Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time Magazine
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Oxygenee
The disgraceful recent Time Magazine article
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/…1689232,00.html

is already spreading through the blogosphere
http://www.newser.com/story/12989.html?rss=y

It's really incredibly disappointing that Dr Arnold, who's published no research in this field for more than a decade, should lend his good name to a journalistic travesty like this.
Absomphe
"… absinthe gets its chartreuse hue from wormwood…".

The dumass misspelled absinth…

Or he was trippin'balz™ on Segarra 68.
Zman
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 2 2007, 08:02 AM) *

It's really incredibly disappointing that Dr Arnold, who's published no research in this field for more than a decade, should lend his good name to a journalistic travesty like this.

Perhaps a person of your high-standing in the absinthe arena should contact the good doctor and educate him?
speedle
From what I read over at the WS, some guy named tabreaux has recently. wink.gif To what avail, we shall see.
Oxygenee
At this stage, it appears to no avail.
speedle
Letters to the editor?
Absinthesizer
I've sent one, fwiw. It includes my boilerplate challenge to the authentic-absinthe-makes-you-trip-balz crowd:
All it takes to see through the myth of absinthe’s remarkable psychoactive effects is a little common sense. We’re talking about a drink that was the most popular distilled spirit in France for roughly a quarter-century: If absinthe had really been causing millions of French to hallucinate daily, it would have been banned a lot sooner than it was.

Of course, we all know what a powerful rhetorical tool an appeal to reason is!
Donnie Darko
Do they have editors at Time magazine?
Kirk
If you drink three bottles, you are going to do something stupid."
Donnie Darko
Um, yeah, since drinking 3 bottles IS something stupid.
Absomphe
And, anyway, what other stupid thing could you after drinking three bottles, besides prematurely dying.
absinthist
3 litres of booze at 53%? Lots of puking after first two wacko.gif
Patlow
Can someone with some experience and clout please do something about this? Damn it!!!
traineraz
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Dec 3 2007, 08:44 AM) *

And, anyway, what other stupid thing could you after drinking three bottles, besides prematurely dying.

Prematurely = before finishing the third bottle?
Tibro
No, the word there would be "mercifully".
absinthist
QUOTE(traineraz @ Dec 3 2007, 10:15 AM) *

Prematurely = before finishing the third bottle?

2 litres make 13.25 pro milles for a 80kg guy, it is rather comatose stage when you barely move, so reaching third bot would be almost impossible. You wanna try, TAZ?
Tibro
What's the saturation where one loses the ability to type coherently?
absinthist
The range starts with 1.5 pro mille, gets more evident with further concentrations. Depends on the personal ability of alcohol tolerance, at 1.5 pro mille you might stagger as well but your typing abilities won't be impaired at all, for instance.

From what I have just checked 3 pro milles is the beginning of losing control over movements and physical abilities of speaking, writing, not counting loss of balance from time to time.
Hemingway's Hangover
Their email for letters to the editor is letters@time.com. I just sent a rather scathing little missive, I hope many of you do as well. Let 'em have it -- they deserve both barrels for this piece of tripe.
Donnie Darko
I remeber reading some of Hunter S. Thompsons's letters to editors that were hysterical. One of them recommended that the editors cut off the hands of the offending journalist so that they could never write again.
Pataphysician
Here, Bob shows you how to deal with Time magazine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR8YuIGqWi4

Hemingway's Hangover
Brilliant, truly brilliant. As that wonderful fruit Allen Ginsberg wrote, "I refuse to let my emotional life be run by Time magazine."

Dylan: "I know more about what you do, just by looking, than you will ever know about me…I don't want any answers from you."

Hell, yeah.

chickawow.gif
Absomphe
Plus, Dylan's hairline kicked ass! chickawow.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.