Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Control - Joy Division
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2
Marc
Who seen it ?

I've always been, and will always be, a Joy Division fan, so I would love to see that movie but it is not screened near where I live.

After the excellent and delirious 24 Hour Party People (2002), Control is another movie about Ian Curtis (short) life, but more dark this time, filmed in black & white by Anton Corbijn, a rock photograph et video clips director.
hartsmar
I really like Corbijn's photography and designs but I have a feeling that an entire movie by him will be over-pretentiously artsy-fartsy.

Marc
The critics are eulogistic about the movie.
Absomphe
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Sep 27 2007, 01:16 AM) *

I've always been, and will always be, a Joy Division fan

Isn't everybody?
Artemis
No. I've always heard that I should like them based on what else I like, but I don't think I've every heard them.

Amazon dot come says I should like Arcade Fire because I like Modest Mouse. Today on the radio I heard an old conservative fart say that some young people are taking him to an Arcade Fire concert because they say he must hear them. Who am I to go against talk radio or Amazon dot com?
Donnie Darko
That's OK. People tell me that because I like Depeche Mode, then I should like Ace of Base too because they're really similar. I hate every song ever written by Ace of Base. People also think that fans of Joy Division are fans of New Order. I think Joy Division was great, and I think New Order is awful. And yes, I like The Smiths too, but Morrissey? Not so much…
Sleeper
Ace of Base and Depeche Mode? blink.gif

But yeah I honestly can't even think of a single Morrissey song yet just got done listening to Meat is Murder for the 400th time.
Alyssa Dyane
QUOTE(Artemis @ Sep 28 2007, 02:08 PM) *

No. I've always heard that I should like them based on what else I like, but I don't think I've every heard them.

Amazon dot come says I should like Arcade Fire because I like Modest Mouse. Today on the radio I heard an old conservative fart say that some young people are taking him to an Arcade Fire concert because they say he must hear them. Who am I to go against talk radio or Amazon dot com?

I saw Arcade Fire at the Hollywood Bowl a couple weeks ago with LCD Soundsystem. I have to say that Arcade Fire put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen, and I go to A LOT of concerts. I think I actually cried at one point.

Oh, and I love Joy Division.
Wild Bill Turkey
I don't know Joy Division, but I liked 24 Hour Party People.

Here's an article by the NYT about the two new Joy Divsion movies coming out.
Patlow
Joy Division is really hard for a lot of people to digest. Everyone wears their t-shirts and claims to like them because they think they are supposed to. I've met few who actually listened to their albums over and over again in their entirety or could sing along… This movie looks interesting though and will hopefully inspire some young musicians and clue them into the phenom. that was Joy Division.

Interpol and She Wants Revenge have a lot in common with them, sound-wise, (Interpol being FAR superior) and I think it's cool that some bands today want to sound like them or something like them…

But I just saw Interpol and they were snooze-fest-y to me. Whatever. I'd def. check out this flick. It is playing at the Forum in NYC. Going up next week. I will give a review (or not).
Alyssa Dyane
I agree with you on live Interpol. I saw them a couple months ago at Weenie Roast, and really don't have any memory of them playing. They surely didn't capture the audience.

My calendar schedule this month is: Morrisey, Jesus & Mary Chain, and The Pogues. A good month.

I am looking forward to watching Control. I actually do listen to Joy Division at home. A favourite of both me and the old man.
Marc
QUOTE(Patlow @ Oct 9 2007, 09:52 PM) *

I've met few who actually listened to their albums over and over again in their entirety or could sing along…

I'm one of them.

Procession moves on, the shouting is over
Praise to the glory of loved ones now gone
Talking aloud as they sit round their tables
Scattering flowers washed down by the rain

Stood by the gate at the foot of the garden
Watching them pass like clouds in the sky
Try to cry out in the heat of the moment
Possessed by a fury that burns from inside

Cry like a child, though these years make me older
With children my time is so wastefully spent
Burden to keep, though their inner communion
Accept like a curse an unlucky deal

Played by the gate at the foot of the garden
My view stretches out from the fence to the wall
No words could explain, no actions determine
Just watching the trees and the leaves as they fall
Patlow
Hehehehe… Good stuff! BTW, Alyssa, I saw Morrissey this summer and he was INCREDIBLE. That old man can really belt out the tunes, every single song is like on 10 and his band is super tight and heavy. It's a greatest hits tour so prepare to be treated to lots of Smiths classics. :)
Alyssa Dyane
I am so excited to see him tonight. This will be my first time at the Hollywood Palladium, too.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Sep 27 2007, 04:16 AM) *

Who seen it ?

I've always been, and will always be, a Joy Division fan, so I would love to see that movie but it is not screened near where I live.

After the excellent and delirious 24 Hour Party People (2002), Control is another movie about Ian Curtis (short) life, but more dark this time, filmed in black & white by Anton Corbijn, a rock photograph et video clips director.

I finally saw it. I cannot recommend this movie enough to anyone who is a Joy Division fan. I've loved them since I first heard them in 1988, have read lots about them, have most of their recordings, and I still learned new things. I had no idea that "She's Lost Control" was about an epileptic girl Ian Curtis met while working in the unemployment office. The story is peppered with Ian Curtis' wife's perspective a lot, which is a very important and often overlooked part of Joy Division's story, and Samantha Morton does a great job of playing her.

What's also stellar is the covers of Joy Division songs that the actors in the movie manage to pull off, and the wizardry of the music engineer who makes it feel like you're in a club in Manchester hearing them play for the first time. And The Killers did a cover of Shadowplay for the end credits which is really really good, you can find it on iTunes. It's appropriate they contributed, since they (and Interpol) pretty much owe their existence to Joy Division.

It's all in B&W (has Corbijn ever done anything in colour), but it's not pretentious at all, in fact it fits the band, their minimalist bleak sound perfectly. The last shot of the film had quite the emotional impact, I won't spoil it for you. This is a really special movie. I have no idea if people who aren't serious Joy Division fans will be into it, but it was an important sober precursor to the equally excellent but goofy and happy-go-lucky "24 Hour Party People".

Sleeper
I'm still wondering how Ace of Base could conceivably be compared to Depeche Mode.
Marc
Thanks for the review DD. I really need to see it.
Donnie Darko
I sure hope it gets distributed properly. It should be playing on every college campus as far as I'm concerned. Apparently the attitude at the Weinstein Company, the film's US distributors, is that they're only showing it in a few cities and then that's it and they don't think it's that great. They must think people won't want to see it because it's in black & white or something and a lot of kids now don't know who Joy Division is. What morons. The Killers' cover of Shadowplay is actually a big hit over here, they even released it as a single, and that would be a great vehicle for promoting the film, but there is literally no mention of the Killers' song on any of the promotional info for the film, and most people don't even know it's a Joy Division cover.

I think the only business that's full of more clueless assholes than the film business is the music business…
Selmac
And politics.
Patlow
Just came home from this flick. Wow. It's haunting. Can't take your eyes off of "Ian." Good stuff. Good stuff.
Artemis
Last week or so Austin City Limits was on TV and the only band on the bill was The Arcade Fire. It was not a live show - the actual concert date was probably around the time of my post above about Arcade Fire, more than two years ago. I had not bothered to listen to their music in the two year interim.
Anyway, the TV show started and the band came filing out past the audience to get on stage, and it took about five minutes, there were so many players - violins, accordians, dobro, old rusty tubas and medieval looking brass instruments, I think one of them even had an old soup kettle he planned to bang on - and I thought, this looks bad. Then the concert started and I couldn't stop listening - at the end some of the audience were in tears (including me), some were reduced to jelly in their chairs and seemed in shock, some were bowing down and salaaming, etc. etc.
This band is way past something special. I can't recommend them strongly enough.

Examples:
Elevator Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg...feature=related
Music to Wake Up to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKC5pyOKFU...feature=related
Music to Die to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp34v6Lmcc...feature=related

For a taste of the energy that was in the ACL TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V41qkhU-98

Donnie Darko
When Arcade Fire was just getting started on the indie circuit, my ex-girlfriend told me they were mindblowing. At that particular point in my life, I really didn't want to have anything to do with anything she was enthusiastic about, so I never listened to them and wrote them off as yet another soulless indie 80s ripoff band. She was quite the groupie for a lot of "indie" wanker bands, and I figured they were just another one. I'd literally never heard a single song.

I was clearly in error. They are outstanding. Thanks for those links. Incidentally I nearly saw them at Coachella (the last link you posted), as I went to Coachella the previous year and saw The Pixies, Radiohead, Air, The Flaming Lips, The Cure and Kraftwerk (!), and was adamant about going the next year since I had such a great time, but ended up not being able to go because of work. I had no idea they could get such an enormous crowd like the one at Coachella that into their performance, as that is a really BIG crowd and Arcade Fire isn't an enormously popular band. That really says something about their music.

And now I must go buy their songs.

That track in the elevator is fantastic too. The last time I got goosebumps from a song like that that was when I saw Einsterzende Neubauten's final show in NYC. They had a similar hodge-podge of performers, though the only real instrument was a bass, everything else was found objects or compressed air blown through tubes, but they made it all sound more musical than most professional orchestras. Thanks for the heads up!
Artemis
I knew I was fishing in fruitful water when I saw you were on the board, Donnie.

Neon Bible is the cut in the elevator, title track of their second of two albums. That cut is part of a longer video that's on a French website somewhere. They go from the dressing room into the elevator and play, and then come out and play another tune in a room full of people. The guy "playing" the magazine in the elevator is a brilliant touch. At the Austin City Limits show, the lead man (Win Butler) went out into the audience and I was curious to see what reaction he would get (I didn't know if was a home with the armadillo crowd or whatever) but he was reverently mobbed, people just gently touching him like touching the hem of Jesus's garment or something. It was something to see. Search Youtube for their other songs - I don't think you can go wrong with anything they've done. The lyrics are as deadly as the music - check out Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) for example.
Oxygenee
You young people and your "pop" music!
Patlow
Rebellion (Lies) is one of the best pop songs ever written. I can't stand to watch them live but do enjoy their music when it pops up on shuffle.
Marc
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jan 5 2010, 12:43 PM) *

You young people and your "pop" music!

Well, Stravinsky is cool too…

… for old men.

Provenance
As opposed to a cool old man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHwnFAkuA
absinthist
QUOTE(Marc @ Jan 5 2010, 09:03 AM) *

Well, Stravinsky is cool too
… for old men.

Truly old people listen to Puccini or Paderewski, Stravinsky is still for the kids.
Tibro
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jan 5 2010, 06:06 PM) *

I hear what you're saying, but it''s my understanding that cool old men don't spend time alone in a bathhouse with only their guitar.

But maybe that's a different culture.
G&C
He's just waiting on a friend.
Tibro
The day can come when you get old and sick and tired of life
You just never realize maybe the choice you made wasn't really right
Artemis
The day can come when you're old and sick and tired of life and you DO realize many choices you made weren't really right.

But Jimi said: "I got a bad, bad feeling my baby don't live here no more... But that's alright I still got my guitar." Possibly he could get an amen from Andres.

Absomphe
QUOTE(absinthist @ Jan 5 2010, 10:17 AM) *

Truly old people listen to Henry Tudor gettin' down with Greensleeves

In Poland, I'm sure that passes for thrash metal, at the very least.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jan 5 2010, 11:06 AM) *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHwnFAkuA

Several years ago Segovia was at a party, a Gypsy guitarist played for Segovia, an astounded Segovia asked the Gypsy where he could get the music for the piece the Gypsy had played.

The Gypsy laughed and said he was just improvising. (He couldn't read music, or even read much of anything for that matter)

The Gypsy
Artemis
Greenimp visited me recently and we stayed up late drinking Herbsaint (the new old one, not the old old one or the current one) and we checked the Internets to entertain each other with various tedious minutiae. He showed me that old film of Django. I had heard of Django but not heard him - I was shocked to see he only had the use of two fingers on his fretting hand. Hardly anybody else could play that with all their fingers. Neither Segovia nor Hendrix had anything on the Gypsy.

The next morning they had Greenimp on TV in New Orleans to talk about the new Herbsaint - at about 5:30 in the morning. Our boy looked pretty rough - I had said goodnight to him about three hours before that. So this infotwit on the TV introduced him as being with The Herbsaint Authority (WTF?). It took me a few seconds to realize she meant he IS an Herbsaint authority. She then invited the weatherman over for a taste and said a number of ignorant things (licorice, etc.) while listening to nothing the authority said and comprehending less than that. I told Jay he should have gone upside her head with the antique Herbsaint bottle that was on the table for a prop. That would have put him on all the Internets for the rest of the day and for posterity, and she would have received all the education she was capable of absorbing. It would have been like the dumbass disciple asking "what is the Buddha?" and Zen master Rinzai replying by applying his heavy walking stick, but the Orleans Parish sheriff probably would not have understood the need for such strong medicine.

Jay also told me something else, which he had mentioned here long ago, but I had never followed up. In his youth he was watching an old movie with his father and there was absinthe in the movie. Jay asked, what is absinthe, and his father said something you can't get. So of course he had to have some, but it took many years to slip the cup to the lip. See the pertinent scene here (note Shemp of the Three Stooges as the bartender and the doubletake he does when the patron knocks down the shots of absinthe):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpDD0eOq-0o

thegreenimp
As Herbsaint & travel lagged as I was, I'm amazed I didn't pass out in front of the camera.
I didn't even get a drink before being on the air. sleepy.gif

At least I got the TV people to drink straight Herbsaint on ice with no water…… shock.gif
Donnie Darko
Is it true that the Herbsaint repro is macerated, not distilled? I have nothing against macerated beverages if made well, I just didn't know if that was the case or not.
Artemis
It's my understanding that it is not distilled with herbs in the pot, but neither was the "vintage" product, and certainly not the current product. I think the new product has merit, some of it for giving people with no access to the vintage some idea of what the stuff USED TO be.
thegreenimp
The vintage Herbsaint, and vintage repro Herbsaint Original are both macerated.

Sazerac followed Marion Legendre's original written instructions.

I only know of one distilled American absinthe substitute, and no one has yet found an intact full bottle, or even an empty bottle.
Artemis
And that's a shame.

What I can say about the new Herbsaint per the vintage recipe is that it tastes very good, louches very strong, and, although I don't mix absinthe with anything but water, would probably be much better than the current Herbsaint for making those drinks, recipes, etc. that call for an absinthe substitute (usually Herbsaint).
eric
Hmm, the sample that I have does not louche very strong.
I do like the way it tastes.
Artemis
You have to use very cold water. I just watered a sample from the faucet and it didn't louche at all - I felt pretty stupid, but then I got a bottle of ice cold water out of the Frigidel and it confirmed my original intention.
Artemis
Now I realize that I have the sample in a Meadow of Love bottle, next to a Meadow of Love bottle with Meadow of Love in it. Maybe I took down the wrong bottle. Never believe anything you read on this wanker forum.

It still tastes good, though.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 6 2010, 02:27 PM) *

Never believe anything you read on this wanker forum.

Edward IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, is that you?
Provenance
No reason not to believe what I read on this wanker forum. I just need to expect that Herbsaint discussions will be found in the Joy Division thread.

Works for me.
Artemis
I hear and understand, but conversations in person don't stay "on topic" either and much of the beauty is in the evolution, so to speak. People who always put everything back on the same shelf from which they took it could be viewed as efficient and logical, or as mentally ill. People who don't are probably just lazy, to which I confess. When Jay offered me a generous sample out of his bottle of new Herbsaint, I had no empty bottles at hand other than a Meadow of Love, so it got poured into that bottle. The fact that the two could be confused says something, maybe.
Provenance
This place would be boring if conversations stayed on track. I was merely making an ironic observation, this being the Control thread, not criticizing.
kaseijin
To bring it back on topic, my lady got me the deluxe boxed set of remastered Joy Division vinyl for my birthday!

Best. Girlfriend. Evar.

(Oh and yes… Arcade Fire are good, too)

Marc
What a nice birthday gift!
Artemis
In all seriousness, Eric was correct. Herbsaint does not louche "very strong" regardless of water temperature.
It seems I had mistakenly poured a (very small) dose of absinthe at the start of what was intended to be an Herbsaint sampling session, and it was that which louched. I don't want to mislead anybody, and I apologize for the mistake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.