes the money, and a rain of craziness and blood ensues. It's sort of a survival Deliverance-type book with really rich characters, lots of blood and a very blunt semi-stream of consciousness writing style that is fantastic.
traineraz
Definitely sounds bleak . . .
absinthist
Besides old manuals and herbalist works+scientific papers, my two ultimate choices are: "The Prince" by Machiavelli and anything Winnie-The-Pooh by A.A.Milne.

Not counting the countless history of art's stuff. Recently I have read "LA Catedral del Mar" by Ildefonso Falcones-great story, very entertaining.
Pataphysician
"Le Grand Meaulnes" by Alain-Fournier. Beautiful, haunting, bleak, dreamy, naive, heart-wrenching, fin-de-siecle coming-of-age/romance/mystery story. He wrote this one book and died in WWI. I read it mainly because its setting in the Sologne region of France & it's importance to the Surrealists.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 15 2007, 04:57 PM) *

the film is outstanding

It has Tommy Lee Jones in it.

Only one of these statements can be true.
Nymphadora
I didn't want to read Tommy Lee Jones and Deliverance in the same post either.
Absomphe
Why not?

I think it'd be fun to watch him reprise Ned Beatty's role. evill.gif

Kommienezuspadt
American Gods by Neil Gaiman,
Gilgamesh by Joan London,
The Stand by Stephen King and
Perfume by Patrick Suskind are books I've read recently and are all great.
IsThatLatin
I read a lot.

Some favs:
Lord of the Barnyard by Tristan Egolf
White Noise by Don Delillo
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks

Currently reading:
The Victorians by A.N. Wilson
The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe ('bout 30 pages away from finishing, finally)
Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin (just started)
Romanticism and the Gothic: Genre, Reception, and Canon Formation by Michael Gamer

Recently finished:

The Beckoning Fair One by Oliver Onions
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
The French Revolution and the People by David Andress

This is my leisure reading -- once the semester starts up, class reading commences and all this goes out the window. frusty.gif

traineraz
Well, DD, I'm a bit past 1/3 of House of Leaves, and I'm finding it both pretentious (Truant's overwrought prose, for one) and gimmicky. The section with meaningless lists in cross-referenced footnotes printed in multiple directions might have been less annoying if it served a purpose other than decoration. "Look at me! I know how to use InDesign!" Feh.

I got the point that the book was trying to be a labyrinth. It didn't work. Granted, I'm used to working with zoning codes and now statutes; I could be conditioned to handle it better.

Without spoiling for others, the story surrounds a "home movie" released by Touchstone and about which scores of books have been written. (It doesn't actually exist, nor do the scores of books referenced.) For some reason, JT is profoundly affected by reading Zampano's fairly dry analysis of the movie and the books which analyze it. Meanwhile, the rest of the world -- like the hundreds of thousands who saw the movie and bought all those books -- has had no such reaction. That, in itself, weakens the story. Maybe there's some twist coming up that will surprise me.

The underlying story is interesting enough to hold my attention -- only barely -- but there seem far too many licks required to reach the center of this Tootsie Pop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.