Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tomorrow: The Great American Beer Festival!!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Hemingway's Hangover
w00t2.gif 408 breweries, 1884 beers…yumyumyumyumyum!
Absomphe
1994…Ah, the nostalgia!

I only sampled about 240 of 'em, though.
Marc
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Oct 13 2007, 07:15 AM) *

1994…Ah, the nostalgia!

1797…Ah, the nostalgia!
absinthist
1698…Ah, the nostalgia!
Tibro
Tomorrow Never Knows … Ah, The Beatles.
G&C
2007…Ah, the nostalgia!
Hemingway's Hangover
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Oct 12 2007, 11:15 PM) *

I only sampled about 240 of 'em, though.

I learned years ago that trying to sample every beer at the GABF is a fool's errand. A damn enjoyable fool's errand, but ultimately doomed to failure -- drunken, drunken failure -- nonetheless. These days I focus on one style -- stouts or belgian sours, usually -- and try to find those instead.

I'm just about to hop on my bicycle and ride down to meet my buddy (the cruise home should be a blast! Can I get a shoutout for BUI? Woohoo!). I taught him to homebrew years ago and now he is studying zymurgy at UC-Davis. He interned with Stone Brewing ("Arrogant Bastard", anyone?) and drove back out to CO just to drink w/me at the festival. It's going to be a great day!

abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
QUOTE(Hemingway's Hangover @ Oct 13 2007, 10:00 AM) *

I learned years ago that trying to sample every beer at the GABF is a fool's errand. A damn enjoyable fool's errand, but ultimately doomed to failure -- drunken, drunken failure -- nonetheless.

I'd already learned the same lesson by that time, as well, that's why I only sampled about one out of every seven. harhar.gif

Seriously, though, I wasn't all that bad off the following morning, so I hopped on a bus to Boulder, and checked out the four or five breweries it had to offer. abs-cheers.gif

As far as Stone isc concerned, I find their beers to be generally good (the Vertical Epic series, and the Imperial Stout), but also overrated, particularly Arrogant Bastard, which is nothing more than an alpha acid trip. I think Stone's hoppier ales could achieve a lot more finesse if they'd only add more aromatic hops to brew kettle, and cut down a bit on the monster hops.
Absomphe
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Oct 13 2007, 12:14 AM) *

1797…Ah, the nostalgia!

Days of Future Passed, even.
Provenance
Nostalgia for Pontarlier Fried Absinthe?
Hemingway's Hangover
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Oct 13 2007, 10:18 AM) *

As far as Stone is concerned, I find their beers to be[…]overrated, particularly Arrogant Bastard, which is nothing more than an alpha acid trip. I think Stone's hoppier ales could achieve a lot more finesse if they'd only add more aromatic hops to brew kettle, and cut down a bit on the monster hops.

Ah yes, the super-lemony Centennial hop. Apparently, Stone doesn't pay their brewers worth a damn, either.

I had a superb Imperial Spruce Lager from a Short's, a small brewpub in MI that doesn't bottle or distribute. It was one of my absolute favorites. And of course many, many delicious stouts.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Hemingway's Hangover @ Oct 15 2007, 09:02 AM) *

Apparently, Stone doesn't pay their brewers worth a damn, either.

When one considers their thoroughly obnoxious, and nacissistic CEO, that's hardly surprising.
Provenance
Now that's the truth.

Oh wait, you meant the brewer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.