Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Australia's first (legal) premium Absinthe.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Ricki
OK, so i only heard about this the other day, but there is actually a real Absinthe legally distilled right here in Australia.

It is distilled by the Tamborine Mountain Distillery on the Gold Coast of Australia.

This Absinthe has recently won the Gold Medal at the 2007 World Spirits Awards in Austria so I am guessing that it has to be at least half decent.

The description on their website is:

Moulin Rooz
Five-times distilled from the finest grapes, with a perfect balance of Elderflower, Gentian, Fennelseed, Hyssop and Wormwood.
A perfect expression of bitter and aromatic herbs, with hints of the Australian Bush.

I have ordered myself a bottle of this from their website and it should arrive sometime this week. As soon as I try it, I will post a review in this topic.

Click Here for more info on this Australian Absinthe.

absintheglass-glow2.gif
absinthist
Thought Bush was originally from Texas.
Tibro
Everyone knows bush is found south of the equator. With the scent of Oceania wafting near.
absinthist
Not everyone understands humour, though.
Tibro
If you mean vitreous than it should be transparent.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 20 2007, 05:12 AM) *

Everyone knows bush is found south of the equator. With the scent of Oceania wafting near.

You can tune a piano, but…
absinthist
Butt not the pianoforte, Buggy-old friend harhar.gif

Asstomp is right, ya're wrong, it is very, very really olde song.
absinthist
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 20 2007, 05:40 AM) *

If you mean vitreous than it should be transparent.

Mebbe translucent? chickawow.gif
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Ricki @ Oct 20 2007, 10:11 AM) *

As soon as I try it, I will post a review in this topic.

Nice! The thread "Newly rated absinthes" is the best place for absinthes not yet reviewed. And welcome!

BR

Ricki
Ok, i finally received the bottle of 'Moulin Rooz' today and below are the pictures of the bottle, the absinthe, the louche, and the finished drink. Also, a short review on what i thought of the drink.

The bottle:
IPB Image

Quite a nicely presented bottle although the front label could look a little more professional, but let's not judge a book by it's cover.

The back label reads:
Moulin Rooz
Absinthe
Moulin Rooz is Australia's first premium Absinthe. Five times-distilled from the finest Australian grapes, with perfect balance of Elderflower, Gentian, Fennelseed, Hyssop and Wormwood(chop.gif), Moulin Rooz is further enhanced with Austraian Native Aniseed Myrtle and other selected botanicals. A perfect expression of bitter and aromatic herbs, with hints of the Australian Bush. (Natural herbal particles may be present)

You can see tiny herbal particles floating throughout the bottle, but nothing like the KOSG shit.

On first open of the bottle there is a very floral smell along with aniseed and other aromas you would expect with most absinthes. There are also other aromas which i can't quite put my finger on, but this absinthe does smell quite nice.

The absinthe:
IPB Image

A dark/bright emerald green, if that makes any sense. It is obviously artificially but does not look that bad.

The louche:
IPB Image

Obviously as I stated above, the colour looks very artificial but the louche does come along nicely and you can definitely start to smell the 'hints of the australian bush' as described on the label.

The finished drink:
IPB Image

A nice "just right" type of louche but the green is too prominent. Anyway, on to how it tastes.

This definitely tastes like a decent absinthe, although a different kind of absinthe. The australian herbs and botanicals really give this absinthe a nice overall aroma and taste which is not present in any other absinthe i have tried.
There is quite a bitterness to this absinthe though, but that is balanced with the other herbs almost perfectly. The bitterness comes more as a slight aftertaste.

Overall, i think this may be an absinthe that I will order again. I really like the packaging, i love the aroma, and the taste is very nice and unique and it does not try to be a clone of any other absinthe on the market.

I would recommend this absinthe to anyone who would like to try something different and unique.
Provenance
QUOTE(Ricki @ Oct 22 2007, 07:16 PM) *

you can definitely start to smell the 'hints of the australian bush'

IPB Image
Absomphe
Nice redundant photo, Pro.
Provenance
Thx.
Absomphe
Provenance
Amathematician: How can you possibly believe in an imaginary number such as i, the square root of negative one?

Mathematician: What's so hard about that?

Amathematician: Well, if i is a number, is it bigger than 0 or less than 0? Is it more or less than 10, or 100, or 1000?

Mathematician: None of those--it's different. That's not really the right question to be asking.

Amathematician: If i isn't comparable to any number, why do you maintain that it exists?

Mathematician: The number i doesn't exist anywhere on the real line. It is in a different dimension. Do you see?

Amathematician: No, I don't. Look, if you believe in i, but it isn't real, what's the point?

Mathematician: It is very real to me. It helps me to do the things I do. Without it, I'd have a very hard time.

Amathematician: Believing in a number that isn't real helps you live your life? You sound like a sap.

Mathematician: Ah, but i is so beautiful and intuitive and necessary--how do I explain? Let's see….

Okay, this isn't really the way I think about it, but perhaps it'll make some sense to your kind of thinking. The number i is like a useful abstract concept or, perhaps, a well-defined word in a language.

With some problems I am trying to tackle, if I can figure out how i fits into the problem, I can then immediately draw on a vast amount wisdom, and use it in my attempts to work toward a solution.

Not only that, when talking with others like me on how I would tackle the problem, references to i allow them to draw on the same knowledge, to more clearly and more quickly understand the approach I am taking.

Amathematician: I'm starting to understand what you're getting at…. But I get along just fine without the number i. It can't be necessary.

Mathematician: I don't understand how you do that. If you avoid i and the associated body of knowledge, don't you have to reinvent the wheel every time? Won't things be unpredictable? Won't you make mistakes?

Amathematician: No, I do just fine. Although I don't really think of it this way, your metaphor works--I have a language I use to speak about the world, and to speak with others like me.

The language I use is different from yours. I don't yet fully understand your language, but it may be the case that my language is neither better nor worse than yours.
traineraz
Is it Spanish?

It's Spanish, isn't it?
The Standard Deviant
Actualmente, utilizo el número « i » la mayoría de los días.
Selmac
What on earth for?
Absomphe
It helps explain why the royal family gets such a big welfare check, silly.
The Standard Deviant
i is useful because it lets you convert cos(x) and sin(x) into exponential forms.

IPB Image

The thing on the left can be turned into the things on the right, which although they may look more complicated can make various bits of maths a lot easier. When it was invented, i was a curiosity, but it actually has a lot of uses.

If you were being serious, Selmac, I hope that was slightly enlightening. If you were joking; reading that was your punishment. Why on Earth would I want to do any maths? Studying Physics tends to require it a bit.
Provenance
Provenance
STD*Hg=Mad as a hatter
Selmac
"I study physics" would have been fine, but thanks for the detailed explanation SD.

It saddens me that all of the calculus I learned in school is little more than gibberish to me now. Use it or loose it I guess.
Ricki
Nice to see this is still on topic. hyper.gif
jonathan_carfax

I was in Mount Tamborine for a wedding this weekend and used the opportunity to drop in and pick up some bottles - I met the proprietors Michael and Alla Ward and managed a quick chat, but was constrained on time as I had to be at the ceremony in an hour.

Anyhoo - Alla is the Master (or is that Mistress) Distiller, and I was priviliged to be admitted into the Sanctum Sanctorum of her distilling workshop, a workspace she is very protective of.

This is truly an artisan operation, big jars steeping tropical fruits and herbs everywhere making flavour bases, a rich atmospheric smell and quite a small still - not a set up for mass commercial production capacity. And what was most interesting was Ana did not base her absinthe on any old existing recipes. Being a long time distiller and liqueur maker (and critic of Czech absinth) her approach was based more on intuition, experience and "what would a French absintheur like to drink?".

And while some may question the use of Australian herbs in an absinthe, we know for a fact a eucalyptus absinthe was being produced in Australia in the late 1800's, so this is something of a re-emergence of a 'local innovation'.

(I also tried their eucalyptus vodka - very tasty!)

I'll be interviewing them more in depth quite soon and will be posting it up on my site (blatant pimping alert)
Ricki
I've also posted a proper review of Moulin Rooz in the newly rated absinthes thread: http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?s=…st&p=141909

Good blog Jon. I was told about it from the nice people over at Absinthe Salon.
tristan
Just sampled the Moulin Rooz today, and it's definitely worth looking into - very unconventional, reminicient of the Montmartre. Posted a review in the Buyers' Guide.
jonathan_carfax
QUOTE(tristan @ Jan 2 2008, 05:05 AM) *

Just sampled the Moulin Rooz today, and it's definitely worth looking into - very unconventional, reminicient of the Montmartre. Posted a review in the Buyers' Guide.

Nice review Tristan!

I've been wanting to tipple more over Xmas, but with the successive days between 38-42 degrees C we have had in Adelaide has been a little too oppressive for considered absinthe drinking (I think you had a couple of scorchers around 40C as well…?)

I think this absinthe may be one to watch over time as I suspect Alla is a "tinkerer" with her liquer formulations, since it is an on premises low run operation, so we may see some subtle changes over time.

You are quite right about us "needing" a local product at that price point - a welcome addition. abs-cheers.gif
scott001
And the chop.gif content is?? I have been trying for weeks to get a reply from this mob.
Absomphe
QUOTE(scott001 @ Nov 17 2011, 02:12 AM) *

And the chop.gif content is??

Irrelevant. harhar.gif
scott001
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Nov 17 2011, 11:57 PM) *

And the chop.gif content is??

Irrelevant. harhar.gif

Not to me!!! harhar.gif
Alan

And the chop.gif content is?? I have been trying for weeks to get a reply from this mob.

Since the Australian limit is the same as the US, here's the amount indicated as a % of the product:

Less than 0.001%

Assuming you add water, it will be even less.
Tibro
Just for comparison's sake lead levels in the bloodstream, right up to amounts that are considered lead poisoning, are measured in parts per billion.

Remember, every little bit helps. Or harms. Potentially.
Green Baron
Butt than again you shouldn't feed lead to your porkchop.
Tibro
While we all know that ingesting lead is child's play, it's still true that you can lead a porkchop to lead but, fortunately, you can't make it indulge. Depending on the solder.

What happens to porkchops down-under may be a different story though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.